www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2007

TDIFest 2007 Discussion about TDIFest 2007 that happened in Montréal, Canada.

Old January 21st, 2007, 14:30   #61
Harvieux

I may be borrowing from my parents in the Detroit area either their B4V or their 06 A5 pkg. 2 with navi I used to own B4 I gots my new one specified in my signature below and would love to meet up with the Michigan gang and our brother's of Ontario for a hoot of an East bound drive across the 401. It would be great if we were all to meet somewhere in Windsor at a specified time for us to limit the horrific GTA traffic. I will have already loaded the car up with those 12 in a case and larger than 341 ml returnable bottles of Molson Canadian Lager, my absolute favorite on ice out of a cooler. Let's plan on this possibility. Later!
Harvieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 17:12   #62
marc_ebing

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle

I am in Vancouver BC, I would love to get a convoy going across Canada, it's only 6500 KM

Cheers
1972 411 Sedan stock except brakes
2011 BMW R1200GS motorbike

Last edited by marc_ebing; February 2nd, 2007 at 12:42.
marc_ebing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 00:27   #63
onemonkey

Looking forward to this trip for sure.... can we come to some agreement for a hook up on the 401 near Toronto? Not sure about the 407 solution... not cheap if you reside in Mississauga.... ouch.

If nothing is officialy decided on a meating point around the GTA i might just wait on the hard shoulder waving like a retard at every tdi i see till someone gives me a flash (ow errr!).... is that wrong? lol...
onemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:29   #64
TDIGUY03
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemonkey
Looking forward to this trip for sure.... can we come to some agreement for a hook up on the 401 near Toronto? Not sure about the 407 solution... not cheap if you reside in Mississauga.... ouch.

If nothing is officialy decided on a meating point around the GTA i might just wait on the hard shoulder waving like a retard at every tdi i see till someone gives me a flash (ow errr!).... is that wrong? lol...
I am going to be living in Milton as of the end of this month and I am working on a convoy for a bunch of people coming up from Windsor so there will definatly be a meeting point in the Toronto area. Once it is decided I will make sure I post when and where.
TDIGUY03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 13:51   #65
bobpaul

Fuel Economy: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366
LOL ROTFLMAO, 9 Months away!!!Get a Grip!!
I have to request off vacation a year in advance. 9 mo isn't that rediculous at all.
bobpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 19:34   #66
beachkokopelli
Veteran Member

Default Just a humble idea

Just an idea, but 2 months or so prior to the ETD, everyone meet up at their local GTG to discuss route plans, phone #'s, fuel stops etc. One or two people are nominated to be the lead driver/ car for that group.

6-8 weeks prior to ETD, all the leads from ALL cities and States then discuss meeting points along the main routes.

4 weeks prior to ETD, final meet at your local GTG to discuss final arrangements, who's staying where etc.

On the day, the front leads should have the best police scanners and GPS's that money can buy. The vehicle at the back of that group has the phone number for the front car of that group and basic tools for basic breakdowns, spare fuel canister/ oil incase anyone from their own group breaks down. The rear car of any group should also have a good police scanner, the phone numbers for the leads of any other groups that will be along that route incase of accidents - hopefully non of our own - traffic jams, road works, breakdowns etc.

Also, with the amount of tolls on those roads, I guess we should start looking into EZpass, for those that don't have one already. I'm in Baltimore, count me in. From what I've read so far, looks like meetings on the outskirts of Richmond. DC. Baltimore. Philly. NY. Albany. and then meet on mass at Champlain.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
beachkokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 07:21   #67
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachkokopelli
Just an idea, but 2 months or so prior to the ETD, everyone meet up at their local GTG to discuss route plans, phone #'s, fuel stops etc. One or two people are nominated to be the lead driver/ car for that group.

6-8 weeks prior to ETD, all the leads from ALL cities and States then discuss meeting points along the main routes.

4 weeks prior to ETD, final meet at your local GTG to discuss final arrangements, who's staying where etc.

On the day, the front leads should have the best police scanners and GPS's that money can buy. The vehicle at the back of that group has the phone number for the front car of that group and basic tools for basic breakdowns, spare fuel canister/ oil incase anyone from their own group breaks down. The rear car of any group should also have a good police scanner, the phone numbers for the leads of any other groups that will be along that route incase of accidents - hopefully non of our own - traffic jams, road works, breakdowns etc.

Also, with the amount of tolls on those roads, I guess we should start looking into EZpass, for those that don't have one already. I'm in Baltimore, count me in. From what I've read so far, looks like meetings on the outskirts of Richmond. DC. Baltimore. Philly. NY. Albany. and then meet on mass at Champlain.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
Good ideas, I like! I like!

I will bring it up at the GTG in Miami on March 10 if there are any TDI'rs there. I don't know if there are many groups down here. There are some of us local who have set up a little group, but I don't think any of them will be attending.

I'll add that along with at least one scanner, you should have someone monitoring the CB. Sometimes the truckers will rat out a trap while cops are being quite about it. Also they'll chatter about weather and road debris along with everything else.

Coming from FL I can help out as much as possible; picking up stuff, stragglers, road side help, etc. I figure I'll be coming up behind everyone so I can be the "back door" in cb lingo.

