pump nozzle beware

buckweat diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit truck diesel 2000 tdi
check this out a pd i worked on today oh this is at fix um haus in oregon on a 2004 golf 98k 5 speed pd
wrong oil dont let it happen to u
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited:

buckweat diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
pd

[/IMG]the lady brought her car to the dealer 5 times dident fix the problem:mad:
so she brought it to us at fix um haus
and i saw it was throwing black soot through the intake so i tor it down to find a jacked cam lifters bearings and a hole list of crap im not a great typer im a vw tech that specilizes in tdis.
i just fix it;)

Last edited:

Strack

Veteran Member
Lot's of questions here..

What kind of oil did the owner use, what service intervals were followed, what were the symptoms of the problem, what was done to correct & repair the engine?

Please tell us your story. Quite a few PD owners have an interest in such matters regarding lubrication and premature engine wear.

Thnx

buckweat diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
oil

well she always took it to the dealer exept for 2 time but she ran synthetic oil she whent pretty long on the innervols i think lots of wear on the cam bearings:(
the egr blew up 2 times when it was the cam creating back presure the wrong way through tje turbo it was blowing out the intake while the turbo was blowing back so it was like to rams butting each other the # 1 exsaust valve is like an egg and the pump nozzle lobe is like someone took a file too it its bad ( have your machanic check your lifter people)
every tdi i get in iv been replacing lifters like hot cakes:(

i think the motors should be running 50601
the cam and lifters on these pds are just too soft runnig too much stuff the lobes are thinner than a1961 vw bug (come on vw what are you thinking)

Last edited:

Strack

Veteran Member
Do you happen to know what grade and spec oil was used? At 98K miles, this is premature wear for sure. It sound as though running non 505.01 spec oil will reduce your engine life by two thirds, assuming average life of a TDI to be 300K miles with proper service intervals.

buckweat diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
yes yes the pd and ve should get at least 400k on the bottom end i know it all i do is build motors race or bone stock im shooting for 500k on my bottom end:D oh 50501 its the dealer man unless there real monkeys :rolleyes:
i say replace you lifters every cam belt change but im also a motor nut

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
buckweat diesel said:
its a toss up but the valve lobes:(
So both were damaged severely. In your expert, rasta opinon, did the injector lobes show wear from the wrong oil from damage from other stuff?

Why I'm asking is that there has been discussion that the 505.01 spec oil is to protect the valve lobes more than the injector lobes. This would be because they had to narrow them so much to make room for the wide injector lobes.

And don't throw away that cam!!!! Next time there is a GTG, I want to see that thing.

buckweat diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
in my rasta man opinion the 50501 is as good as dirt for the pd motors the lobes are working to hard the injectors have so muchpreshure thatcam and injectors are duking it out for oil:mad:
and you should see the cam bearings thay are so gone
no on pump nozzles with 50501
oh im saving the cam to chuck through hitlers grave or through the windows of those guys that mised the nurimburg trials

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
oh im saving the cam to chuck through hitlers grave or through the windows of those guys that mised the nurimburg trials
Says the man with the Tat on his chest... :D

Dang it man... Now I really need to send in this last oil sample. If anything at all looks off color, I'm pulling the valve cover.

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
So when you say 505.01 is as good as dirt... do you mean that it's useless, or that it is a necessity?....
I read too much into these things.....

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
whitedog, why the sad face for PD? my uncle lives in bend, btw. do u still have that fm100 clear bowl water sep for sale?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Poopster, I see that now. It helps to compare those lines on the two lobes.

Burpod,, I just feel I would be better off for amny reasons. I'll send a PM to this doens't get too far off track.

CaJones

BANNED
What is the customer running for fuel? D2 or biodiesel? Could byproducts from biodiesel destroy the oil, causing cam failure? More diagnosis is necessary as to the cause of failure.

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
Buckwheat Diesel - Your posts ramble so much and are written so poorly that I have no clue what you are warning about.

One post you say use 505.01. The next you say use 506.01. Then you say you are not an engineer. Give us a clue about your logic on this one.

This thread is useless without actual information on this car. Such as OCI, actual oil used (dealer oil doesn't cut it, because they may have been putting bulk 5w30 for all we know), etc.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
FWIW - when thermographer/kevin had his TB changed on his 2004 PD at 100,000 miles the VW tech said everything looked brand new - LINK. i think the tech would have mentioned something if kevin's cam / valve lobes were looking thrashed. he had used Castrol 505.01 exclusively until mile 97219 when he switched to ELF Solaris LLX 5w-30 507.00.

i do get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing all the RNT testing 506.01 & 507.00 oils had to pass before making it to my PD :D

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I'd like to pull the VC and take a look at my cam. Will the cover (gasket) reseal? I understand you can't get the gasket separate for the VC.

I've used 505.01 from day 1 and drive fairly gently. I bet mine looks brand new. It has 57,000 miles on it now.

Even using the wrong oil may not damage the cam as much as the pictures show. The owner may have neglected oil changes AND let it run way low. My ex wife, when I first met her, had a Toyota Corolla w/ 86,000 miles and no oil on the dip stick and a seized oil plug it had been so long that the plug was loosened. She mentioned that the oil has not been changed for "a few years":eek: The cam lobes were quite worn on that car as well.

--Nate

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
mparker326 said:
Buckwheat Diesel - Your posts ramble so much and are written so poorly that I have no clue what you are warning about.
Then don't read it Dude. He stated he is a VW tech, not an author. Buckwheat, keep the info coming & ignore the ignorant posts. Some of us appreciate it.

cujet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
This is a good reason to perform UOA (used oil analysis) on your PD engine. Not sure if a one time test is OK, or if it is better to test regularly.

In any case, with the level of wear this engine has, a UOA would have shown some massive contamination.

Buckwheat Diesel is doing us all a favor. This is good information.

I have one suggestion for Buckwheat Diesel. Try typing your text in a word processing program first with spell check on. Even an AOL email window. Then cut n paste it into the diesel forum.

I don't spell everything correctly either. So, I use the word processor when I need to.

Chris

DrewD

Veteran Member
Thanks for the info. Everyone has their place/station in life and has been granted unique individual talents and gifts from their creator. I will never be an author, a brain surgeon, or a skilled VW mechanic but that doesn't mean I should be criticized for not having the same level of skills as some may have.

I recall the time I was very upset because a man was having trouble getting money out of his ATM. He repeatedly tried to use his ATM card, enter his PIN, but it kept spitting it out. I'm embarassed to admit that I shouted a smart-alec response that no matter how often he tried, if he didn't have money in his acount, he wouldn't be able to extract any. I was humbled and felt like **** when he turned around and asked for my help because he was blind. Consequently, I am trying to be less judgemental of others and accept them who they are, faults and all. My only exception to this rule are punk teenagers who don't know how to properly wear a baseball cap :)

Sounds like another example of poor maintenance by a clueless VW owner. These vehicles require user involvement.

Last edited: