www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old October 29th, 2006, 10:59   #16
wjdell
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg. 41.93 high 46.32 low 34.6

I see they used allot of calcium in the 5W40. It does look like good oil. I hope Valvoline will submit oil for 507. When they do I would be very happy to use a American oil. I think Valvoline can afford the testing and 507 will be around long enough to justify it. The TBN was very high as the ash, that is not good for a fixed interval oil, but more a extended.

I just looked at the test and I am not a big Mobil fan but the test is bias. The additives in the older Mobil oil would not do as well as the newer additive package in the Valvoline. The test needs to be conducted with Mobil's latest oils if we are to consider the test fair.

~ USED OIL ANALYSIS ~ http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=190958
~
1.9 PD Jetta V ~ pkg 1 ~
DSG ~ 17" VV ~ 36/34 psi ~
ULSD ~ DG-BP90 - speed 39.2
hwy/city 83% / 17% ~
elev 58 ft / temp 72 F / humidity 76% ~ MPG 48.3 / 42.8 / 35.6

Last edited by wjdell; October 29th, 2006 at 11:14.
wjdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 17:20   #17
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

valvoline claims this oil meets VW 502.00, 505.00 , 505.01 BMW LL-04 , MB 229.5/MB229.51 , MB 229.31/229.3 .

The oil definitely smells like pure sysnthetic and nothing like dino or GIII oil. maybe it is their Euro formulation

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...=30275&cat=516

Last edited by Dimitri16V; October 29th, 2006 at 17:40.
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 17:40   #18
tdijerry
Veteran Member

Talking valvoline 505.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivbiwire
Take a picture and post it, I simply posted the specs directly OFF THE VALVOLINE WEB SITE.

No bashing just pointing out a descrepency in what you posted.

DB
i was in autozone today and it did say vw 505.00 on the valvoline bottle.

2000 beetle tdi
2003 beetle 2.0

tdijerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 17:42   #19
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdijerry
i was in autozone today and it did say vw 505.00 on the valvoline bottle.
check the pic. i will run this oil in my next oil change since I put lots of miles on my PD

Last edited by Dimitri16V; October 29th, 2006 at 18:06.
Old October 29th, 2006, 19:56   #20
Zero10
Veteran Member

Forgive my ignorance, but if the 5W30 is 505.01 approved, would you be so kind as to point me to a list published by VAG that mentions it? It is entirely possible that I have missed such a list, and I am now very curious.

I agree that it would be nice to see a 507.00 oil from a local (read north american) manufacturer, maybe valvoline will come through for one?
Old October 29th, 2006, 20:20   #21
tntdifan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRG
IIRC - the 5w-30 is officially VW505.01 approved. the 5w-40 will also list 505.01, uses the same additive chemistry as the 5w-30, but was not submitted to VAG for 505.01 approval.
YDRC (You don't recall correctly)

The 5w-30 is a special product, "Synpower MST", which is not 505.01 approved but is in the VWAG formal approval process. (The data sheet says "505.01 pending".) It's not the same as regular Synpower 5W-30. It's currently available in Europe, but it's not clear whether, when, or how it will be available in the USA.

Valvoline does have other Euro-only products that are 505.01 approved, and 507.00 approved as well.

The Synpower 5W-40 sold in the USA does not have VWAG approval, but some of the packages seem to have a 505.01 notation on them, and Valvoline insists that it's okay for 505.01 applications.
tntdifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 21:08   #22
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 28mpg@74mph: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon

TIWIRR (this is what i recalled reading)

from Valvoline:
Quote:
The current Synpower 5W40 is not approved against the VW 505.01 specification. It uses VW 505.01 capable chemistry, similar to the chemistry used in our Synpower MST 5W-30 that we are progressing an official VW 505.01 approval on, and the 5W40 meets all the physical and chemical characteristics required for the VW 505.01 specification. We feel based on the engine test data and the Physical/Chemical characteristics it has VW 505.01 performance and we fully back its use in applications calling for a VW 505.01 approved product.
my above post has been deleted due to inaccurate content
Old October 29th, 2006, 21:37   #23
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

So the synthetic maxlife is the same as Synpower 5W-30 ?
Old October 31st, 2006, 16:32   #24
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

checked another Walmart, all the 5W-30 had only 505.00 listed. BUT the 10W-30 had included 505.01 There was a change on the labels on some point to include the new specs because another MB spec was added too
Old November 11th, 2006, 13:23   #25
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (505k miles)

A bump and a comment: I agree with dieseldorf that Valvoline/Ashland Oil appears to be "out of control" -- they are posting VW and MB specs on product sheets and possibly on oil containers that don't seem to make good sense. See post #24 by SUNRG for what appears to be their strategy.

