www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 31st, 2006, 11:46   #1
rhino77
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38 in town, 51 highway
Default Help! Keys Locked In Jetta!! OH NO'S!

Alright Guys, I'm stuck. I was cleaning my intake, put it together again and was about to start the car. I unlocked the door and put the key in the ignition. I then remembered "Oh yeah, my shop light." and I got out, and shut the door. With out even thinking about it, the car doors locked as they do automatically. BUT! The key is IN THE IGNITION! The only way to get the door unlocked is by pulling the key out of the ignition, which will automatically unlock the door for me. Nice right?

For the people that don't know about the VW Imobilizer. I can't unlock with a clothes hanger on the unlock switch. I can't reach the key with the wire, and if I did, probably wouldn't have enough pry on the thing to get it released.

I DO have the hood of the car still open. Anything I can do under there? I tried taking the negative post off the battery for about a minute and hoping that maybe it would see the key was in or unlock or something. I'm stumped. I am about to call a guy to get my door unlocked. Before I do, anyone have any suggestions? Tricks? Remember I do have the hood open.

Rhino
yahoo: heysuperfly

Last edited by rhino77; October 31st, 2006 at 11:48.
rhino77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:52   #2
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

No extra keys

-J
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:55   #3
rhino77
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85
No extra keys

-J
Nay. None. I bought the car two weeks ago and it had one key. I was going to get a vallet key done today too... kinda ironic. I went to VW but they can't cut one with out a key to do it from. I even showed them pics, my vin, proof of insurance and asked if they could look it up or something. NOTHIN! So yeah...
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:59   #4
akmike
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42

Rock meet window!! you'll need a new window but actually it will most likely be cheaper to break your window and replace it than get keys via VW or anyone else. It's happened to me before, but we have spares, and I am now paranoid about leaving keys in car, now I roll window down if I have some pressing reason to need car to be running and me standing outside of it. Maybe someone else has a better fix.....
akmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:02   #5
rhino77
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmike
Rock meet window!! you'll need a new window but actually it will most likely be cheaper to break your window and replace it than get keys via VW or anyone else. It's happened to me before, but we have spares, and I am now paranoid about leaving keys in car, now I roll window down if I have some pressing reason to need car to be running and me standing outside of it. Maybe someone else has a better fix.....
Ouch! Yeah, I thought about it. Not at the top of my list right now, but I'm seriously considering it. I have to get a key cut anyways, cause I put one underneath the car with a zip tie in the case this happens on the road (I'm sure it will one day too). Vallet key seemed cheapest to do. Hopefully there is a better idea, but if not... Rock... meet window
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:12   #6
larsbc

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Do slim jims work on the VW locks? If so, you could get one or make one (angle grinder and a long hacksaw blade is all you need to make one). Doesn't require too much practice. I opened a car in our driveway after about 10 minutes of fiddling.

I've seen some tow truck drivers trying to fish keys out by feeding a wire around the door frame, not through the window. They have rubber shims to keep the window frame pulled away from the roof. Dunno if it'll work with the Jetta doors though.

Thieves generally break into Jettas by breaking the door lock. Can u hammer a big slot head screwdriver into the key slot and turn it? Not sure if it'll be cheaper to replace that or the window.

larsbc
larsbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:16   #7
rhino77
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsbc
Thieves generally break into Jettas by breaking the door lock. Can u hammer a big slot head screwdriver into the key slot and turn it? Not sure if it'll be cheaper to replace that or the window.
larsbc
I'm thinking that the door lock would be more expensive. I could get a used window from a parts yard if I looked around for maybe 35 bucks... installing would be a bit of a bastard, but it's coming to be my next option. If there is anyone though that has any idea on how to open the locks from under the hood even, that would be awesome... if not, keep them comin guys. Someone had to have this happen to them one time or another.

I may try that hacksaw blade thing. I dont' know if a slim jim will work on a jetta though. hmmm....
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:23   #8
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

Well, the door should not have locked. Once the door has been unlocked (by the key or whatever) and opened, it should not relock until you either lock it your self or drive over 10mph.

If it does lock, then the computer never sensed the door opening, which means you have a faulty micro switch in the door.

IIRC, slimjims don't work.

The game of Bridge is like Sex: You need either a good partner or a good hand.

You're either part of the solution or you're part of the precipitate.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:25   #9
wny_pat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg

That window is probably going to drop anyway. Two birds with one stone.
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:27   #10
bam_bam_dip
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.3, 700 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsbc
Do slim jims work on the VW locks? If so, you could get one or make one (angle grinder and a long hacksaw blade is all you need to make one). Doesn't require too much practice. I opened a car in our driveway after about 10 minutes of fiddling.

I've seen some tow truck drivers trying to fish keys out by feeding a wire around the door frame, not through the window. They have rubber shims to keep the window frame pulled away from the roof. Dunno if it'll work with the Jetta doors though.

larsbc
Slim jims do not work, but correct lock out tools do. Pop-a-lock in our area charges roughly 25-30 bucks to unlock one. That's a whole lot cheaper than a new window.

My Father's house is a big, big house.
bam_bam_dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:27   #11
rhino77
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny_pat
That window is probably going to drop anyway. Two birds with one stone.
HAHAHAHA!!
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:29   #12
Slave2school
Veteran Member

On my car I could pull the door back far enough from the frame and use a coat hanger to physicaly grab the door handle on the inside.
Slave2school is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:33   #13
rhino77
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave2school
On my car I could pull the door back far enough from the frame and use a coat hanger to physicaly grab the door handle on the inside.
from which angle did you come from? The back of the door or the top? I have a screwdriver and a small jim of wood to do this with... I couldn't get it on there. How was your hanger set up? A hook, or did you have a loop?

EDIT! Shucks... I gotta go get my girlfriend in like 10 minutes. I'm going to go try this really quick and be back to the thread in like an hour or two. I'll let you all know if it worked or not. But basically, it sounds like it all comes down to the old school techniques. Bum deal.

Last edited by rhino77; October 31st, 2006 at 12:36.
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:37   #14
Slave2school
Veteran Member

The top part near the rear where you can spread it apart further and a hook on the end of a coat hanger. Took a few tries but it wasn't that bad. Put a thin layer of electrical tape on the coat poking/pulling implement to save the paint around the door frame
Slave2school is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:39   #15
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Probably won't help you now but there was some talk of going to an Audi dealer and having a slim plastic key made that worked for the doors only if I remember right. You might get this done for your spare lockout key.