www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old October 22nd, 2006, 13:16   #1
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)
Default B5.5 Passat TDI timing belt question

Has any of you gurus out there performed a B5.5 timing belt change? Was it is a total bear or was not as bad as one would think type situation. I know there are some of you that drive the pants off a car mleage wise and you have probably reached the milestone needed for a chnage. If you have, did you have a guru do it? When I need to have my B5 tdi done some 65000 miles from now, I want to seek out someone who has not done just none or one of the B5 timing belts.

Last edited by leicaman; October 22nd, 2006 at 16:08.
leicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 15:11   #2
vw4life
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 7.4 L/100km 75% city (~32 MPG US)

I am curious too, to know if the longitudinal mount and bigger engine bay in the B5.5 is harder/easier than the transverse A4 platform.
\\\ David /// 2005 B5.5V TDI Stonehenge Grey - Manual Headlamp Leveling - Aspherical Mirrors - Ventectomy trouble? - Fuel Economy - Euro trailer hitch: towing, install, safety chains, towing, wiring, euro bike rack! +Factory de-tooef's, Airlift
vw4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 17:27   #3
ltz

TDI(s): Passat 01

Perhaps I'm not a guru, and maybe this is not what you asked for. But is might be a reference. I think it is fairly easy to work on the car, and I'm in no way equipped with the tools needed. I did my B5.5 TDI (130hp version) timing belt change in 10-12 hours, including water pump. This with none of the VAG special tools (did have laptop + vagcom..) I borrowed a friends carport and started the change. I followed the workshop manual, having to remove pretty much everything between the front/cooler and the front of the engine. This forced me to relase the entire front of the car and to push this 4 inches out before I could do the change.
ltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 19:28   #4
eyetdiman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41 HWY, 35 City

A bit off topic, but when was the B.5 introduced and when was the last one made? Anyone know how many were made?
Old October 22nd, 2006, 19:38   #5
leicaman
Veteran Member

Do a search on that, as I believe I posted some information on that awhile back.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 20:35   #6
eyetdiman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41 HWY, 35 City

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicaman
Do a search on that, as I believe I posted some information on that awhile back.
Doesn't seem to work. I put Passat B.5 in the search box, click go and everything else appears.???
Old October 22nd, 2006, 23:20   #7
IRONBOY

Fuel Economy: 28/33city 40/44 Hwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyetdiman
Doesn't seem to work. I put Passat B.5 in the search box, click go and everything else appears.???
Yes, it does work and here is the requested info: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=145628 (PASSAT TDI FACTS)
M1A2 Abrams 1Mile= 5-8Gallons
85 MB 300D,344k and Counting...
IRONBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 23:48   #8
IRONBOY

Fuel Economy: 28/33city 40/44 Hwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyetdiman
Where we stand determines what we see and How we search also determines our results
M1A2 Abrams 1Mile= 5-8Gallons
85 MB 300D,344k and Counting...
IRONBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:58   #9
IrishFrank

What about getting the how to video as per the ad at the top of the page.

I replaced the radiator on my 2001 b5, nothing the hard just slow and tedious removed front grille bumper cross member. Shifted the ac condensor out of the way.

Then of course I cut the arms of myself trying to remove the 2 pipes.

Very satisfying though

I reckon this is about half way to a timing belt change.
IrishFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 22:27   #10
jcaimhigher
Veteran Member

This question came up at the right time for me as well. My oil pump chain snapped, housing shattered, pieces gone and I figured I have 66k and the dealer and VW say 100k to do it at. I don't feel like busting it all open again and removing the front clip and all was a pain. I just need to make sure it's all done right.

BTW, anyone know exactly where the balance shaft is at? Is this inline with the timing belt or actually the piston looking brace that is a tensioner on one of the belts?

Is the laptop essential to doing the timing? I'd imagine that this can be done to optimize performance too by adjusting it either way and to allow for as little soot as possible.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by jcaimhigher; November 5th, 2006 at 22:31.
jcaimhigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 22:46   #11
leicaman
Veteran Member

You should have a Bently manual for the car as you are in way deep. Oilhammer and MOGolf probably have the most complete real knowledge on how to work on the north south motors in TDI cars. When you put it back together, make darn sure to use the right motor oil, ie a 505.01 vw specification motor oil.
Old November 6th, 2006, 23:00   #12
jcaimhigher
Veteran Member

I've been using Amsoil and Mobil 1 specific to the 505.1 specs. You're absolutely right.

As for the Bentley, I'm not too confident in it from the numerous people I've talked with and reading the posts here. I did put a request for info into Haynes in Europe. They now have the manual for 01-05 but it's just now out and so far not here in the states yet. I'm hoping to find a way to get one. I've used them for many years and I'm quite confident in them. I rebuilt a Duratec in February with the aid of one without a problem.

With this baby I want to make sure it definitely is right. From what I'm reading and finding, the timing belt kit locks everything in place. If that's the case then I'm good, no messin around with trying to line everything up again from scratch. My concern is taking of the crank gear for the timing belt. It has to be removed to replace the housing/flange over the oil pump. From looking at it, it may just be some elbow grease but I'm hoping that everything truly is locked in place.

I will check with those two members and see if they can lend their knowledge on this. Thanks for the info!!!
John
jcaimhigher is offline   Reply With Quote