I would recommend that folks avoid all Valvoline synthetic products, since there is no way to know what specs, if any, that they actually meet. This would also apply to non-VW and non-Audi vehicles as well.
'03 Golf with 505k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 14:04   #26
Frank M
BANNED

TDI(s): NB
Smile Its kind of like an obsession for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed
" -- they are posting VW and MB specs on product sheets and possibly on oil containers that don't seem to make good sense. .
This is why I stick with using a VW certified ONLY

When an oil company puts "meets specifications ***.**"
there is no check and balance unless VW, MB, etc. certify it.

Sad part is, people insist on using this stuff, and actaully go out of their way to get it. Its kind of like an obsession for some.

I take the sure and easy route. Go to Wally or AutoZone and buy the Certified oil.
Frank M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 14:14   #27
Frank M
BANNED

TDI(s): NB
Default probably don't care if the oil is made from milk and honey, as long as it passes

I would assume a manufacturer such as VW or MB states what the oil needs to do under certain parameters. They probably don't care if the oil is made from milk and honey, as long as it passes their test criteria.

Then it is up to a oil vendor to produce an oil to pass those tests.

For an oil company to copy some one else ingredients and say it "meets specifications" is not good enough for me.

As we may have experienced in following a food recipe, using a certain brand ingredient can make or break the end result. Some times other ingredients can be used achieve the same result. Either way, the taste test must be performed.
Frank M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 16:25   #28
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 28mpg@74mph: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed
A bump and a comment: I agree with dieseldorf that Valvoline/Ashland Oil appears to be "out of control" -- they are posting VW and MB specs on product sheets and possibly on oil containers that don't seem to make good sense. See post #24 by SUNRG for what appears to be their strategy.

I would recommend that folks avoid all Valvoline synthetic products, since there is no way to know what specs, if any, that they actually meet. This would also apply to non-VW and non-Audi vehicles as well.
FWIW - i have nothing but my gut to go with on this, but i think Valvoline knows every last detail of all VW specs, as they have numerous VW approved oils, and my gut says that every oil Valvoline's putting OEM specs on is legitimately formulated to those specifications.

when was the last time anyone's seen a bad Valvoline UOA? i personally have seen some very good ones...
Old November 11th, 2006, 17:14   #29
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (505k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRG
FWIW - i have nothing but my gut to go with on this, but i think Valvoline knows every last detail of all VW specs, as they have numerous VW approved oils, and my gut says that every oil Valvoline's putting OEM specs on is legitimately formulated to those specifications.

when was the last time anyone's seen a bad Valvoline UOA? i personally have seen some very good ones...
My gut says not to trust Valvoline very far at all. Their DuraBlend 5w40 sold in Europe meets the 505.01, but it's not sold here.

As for their other products, I suppose the Premium Blue Extreme synthetic 5w40 might be okay, CI-4 or CI-4 Plus and all.

If I had a PD engine, I wouldn't use Valvoline -- too many other good producs out there.

[Disclaimer: I once worked for Ashland Oil, and I own shares in the company. It doesn't mean I like their products.]
'03 Golf with 505k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 21:39   #30
D_Bill
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01 jetta
Fuel Economy: around town 40-42 hiway 52-54
Default valvoline

I want to tread lightly as this is only my second post so here goes:

I dug out an old Valvoline Synpower 5w40 and on the back it says
VW502/505Approved

( I've been using this - been getting it at Pep Boys for 18 mos - since I got my 01 tdi Jetta in Mar 05 )

I picked up a fresh batch this past weekend and the new bottle now says
Meets Performance of
VW 502/505/505.01

IMHO the new bottles do not say VW approved but are only certified by Valvoline, that said I guess that I've been doing OK since my 01 only needs the 505 spec - I'll save a couple bottles with different labels just in case though.
D_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote