www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 1st, 2009, 11:10   #61
mctdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGerhardt
Question, do you have a temp guage or an idiot light? Becareful if going on long hauls.
FYI The OEM gauge is an idiot gauge. As it shows 190'F from about 155'F to 215'F actual.

One needs Scan gauge or VagCom to see actual coolant temperature.
R.I.P. 2004 Golf 362,993 miles,

Last edited by mctdi; January 1st, 2009 at 13:09.
mctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:17   #62
hobbyshop
Veteran Member

i just went out to take a peak at what i was supposed to cover up to help with warming up the engine... i'm not sure what i'm supposed to be blocking... doesn't look like there's any space in there behind the FMIC (nor can i get behind there).. and i assume blocking behind the fans isn't going to help any
hobbyshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 13:10   #63
mctdi
Veteran Member

Most use something to cover up / close off the center set of grills. There are many posts with pictures showing this, such as post #47 on page #4 of this thread.
Old January 1st, 2009, 13:29   #64
hobbyshop
Veteran Member

that only works if you still have the intercooler on the passenger side. my intercooler is in the center right behind the center set of grills... i can't block that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctdi
Most use something to cover up / close off the center set of grills. There are many posts with pictures showing this, such as post #47 on page #4 of this thread.
hobbyshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 14:04   #65
mctdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyshop
that only works if you still have the intercooler on the passenger side. my intercooler is in the center right behind the center set of grills... i can't block that...
Hobbyshop

If the intercooler is close to the AC condenser or radiator. Then there may be no way to block air flow through that part of the radiator without also blocking the intercooler.

You should still be able to block the upper grill, so there is less air flow through the radiator and engine compartment.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 21:57   #66
rbanwart

A friend told me about a VW Part for my Golf TDI that handles this function. It is their "Cold Weather Front," part no. ZVW-193-899. It was $29.59 plus tax. I picked it up this evening after work, and have not yet installed it. It comes with three parts/covers...two for the upper center grill (one on each side of the VW emblem), and one for the lower grill. The lower passenger and driver-side grills are left uncovered. The instructions are simple and detailed. I expect it will take about 5 minutes. The parts appears to be of high quality 'car bra' type material. It seems like a reasonable price for the best-looking, and probably most effective, solution...and has some professional engineering behind the design. I'll post again when I witness the results.
rbanwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:55   #67
jetdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanwart
A friend told me about a VW Part for my Golf TDI that handles this function. It is their "Cold Weather Front," part no. ZVW-193-899. It was $29.59 plus tax. I picked it up this evening after work, and have not yet installed it. It comes with three parts/covers...two for the upper center grill (one on each side of the VW emblem), and one for the lower grill. The lower passenger and driver-side grills are left uncovered. The instructions are simple and detailed. I expect it will take about 5 minutes. The parts appears to be of high quality 'car bra' type material. It seems like a reasonable price for the best-looking, and probably most effective, solution...and has some professional engineering behind the design. I'll post again when I witness the results.
What year of Golf? The local dealer told me there is not one available for the 06?
jetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:20   #68
CMB430
Veteran Member

Well, a little update for you guys. I have had my front covered for a while now. I heat up about 40% faster, have picked up about 2 mpg in the mornings (its chilly here in MN), and I did NOT use zip ties and have made it through 3 car washes with no foam moving. If you follow my instal points, as well as the others' who mirror the opinion, for less than $5 you can have a nice solution. Happy wintering!

SOLD at 44K miles: 2009 Jetta TDI, 6M, fog lights, protection package.
CMB430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:20   #69
2td

cmb430 is your body an mk5, I believe this is start of the 06 jetta line.. I have such, and before I saw this Post, I duc tapped off the entire front to keep out the salt & rocks & obviously get the car to warm up and stay up.. (the cheeper tape will kill my paint) before said thread didn't even know there was a difference.. If the mk 4 cooler is in the side, is the mk5 the lower of the center grills?
2td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:48   #70
2td

sweeps I have an 06 like yours,, can you block off too much? Also where is the inter cooler on this car,, I used coroplast and covered the whole bottom.. Wikepedia has an article which said you may go beyond engine design..but maybe thats @ l00degrees.?? tom
2td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:27   #71
daniel_mad
Veteran Member

Default Perfect fit

if you cut the pipes length wise just enough for them to squish tighter, you can get them to fit perfectly, to the point where they're not even noticeable. Such as this picture:

I dont know about you, but it sure looks alot nicer than those grill covers and cheaper too, while keeping the original styling of the car. Total cost: $9.45 and i've actually noticed a nice increase on my MGP when i use powerservice with the insulation.

2005 VW GOLF GLS 1.9 TDI-PD (Reflex Silver) 106,000KM -Ventectomy, 5th Brake light, Jarama Rims, Sport-TDI cluster, EMT-Powers Stage 1 Tune with EGR Delete

Last edited by daniel_mad; January 9th, 2009 at 11:47.
daniel_mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 17:13   #72
lliscio

Default Foam covers (city vs long hwy trip)?

My drive to work is very short, and my car does not warm up (it has been -20*C in Montreal). I like the foam idea and will definitely try it on my 03 wagon. My question is, should I take the foam out for longer trips? I drive to Toronto (500kms) every few weeks. I like the idea of zip ties, but that would be a waste if I would need to remove them.

Also...in another thread on TDIclub, I read that shifting at higher RMPs (longer through the gears) would help warm up faster. Is this ok? I tried this for the past few short drives to work, and the coolant temp gauge actually moves off the first three bars and close to centre.

Thanks!
lliscio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 17:23   #73
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Longer trips are no problem, unless you drove somewhere really hot like over 25degC and got stuck in traffic there... even then you might be okay.
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 18:43   #74
dayne66
Veteran Member

and no temp probs at 9*c..........just used the left-over insulation from my reno and taped off the back of the VW logo....looks better at 20'!!

Last edited by dayne66; January 17th, 2009 at 19:06.
dayne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 18:56   #75
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke
.....I run mine blocked off all summer and the only time I noticed anything different was when I was pulling the trailer when it was 80F out and the A/C was on. (IAT's were ~225F). I stopped and removed the lower center and intercooler grills and the temps dropped to ~125F.

For the most effective result, block all frontal passages.
Get a scangauge if you're unsure, but even in the summer with the A/C on and a full frontal block my coolant temps never go over 205 F unless pulling a trailer like mentioned above.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote