www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2007

TDIFest 2007 Discussion about TDIFest 2007 that happened in Montréal, Canada.

Old November 7th, 2006, 20:53   #61
Radman
Veteran Member

TDI Meister all you need to now is how tom say 'Voulez Vous Coucher Avec Moi se Soir' to the lovely Montreal ladies and all will be fine Sure hope you can make it Dave. Same goes for all my New England friends and Ontario buddies. You guys have no excuses ! Less than a 6 hour drive for most! Heck Im in Boston right now for work Hope to see you all there, Montreal is a great city with much to offer for the whole family. You wont be disappointed
Old November 7th, 2006, 21:13   #62
brucetmoose
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42-winter, 46-summer
Default Everyone is correct about the passport requirements for fly-in's/drive-in's

As a confirmation, everyone who quoted Jan 2007 as being the year passports are required - that is for flying in only, the drive-in's don't take effect until Jan of 2008.

Since I am so close to the border and like to take the kids on occasion, I thought it would be a good time to "bite the bullet" so to speak and get passports now before the line at the post office gets any longer. Plus the fact that some of the training centers for classes I might have to go to are located in Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto. And each is really within an easy driving distance from me.
Demand 50/50 now! (50 MPG in all 50 states)
You can get any TDI you want at Alice'sDealership
brucetmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 21:23   #63
Radman
Veteran Member

For those of you who need or already have Passports I highly reccomend you get them renewed (if not already) I think it is much easier to cross if you have one. I barely got asked any questions when crossing this morning. They scanned my Passport and just asked where and why I was going and thats it. I hope people will not be deterred to come just because of this issue. Make sure you have a valid ID either Drivers license or Birth Certificate (read info posted by VWDerf) and you should be fine. Unless you have a criminal record or are wanted
Old November 7th, 2006, 21:27   #64
VelvetFoot
Veteran Member

Awesome. I will be there (#8!).
Old November 7th, 2006, 21:38   #65
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

We'll be there too!

Good times!
Old November 7th, 2006, 21:49   #66
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman
Unless you have a criminal record or are wanted
I guess I would be safe since I'm not wanted anywhere.

Me or my freakin' engine.
Old November 7th, 2006, 21:50   #67
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

WOOHOO!!!!

can't wait!! I'm there!
BlueCTTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 19:25   #68
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Make sure you have a valid ID either Drivers license or Birth Certificate...
AND not "or". It is necessary to match the person with the citizenship status.

A driver's license matches the person via the picture to the name, but driver's licenses are legally issued to non-US citizens (foreign university students, for example).
A birth certificate matches the name to the citizenship status, but has no picture to match the name to the person showing it.
Both the government issued picture-and-name ID plus an acceptable document of citizenship with the same name are needed.
Or a passport alone since it is proof of citizenship of the person matching the picture therein.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by Lug_Nut; November 8th, 2006 at 19:27.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 20:44   #69
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
AND not "or". It is necessary to match the person with the citizenship status.

A driver's license matches the person via the picture to the name, but driver's licenses are legally issued to non-US citizens (foreign university students, for example).
A birth certificate matches the name to the citizenship status, but has no picture to match the name to the person showing it.
Both the government issued picture-and-name ID plus an acceptable document of citizenship with the same name are needed.
Or a passport alone since it is proof of citizenship of the person matching the picture therein.
How about a Sociable Security card?
Old November 9th, 2006, 07:44   #70
Radman
Veteran Member

Fred posted some info here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=157486
Old November 9th, 2006, 15:11   #71
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Quote:
TDI Meister all you need to now is how tom say 'Voulez Vous Coucher Avec Moi se Soir' to the lovely Montreal ladies and all will be fine Sure hope you can make it Dave.
I will do my very best to come. And if I do, I will bring along a native von dem Vaterland. There's a reason why I have been online so little over the past two months...
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 18:41   #72
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog
How about a Social Security card?
Whose?

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 19:13   #73
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Excellent!
Old November 9th, 2006, 21:51   #74
WPB TDI FRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister
I will do my very best to come. And if I do, I will bring along a native von dem Vaterland.
Ausgezeichnet !! Ausgezeichnet!! I have no problem with saying to the lovely ladies from Deutschland: He wurde reizender Verlust, wie Sie mögen über das Pumpe Dusse im heutigen Techlernabschnitt erlernen?

HOWEVER, I may be apprehensive in saying something like

Quote:
'Voulez Vous Coucher Avec Moi se Soir' to the lovely Montreal ladies...
I mean, for example, is there such thing as a "Canadian kiss", and if so, what is THAT like ?? At least in Paris, one knows exactly what they are getting if they say something like: Bonjour dames. Comment vous tout aime se renseigner sur le Pumpe Dusse dans le divan après que la session de technologie soit terminée plus tardive ce soir. Are there any lovely ladies from Paris in Montreal??
WPB TDI FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 22:38   #75
TDIinRI
Veteran Member

WOW, I am elated at all the interest in this years fest location. With people from as far away as Germany, Texas, and Wyoming expressing interest in comming, the pressure is on for our group to put on an awesome event for you guys!!! And awesome it will be! There are some points I'd like to make and some questions I'd like to answer. Perhaps this will shed some light on for you. Please post questions, concerns, and thoughs here so that we can address them.

Passport issues:
There is another thread in this section dealing with this issues. If you are comming from the USA, PLEASE read it!!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=157486

Car rental/Transportation from airport:

We do not expect to have huge numbers of people comming into Montreal by air (though we hope to be proved wrong). Since there will be so many members with cars at the Fest, we are going to arrange a shuttle service for members flying in to be picked up by volunteers. This will be a great way to meet new people and help out.

Many of the activities will be centered around the hotel itself. While you may find a car necessary to leave the hotel and explore, keep in mind that there will be plenty of members at the Fest with cars heading out around the city and elsewhere. Ask to join them and carpool. Most won't mind and it is a good way to connect and meet others!

I recommend that you rent a car only if you absolutely have to. Quebec province is an extremely expensive place to rent a car. The taxes on car rentals are outragious. So, if you are considering renting, make sure you get a price WITH TAXES INCLUDED before you decide!

Language Concern:

Montreal is a bilingual city. As a tourist, you will not need to speak French, though it is appreciated! In almost every situation a tourist will encounter, they will be able to speak English. Of course there might be a few exceptions, but that is what is fun about being in a foreign country. However, rest assured that you will be able to get by without issue.
Once we get closer to the fest, a guide will be put up online with some hints for the traveler comming to Montreal for the first time. This will include some basic translation of roud signs that you may encounter. In some areas, there is more English than others, so it will be useful to know a few key words.

Example: When you see a sign that says Rue Barr
é, it mean Street Closed and not Barré Street =) It will also contain useful information such as the fact that right turns on red are illegal on Montreal Island.

We hope to provide everyone is more information than they need! So if we are missing something or you are wondering about something, do not hesitate to let a member of the planning committee know!