www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2007

TDIFest 2007 Discussion about TDIFest 2007 that happened in Montréal, Canada.

Old November 26th, 2006, 08:21   #46
Teejay

If anyone does decide to use a CB for speedtrap checks, be sure to make note of the mile marker anytime you see a cop car, and what side it was on (eastbound or westbound) It'll come in handy when truckers are reluctant to give up any info.

"This here's Diesel Demon, lookin for bears, saw one over at the 195 with a 4 wheeler on the westbound side, chicken coup's closed both directions, Got one sittin in the middle lookin your direction at the 370, and a Diesel bear caught him a chicken truck over at the 231 Eastbound. Where dem bears at?" LOL
Old November 29th, 2006, 18:21   #47
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km

Just a tip for anyone crossing at Buffalo/Fort Erie or Detroit/WIndsor or Port Huron/Sarnia. As you approach Torontos, depending on what time of day it is, take the 407 Toll route. They take a picture of your liscence plate & mail you the bill. As far as I know, there is no cooperation between thsese guys and any out of province or state agencies. So you get to goi around the city for free. I will look into it closer to the date though to be sure.

Having said that, the 401 through Toronto is not that bad at times, so plan your trip accordingly. If you pass through between 9am and 10am Friday, that will put you in Montreal between 2-3pm. So you avoid rush hour in both cities.

BTW, I'm down for a convoy meet along the 401. I'll visit this thread around July to see what develops . I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to be part of one of many possible convoys as there really are only a few ways to get to Montreal from the west and I'm sure there will be lots of cars travelling at different times.

Old Ride (2000 Black Sedan): Gone

New Ride: (2003 Silver Wagon): Malone Tuned, T4 injectors, 11mm pump, 2.5" Magnaflow cat back, PD150 intake, OMI, Wingnut SS, ERF 6 speed, Bilstein TC Sport susp. w/GTI springs, Neuspeed RSB, Santa Monica's, Autometer Cobalt Boost & EGT, MFA Sport cluster, GLI Leather seats, SS vacuum lines, AVIC Z3 Nav and I still get 4.5L/100km (I got 3.9L/100k on a tank once)
Some handy 'How to's'
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 00:28   #48
kharmin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut
Having said that, the 401 through Toronto is not that bad at times, so plan your trip accordingly. If you pass through between 9am and 10am Friday, that will put you in Montreal between 2-3pm. So you avoid rush hour in both cities.
If I can make it, I'll probably be overnighting with (non-TDI ) friends in the Toronto area. Thanks for the time frame, Wingnut!

'06 Jetta - Spice Red & beige
DSG, pkg0, anti-glare aspherical mirrors, Panzer plate
kharmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:06   #49
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/47/39
Default Anyone from the West Coast?

It looks like I wil have to drive to the mid-west solo and then hook-up with a caravan!

303,00 miles and counting!
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 14:47   #50
golfnman

Fuel Economy: N/A
Default Might want to join the convoy.

NC thru VA Route # 77 to Akron, OH and join up there?
golfnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 14:19   #51
alphaseinor

Was the dark of the moon, on the sixth of June
In a Golf, pullin' logs
Passat Pete with a reefer on
And a Jetta haulin' hogs

There can't be a rubber duck, because we don't have the 3L Lupo... and he couldn't put the hammer down...
alphaseinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 17:37   #52
Teejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaseinor
Was the dark of the moon, on the sixth of June
In a Golf, pullin' logs
Passat Pete with a reefer on
And a Jetta haulin' hogs

There can't be a rubber duck, because we don't have the 3L Lupo... and he couldn't put the hammer down...
LMAO nice.
Old December 24th, 2006, 10:42   #53
lupin..the..3rd
Veteran Member

Hmmm I might join the convoy for this one. I'm in DC and would head straight North to meet the convoy in upstate NY.

lupin..the..3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:47   #54
span1_85
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45-50

yeah im in salem NJ (which is like right next to the Delaware Memorial Bridge) and would take the NJ turnpike up to I-87 and so forth... I might be going i might not... not sure yet.. we'll see whos going from this neck of the woods and go form there...
Check Out my "almost what you would consider a build thread"
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=198760
span1_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 23:05   #55
g-wagen
Veteran Member

Default Meet in Ontario

If we do pull this off a great place for all those sarnia,windsor,detroit, border crossers is to meet in napanee just outside of kingston at the flying-j may not be great fuel, but is right off the 401 and has huge facilities to accomidate such a large group, also just on the other side of kingston there is a husky pretty good usually the best fuel prices better than fly-j by a few cents sometimes. We could then meet up with the NY crossers 20 min drving time from kingston.

Last edited by g-wagen; January 20th, 2007 at 19:15.
g-wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 23:33   #56
imperium
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55mpg hiway, mid to high 40s in city

I am heavily considering coming to Fest. I would love to join up with other TDIers for short or long haul convoy. Anyone coming up from FL/GA/SC/NC?
'84 Rabbit GTI
'70 Type II
imperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:29   #57
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 69.63/47/36

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperium
I am heavily considering coming to Fest. I would love to join up with other TDIers for short or long haul convoy. Anyone coming up from FL/GA/SC/NC?
I think a key route to get there from the southeastern states would probably be I-81, since it allows avoidance of all the major cities between Washington and Boston on I-95.

From I-95 in Florida and Georgia, I would take I-26 west to Columbia, SC, then take I-77 north to I-81, then east on I-88 to the Albany area, then north on I-87 and A-15 to Montreal (or continue north on I-81 to the 401). Next reasonable interstate links between I-95 and I-81 would be I-64 west from Richmond to Staunton; I-83 from Baltimore to Harrisburg; and I-476 from Chester to Scranton ($).
Old January 13th, 2007, 16:55   #58
dieselrox
Veteran Member

According to Google maps, the best route to Montreal from Northern Virginia is across the Rt. 15 bridge at Leesburg and then up to Harrisburg to join Interstate 81. It's a solid 10-11 hour drive. If anyone is interested in a Northern Virginia convoy, I'd like to suggest meeting at the parking lot at the NOVA campus in Sterling and go from there. Early in the morning, obviously. If anyone in the area is interested let's chat about it.

Last edited by dieselrox; January 14th, 2007 at 20:53.
dieselrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 08:29   #59
Jetter_Sprinta
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor

Fuel Economy: Better than a Prius ;-)

For those heading thru the Syracuse area, I would recommend the 7th North Street exit from I81 as a great meeting place. There are numerous options for eating, sleeping and fueling. And it is easy on and easy off.

However, the NYS Fair overlaps Labor Day weekend. That area gets pretty busy... at least it used to.
Old January 20th, 2007, 18:52   #60
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMSL
Come on Tomo, you know you want to ride along.
Specially with you in that car of yours. Damn that thing was quick. From you map I think some of us from down south could join up with the convoy somewhere in Kentucky or Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperium
I'll be heading up from Gainesville, FL. After this last year going through DC and PA I think avoiding I95 would be a good idea. I need to look it over some but I think cutting over from here to Loiusville, KY would work. Still working on ideas to minimize traffic and tolls.

Last edited by SilverGhost; January 20th, 2007 at 19:26.
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote