www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2007

TDIFest 2007 Discussion about TDIFest 2007 that happened in Montréal, Canada.

Old November 29th, 2006, 15:28   #31
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Should note that the "criminal inadmissability" situation is equally true for Canadian citizens crossing into the USA. A friend of mine got refused entry to the USA a couple of months ago because (after some 20 years of routinely crossing the border without any problems) US Immigration figured out that he had a vandalism conviction on his young-offender record ... which should have automatically been wiped clean when he turned 18, but some dufus bureaucrat didn't do it. It's fixed now, but it caused some aggravation at the time.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 13:27   #32
alphaseinor

Fuel Economy: 35 in city floored, 48 on highway @75mph

Remember the speed limits are in KPH... not MPH... 100 doesn't mean 100
alphaseinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 14:18   #33
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

... but people do 100 anyway :-)
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:37   #34
ARMY

I live in Windsor, ontario - right acrossed the river from Detroit. I found that crossing far less a hassle then the Buffalo one. The easiest would be the NY/Cornwal one near the native reserve. They are very relaxed. I lived about 20 mins from Montreal for a year, in the army's Language school. after 11 months and fluent French, then french still would pretend they didnt understand. Word of advice, if they pretend to not understand your french - speak english. Most will pretend they dont speak english, and many will pretend they dont understand your french.

In Ontario 100kph will get you passed by grandma - but it is the limit. I can tell you this, 114kms is first time you see points so no cops worrying about 113 or less. Most OPP set the radar gun for 130. 120-125 is fairly safe to drive at - You can go faster in some spots, but you need to know where its okay. A heads up.... Chatham/Kent is usually a heavy radared area as well as Londons outer sections, they hide on on ramps while one cops is on over pass or median and Lazers ya! Windsor to Chatham is fine Ridgetown to London fine and far side of london to Quebec is fine. I used to live up north in the Barrie area and worked in Windsor, so for 4 years I traveelled atleast 2-3 times a week both directions. Yeah 2002 tdi with 300k on it hehe. if you wanna be safe 120 is cool for nearly all areas. Technically... Licence plate covers are not allowed unless clear with no tint. I have been pulled over from light blue tint. SO keep that in mind. Thats about it.
GL and see yas there

Last edited by ARMY; December 5th, 2006 at 01:43.
ARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 18:38   #35
brucetmoose
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42-winter, 46-summer
Default Starting the Alice's Dealership Anti-CARB TDI Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog
The correct question should be, "Kid, did you ever go to court?"
I then proceeded to tell Officer Obie about the garbage laws that the CARB's left and he said:

"Kid, haven't you heard it's ok to bring in TDI's as long as it's over 7.5k miles old ?"

So right then and there I decided to start the Alice's Restaurant Anti-CARB TDI movement. All you have to do is wait for it to come around on the Guitar that VW is selling on all 2006's, here it comes now.

"You can get any TDI you want at Alice's Restaurant".

Note - Thanks go to whitedog for correctly pointing out to me it's Officer Obie, not Odie. Good catch
Demand 50/50 now! (50 MPG in all 50 states)
You can get any TDI you want at Alice'sDealership

Last edited by brucetmoose; December 6th, 2006 at 16:52. Reason: Name correction
brucetmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 16:51   #36
brucetmoose
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42-winter, 46-summer
Default Moved to VW General group

After some thought - I agree - Sorry to have flooded this thread - I have moved this.
Demand 50/50 now! (50 MPG in all 50 states)
You can get any TDI you want at Alice'sDealership

Last edited by brucetmoose; December 8th, 2006 at 18:32. Reason: Moved because I agree - should have been posted elsewhere
brucetmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 17:09   #37
Bosley
Veteran Member

Holy Crap!!!
Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 17:46   #38
TDI Owner/Operator

What a waste of space just above by bmoose. How is this relevant to crossing the border for the '07 Fest which is this thread's topic?
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 17:55   #39
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWht
What a waste of space just above by bmoose. How is this relevant to crossing the border for the '07 Fest which is this thread's topic?
Relevancy is well... relevant.

It was just a very well done, little diversion. We'll get back to the regular programming now.

And uh.... That song was written when many folks were crossing the border to Canada.

Yeah... that's the tie-in.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:32   #40
Fyrman
Veteran Member

OK. You Americans have missed probably the most important warning for travelling in Canada. We have real beer. You are NOT accustomed to it. Don't try and be a hero, just take it slow.There's nothing worse than an American, all messy on his third beer, ODing (overdancing) with some Canadian Lumberjack's girlfriend on the dance floor. The results are never pleasant. And leave your hockey jersey's home, you'll just end up with it stretched over your head!

Now, don't get me wrong, we are here to help you through this. I, personally will be available to sample a few of the local barley sandwiches with my favorite neighbors from the south. I can teach you the proper thirst quenching techniques on how to use our beer to enable you to meet some of the finest legion queens Montreal has to offer. Do you own a dart jacket or a bingo hall sweater? Bring it, it'll help. We will keep you directed towards the right type of women, have no fear. Experience the diversity of the local language. Try things like "Vous sembleriez le bon nettoyage ma maison." and "Vous ne gaspillez pas l'argent sur la pâte dentifrice, vous ?"

Practise those and you'll have no problem with our women at all. They'll be all over you.

Feel free to buy me a beer!

Some people are like Slinkies...... They're really good for nothing but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Fyrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:52   #41
Radman
Veteran Member

Heck Ill buy you 2 beers just to see you say those above phrases to any women You will just end up wearing the beers anyways
2004 Passat Wagon TDI (sold)
2006 Liberty CRD (sold)
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 15:12   #42
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

Wow, Google Translator made a translation that almost made perfect sense!

And, note to self: DON'T say those phrases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:04   #43
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

Word of warning to all Verizon customers: http://science.slashdot.org/article..../12/09/0625245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 08:48   #44
Bullitt_TDI

You think I would have problems bringing a Nitro R/C car along with me? from us to can?
Bullitt_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:41   #45
red golf tdi

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42
Default Vendors

What do U.S. vendors need to prepare for as far as bringing in product, duties, etc???
red golf tdi is offline   Reply With Quote