www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2007

TDIFest 2007 Discussion about TDIFest 2007 that happened in Montréal, Canada.

Old November 17th, 2006, 22:44   #31
WPB TDI FRED

Two Suggestions for "convoying" :

1. ANYBODY thinking of doing the trip should get a 2007 map software, and install it in their laptops. I prefer the Delorme product. There are others. There is a regular version and a "plus" version. The regular version (about $40) will do just fine. MOREOVER, if you can afford the Earhmate GPS for it, get it. I think you can get the regular version software + the GPS in one packet for about $100.00. CHEAP and WELL WORTH the investment when doing road trips. Believe me. You can plot your entire trip; i.e., stops, anticipated fuel stops, lodging, rest stops, you name it. There will be NO PROBLEM in "plotting" meet up points along the way, and once there, you will drive in Montreal as if it was your own "hood".

2) Car-To-Car communication: While a "CB" is okay, I believe getting a handheld two-way radio, like a Motorola "talkabout" handheld two-way radio (there are others), is much better for several reasons:
a) There will not be any installation hassles in trying to install the radio to the car, calibrating the antena, etc...etc..
b) You will avoid the typical CB crap on the airwaves.
c) The range of the handheld are decent to maintain communication between cars in any "convoy". The typical range of the handheld radios is generally pretty good, and the batteries will last a reasonable time.
d) MORE IMPORTANTLY, I would think you will be able to use the radios in and around the TDIFest area, and will have a communication system available to coordinate the event and logistics, and to keep in touch with others (without relying on cell phones, and avoiding those charges!!).

My two cents.
WPB TDI FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 08:06   #32
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Another thing, about CBs, though.

If some people want to do a... um... speed run, then truckers often call out cop locations on the CB.

Plus, if someone gets in trouble, and everyone's out of cell phone coverage, cops don't monitor FRS or GMRS. They do monitor CB on channel 9, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 12:15   #33
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 69.63/47/36

Cell phone coverage I would think would be OK, since I would be going on 402 and 401. The CBs are also a good idea; if anything, they will allow people to save on cellphone roaming charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr
Another thing, about CBs, though.

If some people want to do a... um... speed run, then truckers often call out cop locations on the CB.

Plus, if someone gets in trouble, and everyone's out of cell phone coverage, cops don't monitor FRS or GMRS. They do monitor CB on channel 9, IIRC.
Old November 19th, 2006, 21:25   #34
TDIinRI
Veteran Member

Nearer to the date of the Fest, the Fest Planning Committee will post some pointers for people travelling to Montreal from the US.

For example:

Many credit card companies AND Banks now charge a fee for foreign transactions. For example, Bank of America chrages me 3% when using my credit card or ATM card as a credit card.

Also, Bank of America customers had withdraw money at any Scotia Bank without paying any ATM fees. If a BofA customer uses a different bank, the international ATM usage fee is $5!!!
Old November 20th, 2006, 11:46   #35
brucetmoose
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42-winter, 46-summer
Default In regards to roaming charges and Verizon and crossing points

My local verizon rep told me that if I tell them far enough in advance I can add Canada to the plan temporarily for a month and then drop it for a small fee. Considering the fact that when I was on Ottawa and I incurred $67 in roaming fees in one week, it's worth it.

I will chat again with them and find out the details for those who have Verizon and in particular in the Rochester, NY area.

VikingRob and others out west - I highly suggest crossing in either Detroit or Port Huron (whichever is closer), it cuts a LARGE amount of time off the trip. From my house alone ( Rochester, NY ) to Detroit is about 9 hours. Plus the fact that you'd have to pay the NYS troll plus the Ohio Trolls. When we go to the state up north of visit my aunt (pardon the Ohio State humor there), it cuts about 3 hours off the trip as I have personally driven from Rochester, NY to Lansing in about 6 to 7 hours which would take 10 the other way. Buffalo, NY is a very busy toll station, plus the crossing there is VERY VERY busy due to Niagara Falls traffic.

On caveat - if you're going to also see Niagara Falls, then by all means go through Buffalo and then up I290.
Demand 50/50 now! (50 MPG in all 50 states)
You can get any TDI you want at Alice'sDealership

Last edited by brucetmoose; November 20th, 2006 at 11:52.
brucetmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 11:51   #36
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

I just checked Sprint's website.

$0.65 per minute for voice roaming in Canada, and $0.002 per KB for data roaming in Canada.

Montreal DOES have Sprint data coverage, too.

If anyone else on Sprint is planning on using their phone, you might call them and see if they've got a monthly option. You'll have to call them anyway to activate international roaming.

Edit: This deserves a thread of it's own. I think I'll start a thread with this info for various carriers.

Edit 2: It actually oughta be in that traveling in Canada thread, so I'll make a post THERE. I'll look up cell phone carriers, post here(?) or PM me if you want me to look up another carrier that I don't list. I'll start out with Sprint, Nextel, Verizon, Cingular, Alltel, and T-Mobile, so if you don't see one of those, just wait, I'm still looking it up on the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.

