www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 20th, 2006, 10:29   #1
daedalus
Veteran Member

Default What battery size for an '05 Passat TDI?

I've read various threads and links but can't find the answer....

My guess is that a 2005 Passat TDI uses a type 94R battery.

Can anyone confirm or correct?

Thanks
RocketChip Stage 1 -- 5 Micron fuel filter - EVO Thor skidplate -- Huper-Optik 50 tint - FrostHeater Coolant Heater -- Ventectomy - Chain-free at 100K miles -- Bosch 5V steel GPs -- Torque Converter done at 127K miles
SOLD at 140,800 miles - Torque Converter again! Now pushing a B6 gasser wagon
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 16:40   #2
Dick_Larimore
Veteran Member

Default B5.5 Battery Dimensions

I measured my Passat sedan B5.5 battery to be 11" long X 7" wide X 7.5" tall. The closest group size appears to be a group 48. A group 94R is listed at 12.375" long (other dimensions are the same as a group 48). I don't know if you can get the longer battery in the tray. The following Sears Diehard appears to fit:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
Dick_Larimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 16:57   #3
daedalus
Veteran Member

Thanks! I guess my 94R was not the answer. I'll dig out the ruler, though I'm sure I'll see the same as you measured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Larimore
I measured my Passat sedan B5.5 battery to be 11" long X 7" wide X 7.5" tall. The closest group size appears to be a group 48. A group 94R is listed at 12.375" long (other dimensions are the same as a group 48). I don't know if you can get the longer battery in the tray. The following Sears Diehard appears to fit:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
RocketChip Stage 1 -- 5 Micron fuel filter - EVO Thor skidplate -- Huper-Optik 50 tint - FrostHeater Coolant Heater -- Ventectomy - Chain-free at 100K miles -- Bosch 5V steel GPs -- Torque Converter done at 127K miles
Old November 20th, 2006, 18:36   #4
TDIPASSATGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35.2 lifetime

I thought I had it at my fingertips... I got an Interstate last month that fit fine. The paperwork doesn't show the model, but 94R rings a bell. It was starting a bit slow when cold. It tested weak. The new battery kicks it off MUCH better. I'm surprised at needing a battery before tires or brakes. 60 K miles
Old November 20th, 2006, 20:55   #5
Smokerr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5/32/28

FYI, the Interstate Battery is my first and only choice in batteries these days.

They are made by Johnson Controls (yea I know, its a odd world), who also make the Motorcraft, Costco and some of the Wal-Mart’s. 9-12 years are common for them. And they deliver in the cold.

I have detected our battery feeling weak, so it may just not be a good OEM. It should be under warranty, but then you get another?????

Next question, how to you get the plastic tr9im piece off the top?

Measure up the tray, not the battery, and close attention to height as well, and then put the biggest one you can fit in it! (and let us know what it was of course!)

I use their 4D type for generators, they are so reliable, I don’t bother to take the hydrometer readings, and they last 7+ years. Lucky to get 3 out of most batteries, 5 is doing great.
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:38   #6
TDIPASSATGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35.2 lifetime

I just pulled the cover off to check.
Interstate MTP91 - It is tight but fits. The OE has a drain port and a hose to exit the battery box Interstate does not.

I have had the same success with Interstate as SMOKERR, and failures with all others. I paid $104 installed after calling the dealer to check on warranty. I was told at 56K it was out of warranty. When I got home with the invoice I saw in the file the letter from VWoA extending my bumper to bumper warranty to 62K becuase it took 6 weeks to diagnose and replace a bad turbo. Oh well, like SMOKERR was saying --- did I really want another 2 YR OE battery when my first indication of a bad battery is 1000 miles from home in a hotel parking lot? NO WAY.

Last edited by TDIPASSATGUY; November 21st, 2006 at 11:43.
TDIPASSATGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 18:48   #7
Basenji
Veteran Member

Interesting, mine went out at around 54,000 miles. It was 2.5 years old.
Old November 24th, 2006, 14:10   #8
Smokerr
Veteran Member

Still would like ti know how the trim piece over the top of the battery comes off, you can't pull out through that little inspection thingy.

As for batteries

Battery longevity is a combination of time, heat and charge. Heat and charge time being worse (they age just sitting there as well, but it’s the other two that usually get them).

54k in 2.5 years is a lot, but if you figure 15k a year average, that’s 4 years driving (charge time) not a whole lot, it should last longer.

Worst service abuse is a lot of charge time and heat (not miles necessarily, i.e. taxi cab continuously running in traffice, lots of heat under the hood).

My battery is not dead, its just getting weak. Will see if it goes till spring and then off to the Interstate store (probably sooner, as its only November, and amidst a long if not deep (i.e. -10F) cold spell)
Old November 24th, 2006, 17:26   #9
daedalus
Veteran Member

Smokerr,

The entire top trim section in the top rear of the engince compartment comes off. It is a bit intimidating to read, but once you try it you will see it's very easy.

Tehre is a rubber trim, about 1" in diameter that holds the whole thing in place. Start 'peeling' the rubber trim strip back from one end or the other - it doesn't matter which. It peels right off and then the whole plastic 'shelf' pops right out.

Installation is just the reverse. I know it sounds scary, but as soon as you start you will see it's a piece of cake.

I also read my warranty booklet yesterday. The stock battery has a 4 year/48K mile warranty (or something like that). The 'magic eye' is black and I'm pretty sure the OEM battery is a sealed unit. I'm going to visit the dealer on Monday to see if it can be replaced under warranty. I believe the OEM battery is undersized for the application but I will live with it if they replace it for free.
Old November 27th, 2006, 16:52   #10
daedalus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
I also read my warranty booklet yesterday. The stock battery has a 4 year/48K mile warranty (or something like that). The 'magic eye' is black and I'm pretty sure the OEM battery is a sealed unit. I'm going to visit the dealer on Monday to see if it can be replaced under warranty. I believe the OEM battery is undersized for the application but I will live with it if they replace it for free.
It's a cruel, cruel world. I took the car to the dealer this morning to have the system checked. Their answer is that something is drawing current when the ignition is in the 'off' position and that is what is drawing down the battery. They pulled the radio fuse and the current draw stopped.

I tend to believe them since I have added a few after market gadgets: radar detector, XM-receiver, GPS, replaced the stock head unit with a Pioneer, scanner radio. OK, so I'm a gadget freak! My suspicion is that the XM receiver (an XM-Direct) is drawing the current all the time. All except the XM and the GPS are powered by a switched power source. My weak memory tells me that there are 2 power leads on the XM, one hot and one switched. I probably tied them together because it was 'easier'. The problem is that the XM-Direct is a b***h to get to - I buried it up above and behind the glove box.

I figure I have three options:
1. Remove the glove box (again!) to check and rewire the XM
2. Remember to start the car every 2 days whether I drive it or not (back to the italics: weak memory)
3. Buy a new battery with a higher amp-hour rating
4. Remember to plug in a battery charger on weekends (back to italics yet again)

It's too cold for the glove box trick so I'm down to 3 choices. Kind of leaning to a more robust battery since I know I'll screw up on choices 2 and 4.

BTW - the dealer was Douglas VW in Summit NJ. I was nervous about getting raped but they did me right. They diagnosed the problem, didn't mention all of the accessories in their computer entry and didn't charge me a dime!
Old November 27th, 2006, 17:30   #11
tdireader
Veteran Member

TDI(s): TDI

5. Pull the fuse to the radio on the weekends.

Quicker than hooking up a charger on the weekends.
tdireader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 22:44   #12
Smokerr
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Smokerr,

The entire top trim section in the top rear of the engince compartment comes off. It is a bit intimidating to read, but once you try it you will see it's very easy.

Tehre is a rubber trim, about 1" in diameter that holds the whole thing in place. Start 'peeling' the rubber trim strip back from one end or the other - it doesn't matter which. It peels right off and then the whole plastic 'shelf' pops right out.

Installation is just the reverse. I know it sounds scary, but as soon as you start you will see it's a piece of cake.

Ahh, I wondered, but did not seem right. Thought maybe plastic trim pins or some such.

Thanks, now to get the battery and get it installed.

I will go for aftermarket (Interstate of course!). It gets too cold up here to have anything but the best, and with the diesel even more so. First winter it did ok, but now, even with the block pad heater plugged in, it works hard to crank at -10. Some and some, I have done well with most, the Ford Pickup did the same thing after 3 winters, do this and good for 10 or 15 years.

I like the block pad heater, as it also heats up the tranny, and it runs a lot better with that warm.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 16:06   #13
guidoman

Fuel Economy: 42-45
Default Yes it would be a a 94R

I went to a local Pep Boys and they looked it up and gave me a battery obviously for a gas car, I looked on the shelf and saw a bosch group 94R that appeared identical to the one in it. Installed it and confirmined it is the identical match to the factory one. This battery should fit most 98-06 TDI's, BTW why do you already need a battery in your 05? They typically last over 5 years,
Old December 3rd, 2006, 16:27   #14
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

What does the label on the OE B5 battery say? (CCA, Ah)
Why I can't recommend a tdi > MY 06 st this time
Why I recommend fuel additive.
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 21:22   #15
Rexking414
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 jetta
Fuel Economy: Around 41 Mixed driving

why do you need a battery change so soon?
Rear fogs with Switch
FIS cluster
MultiFunction Wheel

We Passed 2000 Votes, I've seen hints from VW themself they were surfing forums for input, I sure hope we helped...Thinking so since the release of the New Golf....Which totally rocks. The Golf passed everything!
Tell VWOA What you Want!

Click here to See the results
Rexking414 is offline   Reply With Quote