www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2007

TDIFest 2007 Discussion about TDIFest 2007 that happened in Montréal, Canada.

Old December 14th, 2006, 14:05   #46
Radman
Veteran Member

Should any US vendors have issues bringing items in you are welcome to ship them to me and I will hold them for you. You will need to have all customs forms etc available and declare what you are bringing in.
Old December 14th, 2006, 14:06   #47
Bosley
Veteran Member

Default Canada Border Services Agency - website

Quote:
Originally Posted by red golf tdi
What do U.S. vendors need to prepare for as far as bringing in product, duties, etc???
www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/visitors-e.html

Terry,

Have a look at the above site, you should find the answers to most of your questions. Have a look under 'Events in Canada'.

Last edited by Bosley; December 14th, 2006 at 14:11.
Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 14:48   #48
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

This is related to my question of Canadian vendors not resident in Quebec complying with the provincial sales tax and possible restrictions on retail Quebec sales on Sunday and/or holiday (Labor day)...

I'll PM the organizers about this, as there are a few vendors I'd like to get interested in this...

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 15:01   #49
Bullitt_TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman
Should any US vendors have issues bringing items in you are welcome to ship them to me and I will hold them for you. You will need to have all customs forms etc available and declare what you are bringing in.
Thanks Radman. It was great to have someone local at the Valley Forge Fest for vendors to ship too.
Bullitt_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 01:41   #50
TDIinRI
Veteran Member

We have been working on customs requirements for U.S. Vendors. We ask that you site tight right now on this. We have contacted a customs brokering agency for assistance. We would like to arrange it so that all US vendors have a letter allowing them to bring their goods into Canada without having to do a customs inspection at the border. Their goods will then by cleared by a customs agent at the hotel. There is a nominal cost for this, but it seems to be the easiest route as the brokerage firm handles all paperwork. There will be more info on the specifics in the near future. If there are any specific concerns/needs from any vendor, please contact me and we will address them as we work on this issue.

Last edited by TDIinRI; December 15th, 2006 at 01:44.
TDIinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:48   #51
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 69.63/47/36

For buyers taking items back to the United States, does Quebec refund sales tax? I know Canada will refund GST under certain circumstances.
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:46   #52
TDIinRI
Veteran Member

Quebec does not refund the 7.5% PST, or Provincial Sales Tax. As of now, in order to qualify for a GST refund, one must spend a minimum of CAD$200. HOWEVER, each receipt you sumbit must be a minimum of CAD$50 BEFORE TAXES!! Also, there is no refund available on fuels or meals, but hotel rooms do count. Other than that, any goods that you are claiming GST refund for have to be with you when leaving Canada. If you do not meet the CAD$200 minimum, you can save your receipts and combine them with those from another trip. They are valid for one year. Remember to have the receipts for any goods being exported out of Canada stamped by Customs Canada. This is especially true if you are mailing in your GST refund and not applying for it on the spot at a Duty-Free shop at the border.

Unfortunately, it seems that the GST rebate programme is scheduled to be no more effective 1st April, 2007. Thus, no GST refund will be available for goods, services, and accomodations purchased during the Fest. =( (Sometimes you loathe what you find when you do a google search to get more info) There is rumor that this programme might be extended. We will update if any changes come about.
Old December 24th, 2006, 08:10   #53
POET250

Lightbulb

Another idea for the cell phones is to have your carrier unlock your phone if it uses sim cards and buy a prepay sim card up there. I am not sure on the rates of prepaid in Canada but the idea holds when traveling abroad as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr
Cell Phone Information

I decided to look this stuff up, based on some stuff in the Convoy thread. PM me if you want info for another carrier to be added, if I can find it on the website, or you have it from a phone call.

Alltel

Voice cost per minute: $0.20
Discounted rate: $3.99 per month (Reduced Toll Rate), $0.10 per minute

Cingular

Voice cost per minute: $0.79
Discounted rate: $5.99 per month (World Traveler), $0.59 per minute

Nextel

Voice cost per minute: $0.20
Data cost per minute: "free trial" (?)
Notes: Must call Nextel to activate international dialing privileges, only "internet ready" phones will work

Sprint

Voice cost per minute: $0.65
Data cost per KB: $0.002
Notes: Must call Sprint to activate International Roaming

T-Mobile

Voice cost per minute: $0.49
Data cost per KB: $0.01

Verizon

Voice cost per minute: $0.69
Notes: Has a Canada roaming package (don't know info on it)

Please bear with me as I look more up...
POET250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 11:59   #54
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

That works for T-Mobile and Cingular, but not Alltel, Nextel (well, maybe it does for Nextel, not sure), Sprint, or Verizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 08:17   #55
POET250

well i had heard that some verizon phones do use sim cards or that you have to pay extra for them. I don't know doesn't apply to me
POET250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 08:38   #56
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Well, that's only for specific international roaming models, that won't be necessary in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 16:51   #57
CoriolisSTORM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMY
...they hide on on ramps while one cops is on over pass or median and Lazers ya!
This is the bane of many a Mercedes guy here. Is this what is referred to as "wolfpacking?" A guy from the DOT (in their little white pickups) sets out in the median "surveying" and they have at least 10 state troopers lined up on the next on ramp waiting to get ya from the concealed radar gun that he carries. Evidentally he radioes it to them what car is speeding and such. Its not a good thing at all. There's no telling how many MB people have been pulled over due to that. 100 MPH seems to be their minimum anyway. That being said, since I dont own a TDI yet, you guys have fun there and yeah, hockey jerseys dont belong there if you're not a cannuck. How 'bout wearing their rivals' soccer jersey?
CoriolisSTORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 16:45   #58
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay
One thing I noticed about driving in Montreal.. good luck finding streets. Every intersection, the street sign was in a different spot, some were tucked away behind trees, or buildings. Also, Montreal drivers are NUTS.

Do remember to signal when changing lanes, but a cautionary note: the general rule in Montreal; first signal flash is courtesy, second signal flash better get moving. If you are changing lanes and you wait till the third flash to move, they do NOT let you in.

On a side note.. I cant wait!
In Montreal I find it is often best to use the element of surprise. If there's a hole in the other lane, and you need it (for example, upcoming exit, which given the quirks of Montreal can be from the LEFT lane of an expressway), sometimes it's best to just hop in it without signalling. For some, a turn signal is an invitation to a contest to see who can fill the hole first. On the other hand if the person at the back of the hole is a semi-trailer, I would recommend signalling.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 17:16   #59
thenewguy
Veteran Member

I was listening to NPR today on the way home from work, they have delayed requiring US passports for land / sea crossings to / from the US from our neighbors until probably January 2008. The business lobbyists from the border states (especially the New Englanders) were successful in delaying the implementation, as they are afraid our northern friends wouldn't cross the border to shop if they need to have passports. Just FYI. Also, for the Montreal natives....it wouldn't be a wise idea to bring the Sabres jersey (they WILL win the Cup this year), and where do we go for the best poutine? And bring on the beer, I hope you aren't planning on simply plying us with Molson, Labatts, and Moosehead!!! I've been to Montreal only once before, and I cannot wait to get back. Beautiful city.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 19:34   #60
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

You really need to look at some of our micro-breweries, Molsons and Labatt's is so passé. I myself have graduated from Canadian to Belgian abbey-brewed beers. Now there's beer with horsepower. If you want to know how a Belgian monk survived the privations of Lent...just try a good Belgian beer. You can get some in Quebec but you may have to go to a liquor store. One that's available in grocery stores is Leffe Blonde. My favourite everyday beer, but beware, it has more torque than a Rocketchipped PD!
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote