www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2007

TDIFest 2007 Discussion about TDIFest 2007 that happened in Montréal, Canada.

Old November 21st, 2006, 11:09   #16
hagar
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 & 38

And remove your "You will pry my gun from my cold, dead hands" or "NRA Life Member" bumperstickers. You will draw undue attention to yourself, and if caught with a firearm you will be in hot water.
2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Limited(10-19mpg)
1997 Kawasaki ZX11(42-52mpg)
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 20:09   #17
brucetmoose
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42-winter, 46-summer
Default They are valid in Canada, but the limits are higher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIinRI
US auto insurance policies are valid in Canada. Having crossed into Canada no less than 25 times in the past 3 years, nobody has asked me about whether or not there was a loan on my car!
I haven't encountered the loan issue, but Canada does have higher required limits for cars than most states. Check with your insurance agent and make sure your lmits are adequate. Many companies will extend the limits for a weekend trip ( Amica did this all the time for us as long as we called them about a month in advance and gave them an itinerary ).

If you meet the limits, you're all set. You don't want to find out you don't meet the limits if there is an accident.
Demand 50/50 now! (50 MPG in all 50 states)
You can get any TDI you want at Alice'sDealership
brucetmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 06:47   #18
fitzski
Veteran Member

Jan 23rd 2007 (was Jan 8th) is the new date when air passengers will require a passport to get into/return to the U.S.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2006/1...passports.html
2004 Jetta TDI-PD [spice red, black leather, 5sp] (RIP)
fitzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 13:48   #19
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Further to a couple of things mentioned above: US citizens, don't attempt to bring any type of firearm (or knife other than the kind used with food) with you. Many such weapons are prohibited, others are restricted, all require permits in Canada that typically US citizens won't have. If you have the required permits in Canada then you know more than I do about this. You definitely won't see gun-racks in pick-up trucks here - that's cops-will-bust-your-arse illegal in every way, and you'll end up in the slammer.

Someone mentioned photo radar. It's not used in Quebec and it is no longer used in Ontario, we had it a few years ago but they axed the program (thankfully). We DO have Gatso cameras for red-light runners, though, so don't run red lights! All such locations are signed, and if you know what a Gatso looks like, you can see which way it's pointing ...

On the island of Montreal, it is illegal to make a right turn on a red traffic light. Elsewhere in Quebec and Ontario, it is permissible (obviously you have to stop and yield to pedestrians or other traffic).

Radar detectors or laser detectors are illegal to use. If you have one, best thing is don't bring it, otherwise put it in the trunk. If it's visible/audible to the driver, or if the cops get you on a signal from their detector-detectors, it will be confiscated. BUT ... Ontario's posted 100 km/h limit is widely ignored. As long as you don't ignore it by more than the locals are ignoring it, you should be okay most of the time ...
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 19:14   #20
brucetmoose
Veteran Member

Default Brian - does the knife restriction include pocket knives ???

Brian;

Several of us probably have swiss-army pocket knives, is that what you were referring to or something larger like Rambo knives, etc
Old November 25th, 2006, 13:11   #21
whitedog
Veteran Member

What about a US citizen driving across the border to Vancoueoeueuver then flying to Montreal? Would there be issues at the airport?
Old November 25th, 2006, 19:29   #22
Teejay

Not likely, generally they only do customs when there's a flight coming in from a foreign country, if you've already entered the country, and the flight was from say Vancouver to Toronto, connector to Montreal, then you wouldnt have to deal with customs at the airport because the flight never left the country. However, Air Canada is friggen expensive. I dont know if Westjet flies from Vancouver to Montreal or not.. might be something to look into though.
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:45   #23
whitedog
Veteran Member

Default Maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay
Not likely, generally they only do customs when there's a flight coming in from a foreign country, if you've already entered the country, and the flight was from say Vancouver to Toronto, connector to Montreal, then you wouldnt have to deal with customs at the airport because the flight never left the country. However, Air Canada is friggen expensive. I dont know if Westjet flies from Vancouver to Montreal or not.. might be something to look into though.
Maybe it's not such a good idea.
Old November 28th, 2006, 09:23   #24
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucetmoose
Brian;

Several of us probably have swiss-army pocket knives, is that what you were referring to or something larger like Rambo knives, etc
If in doubt, don't bring it. A lot of those pocket knives are illegal here ...
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:20   #25
wny_pat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg

Don't think anyone has covered this, and hopefully it does not apply to any of us. Canada has this thing called "Criminal Inadmissibility". It does not take much to fall into their idea of a criminal. Basically, if your name pops up on their computer which is linked to our computers, you fit the bill. You can read about it at the following link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.html . Go down to the 3rd paragraph in "Before coming to Canada" and click on "inadmissibility to Canada". There you can read all about it. One who falls in this class can also apply for permission to enter Canada. Sorry, but could not link directly to the proper page. Kept getting a 404 page not available when I tried to link to it.

As you see, they include both minor and serious offenses to fall into the inadmissibility class. So if by chance you have been convicted even something you consider minor, check this first. And what ever you do, do not lie to Canadian Immigrations Officers. If they catch you in a lie, well you may spend some time somewhere else in Canada.
Old November 28th, 2006, 21:39   #26
brucetmoose
Veteran Member

Wink Convicted - right ?

"No (looks at the army recruiting guy), we haven't been convicted."

I do have several convictions though which relate to TDI's

I'll leave the knife home. No sense starting WWIII over it. Hopefully I won't need it while in the Yukon fighting off bears trying to steal my TDI.
Old November 28th, 2006, 21:53   #27
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
"No (looks at the army recruiting guy), we haven't been convicted."

I do have several convictions though which relate to TDI's

I'll leave the knife home. No sense starting WWIII over it. Hopefully I won't need it while in the Yukon fighting off bears trying to steal my TDI.
The correct question should be, "Kid, did you ever go to court?"
Old November 28th, 2006, 21:55   #28
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Reading that...

Would "failure to yield" be considered a criminal conviction that would cause trouble? I plead no contest on that, and my plea was accepted, though. Further complicating matters.

Based on some of the stuff there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 23:22   #29
wny_pat
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr
Reading that...

Would "failure to yield" be considered a criminal conviction that would cause trouble? I plead no contest on that, and my plea was accepted, though. Further complicating matters.

Based on some of the stuff there...
Think failure to yield would be minor traffic infraction. They are talking about criminal convictions like felony and misdemeanors, even traffic law related. DWI, DWAI, Reckless driving, Road Rage, and other more worse crimes.

A organization I belong to held a convention up there last year and they had to notify all the members of this particular Canadian Law. Also gave out the info on how to apply for special entry to attend the convention if anyone had a problem. I think the biggest thing is to be truthful, plus tell them at border that you are attending a convention, what and where the convention is.

Last edited by wny_pat; November 28th, 2006 at 23:34.
wny_pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 23:37   #30
wny_pat
Veteran Member

Quote:
No sense starting WWIII over it. Hopefully I won't need it while in the Yukon fighting off bears trying to steal my TDI.
Loved that John Candy movie!! And you should not have to fight off any bears unless you are running wvo.