BIG THING - where can I get an EZ Pass??? Can you get one if you don't live in the area that uses one? I was looking into a FastPass when I lived in CA and they said it would work on other systems. When I move to FL I asked the same thing of SunPass and they said it only worked on their system. And they were changing from an EZPass system. After going to the 'fest in PA I knew I wanted one. Just makes life that much easier. And think of the sight seeing 20 'dubs, no make that TDI's all caravaning THROUGH the tool both!!

Last thing, should we get a list, of people and routes, together here on the forum (or this thread)?? Or do you think that's too dangerous w/scams running around on the 'net? It'd be cool to drive up knowing if I just went this way or that I could catch up with a few fellow travlers. And #'s would be cool so we can get together on the way. Maybe we should do window or door signs so we can quickly recognise fellow TDI'rs in route.

I'm getting all excited now and there's still seven months to go!!

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 18:03   #68
beachkokopelli
Veteran Member

Default cops and convoys

Jason, alright mate, no numbers or specific cars or symbols etc on here. I wouldn't even advise route on here. If I were a cop and I knew of a pending rally, be it Sturgis to the Gumball, I'd be doing my homework on pages like this. Dedicated pages on a dedicated website. Buy the TDICLUB license plate. Hook up with the local GTG and set it up from there. See in you seven months
Old February 17th, 2007, 18:10   #69
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Except I have a feeling we wouldn't be doing this for top speed.

At least any route I'd be in wouldn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 19:52   #70
beachkokopelli
Veteran Member

Default American roads

I used to live in Germany where you got fined for going UNDER 50mph on the autobahns - not me of course Then moved back to the UK where the limits 70mph, so everyone goes 80-85 of course. I move here and I feel I could get out my car and walk quicker!!! No wonder there's so many damn accident. You add cruise control and an automatic gear shift to a car, couple that with the slowest speed limits on the widest roads on the planet, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Fest should be good, never been to a car festival before, I told my wife about it last night. Why am I taking time off work to drive all the way to Canada?? Bless. See you guys on the road in 7 months.
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:49   #71
troopertripp
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45-48 combined
Default Cops are not your problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachkokopelli
Jason, alright mate, no numbers or specific cars or symbols etc on here. I wouldn't even advise route on here. If I were a cop and I knew of a pending rally, be it Sturgis to the Gumball, I'd be doing my homework on pages like this. Dedicated pages on a dedicated website. Buy the TDICLUB license plate. Hook up with the local GTG and set it up from there. See in you seven months
I am a cop, trust me we don't care that any group from Hell's Angels to AARP is having a Rally, Poker Run or Convoy. If you are doing 70 in a 35, we don't want you crusing through town. We will even stop traffic so Rally groups stay together. If you are worried about cops, you must have bigger problems than a TDI Convoy on its way to a GTG.

Plan here and have fun here, and there.

Tripp
1998 Cabrio 158,000 (Daughters)
troopertripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 23:08   #72
RoninTDI

Default Toronto to Montreal

This has prob already posted but im so excited i dont care.
Toronto to Montreal I know of several US/CA entry points along the way.
Im willing to time it so that we can all join once you guys cross into Canada...
This would be a HUGE convoy!
Im also ready to hook up with whoever from Toronto to convoy from here.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en...=UTF8&z=7&om=1

Last edited by RoninTDI; March 19th, 2007 at 23:11.
RoninTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:32   #73
beachkokopelli
Veteran Member

Troopertripp, I've never done a TDI rally before, or any rally over here before. I'm used to UK motorbike rallies where both groups, police and eventers, organise which each other what the routes are going to be.

And we won't be doing 70 in a 35 either. Thats just dumb. I just struggle so much doing 55 over here - I'm British.

Anyway, thanks for the input, cheers.
03 VW Beetle TDI. Runs on B100 ( in the summer ). CAT 2 Filter. Boostvalve. DG Race pipe. Powerplus 357 nozzles. AFE CAI System. Stage I KermaTDI tuned. Kerma "ugly" Downpipe. 2.5" straight thru' exhaust. and close to adding 17/22 turbo and triple gauge pod
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:03   #74
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

The Toronto method seems interesting...

So, everyone that wishes to drive through Ohio:

Would you rather:

1. Go to Montreal past New York City (fastest according to maps)
2. Go to Montreal via Toronto, entering via Buffalo (faster according to maps)
3. Go to Montreal via Toronto, entering via Detroit (may be faster if functional speed limits, and not posted speed limits, are observed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.

Last edited by bhtooefr; March 20th, 2007 at 12:06.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 17:25   #75
beachkokopelli
Veteran Member

From Baltimore, it looks pretty complicated, 95 - 87

Mapquest reckons 9 hours +
03 VW Beetle TDI. Runs on B100 ( in the summer ). CAT 2 Filter. Boostvalve. DG Race pipe. Powerplus 357 nozzles. AFE CAI System. Stage I KermaTDI tuned. Kerma "ugly" Downpipe. 2.5" straight thru' exhaust. and close to adding 17/22 turbo and triple gauge pod