Last edited by bhtooefr; November 20th, 2006 at 11:57.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 11:56   #37
brucetmoose
Veteran Member

Default Thank You Very Much - Next Trip With Kids !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny_pat
bhtooefr - you guys could always stop off at Wyoming, NY (just south of Leroy, NY I-90) and visit Brock Yates at the Cannonball Run Pub. Yes, the real Brock Yates. He owns the pub. It is full of pictures and memorabilia from the movie "Cannonball Run". Who knows, you could all end up on the cover of Car and Driver!
Wny_pat - I owe you huge - guess where the kids and I are going to lunch on Wednesday when school is not in session !!! That place is LITERALLY in our backyard and I didn't even know about it ??? My son will LOVE the place.
Old November 20th, 2006, 12:10   #38
TDIinRI
Veteran Member

For those planning on comming from west of Ohio. I recommend crossing in Michigan at Port Huron. Detroit is OK, but both the bridge and tunnel are very busy. I crossed at Port Huron-Sarnia after TDI Fest 2005 and found it very easy and free of traffic. Going through Ohio and New York is an option, BUT both the OH Tpke and NYS Thruway are pricey in tolls, esp the Thruway. Also, the Thruway is heavily travelled. Even though the speed limit through Ontario and Quebec is 100km/h, I find traffic moves much faster than that. One point, try and avoid rush hour through the GTO!!
Old November 21st, 2006, 07:45   #39
TDI Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIinRI
For those planning on comming from west of Ohio. I recommend crossing in Michigan at Port Huron. Detroit is OK, but both the bridge and tunnel are very busy. I crossed at Port Huron-Sarnia after TDI Fest 2005 and found it very easy and free of traffic.
Not always the case - it can take 2+ hours to cross from Sarnia to Port Huron on a Sunday evening! (Ask me how I know!) Depends level of traffic at time you cross for the quickness factor or lack of. But yes, generally speaking Port Huron is better than the Detroit crossings for transit time.
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 16:17   #40
arrowsmithdzlperformance
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5 L/100 km's

Sweet, I should be able to drive out. Vancouver to Montreal in 2days(lol) Its 4900+- Kms each way...

I may need a co-pilot, anyone else from Vancouver want to come?

Cheers
Erik
Old November 22nd, 2006, 21:54   #41
brucetmoose
Veteran Member

Default Bad news on the Cannonball Run pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucetmoose
Wny_pat - I owe you huge - guess where the kids and I are going to lunch on Wednesday when school is not in session !!! That place is LITERALLY in our backyard and I didn't even know about it ??? My son will LOVE the place.
I went to Wyoming, NY today as promised - forgot that the place is next to the cafe, went to the public library and asked if it was next to the cafe - the woman told me the place was closed and for sale and has been for some time. To double check, I did go to the door, was locked, and the place did not look open.

So unless one of us hears from Brock Yates otherwise, I'd say too bad - would have been nice to meet there. Still could happen if it re-opens

I say that even if he lives there we meet him there just to let him know about the club.
Old November 24th, 2006, 14:07   #42
MidwesternGRL

Fuel Economy: Golf - 45-50 _ Sonata - 20-25...sad, yes

Is there anyone from Nebraska or the surrounding states going? I'd love to convoy with you all. And my be we could meet up with some other people from other parts of the country
MidwesternGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 19:00   #43
brucetmoose
Veteran Member

Thumbs up I just invited Brock Yates to meet with us - somewhere

After finding the Gas Light Cafe/Cannonball Run Pub closed, I decided to find Brock Yates email address and invite him to meet us.

I did find his address and I did invite him. I suggested Friday Lunch, memo to the organizer's of the frest - if Thursday lunch is better, let me know.

I have no idea if he's still in Wyoming, NY or if he'll even accept, but hey, at least I asked.

So I put it to the group - If he's interested, I'll put up a opinion poll about which day.
Old November 26th, 2006, 05:22   #44
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 69.63/47/36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternGRL
Is there anyone from Nebraska or the surrounding states going? I'd love to convoy with you all. And my be we could meet up with some other people from other parts of the country
Our paths would probably meet in the Chicago area.

You may also find a convoy coming from Colorado and Utah, both coming into Omaha on I-80.

Kansas City, St. Louis, and Indianapolis would likely join us where I-94 and I-69 meet south of Lansing.
Old November 26th, 2006, 08:15   #45
Teejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouverdzlgeek
Sweet, I should be able to drive out. Vancouver to Montreal in 2days(lol) Its 4900+- Kms each way...

I may need a co-pilot, anyone else from Vancouver want to come?

Cheers
Erik
2 Days?!? I've driven from Windsor, Ontario to Vancouver, it takes 2 days just to get across Ontario (3 from Windsor unless you cheat and cut through Michigan) Roughly 13 hours (depending on traffic) from Vancouver to Calgary, another 16 (at a modest 130km/hr) across the prairies to Winnipeg, From Winnipeg you could make Sault St. Marie in about 16 hours and I believe its another 6 or 7 to Montreal from there. Bring some Red Bull and stop at Timmie Ho's, you'll need Caffeine.