www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 25th, 2018, 08:51   #3451
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member
 
Blue_Hen_TDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Slower, DE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James & Son View Post
B_H_T_The coolant heater is making a considerable difference. If those are the same oil it improved the flash as well.
Same oil on both. The coolant heater was only responsible for about 1,000 of those miles, but it may have given a small assist.

Next change should reveal more, but I also changed a variable by switching to Total oil, because ID Parts had it for a significantly better price than my dealer was offering the Castrol. Ill post that UOA in a few months and well revisit.
__________________

Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 18:49   #3452
tikal
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southeast Texas
Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)
Default UOA from Renewable Lubricants SAE 5W40 (Low Ash)

This is my fourth UOA analysis on my Passat PD (BHW engine) and so far the one with the best results, although I cannot say that the rest of the UOAs are bad either. This oil sample came from my last oil change in mid-May 2017 and it had also 1 quart of the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 (VW 507) mixed in that I had left from my previous oil change.

http://renewablelube.com/files/8914/...tor_Oil_LA.pdf

tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 19:14   #3453
tikal
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southeast Texas
Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)
Default UOA from Renewable Lubricants SAE 5W40 (Low Ash)

Maybe this image is easier to read:

tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 20:44   #3454
James & Son
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryhill, Ontario, Canada
TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Default

Thankyou tikal for testing this oil. It confirms my result that I had with this oil.

This result can only get better on the next oil change.

First mixing different brand oils is not normal practice when that same oil has shown the worst iron wear.

Second, this oil and its improved iron wear must also take into consideration the left over addition from the previous oil change. If I remember correctly 15% of iron wear is from the previous oil(info from BITOG). Edit 15% of 33 versus 15% of 22 on the next oil change( not a big difference I guess).

This oil may and will end up on second oil change with less iron. Take out the quart of 5w-30 and it will likely improve further.

Likely(edit: or maybe) by the third oil change tikal will equal my results as well. As far as cost goes I am working on reducing the cost by efficient use of oil and filters.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472383

Last edited by James & Son; January 25th, 2018 at 21:09.
James & Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 14:54   #3455
tikal
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southeast Texas
Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)
Default

Thanks J&S for the feedback. What are your thoughts about 50/50 Renewable Lubricants 5W-40 and 5W-30 to get the best of both worlds in terms of enabling the oil to rapidly circulate at startup plus a healthy HTHS for the PD cams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James & Son View Post
Thankyou tikal for testing this oil. It confirms my result that I had with this oil.
This result can only get better on the next oil change.
First mixing different brand oils is not normal practice when that same oil has shown the worst iron wear.
Second, this oil and its improved iron wear must also take into consideration the left over addition from the previous oil change. If I remember correctly 15% of iron wear is from the previous oil(info from BITOG). Edit 15% of 33 versus 15% of 22 on the next oil change( not a big difference I guess).
This oil may and will end up on second oil change with less iron. Take out the quart of 5w-30 and it will likely improve further.
Likely(edit: or maybe) by the third oil change tikal will equal my results as well. As far as cost goes I am working on reducing the cost by efficient use of oil and filters.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472383
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 07:34   #3456
James & Son
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryhill, Ontario, Canada
TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Default

Tikal, For a pd I am pretty sure the 5w-40 with as high a VI possible is the way to go. If you were all highway I would say you could make the 5W-30 507 work.

But I am now a firm believer that as soon as the rpms drop below 1800 rpm wear is going to take place. This wear is due to contaminants in the oil and slight contact that is taking place when the nose of the cam is nearing or dropping from maximum lift( wears center of lifter).

That is why both Franko6 and Colt have both gone to the billet cam that has a deeper induction hardening to help reduce wear of the cam.

Notice I said help.

I have a much cheaper cam and it is not as hard but hard enough and i need the viscosity of the high index 5w-40 below freezing and at the HTHS of
150 C.

The Renewable 5w-40 is just another one of the things I have done that is helping me.
James & Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 15:23   #3457
bry1216
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boise, ID
Default

Blackstone Laboratories report - We know these engines can have problems with premature cam lobe failure? Car is 2006 Jetta TDI Manual 98416 miles - Iron went from 42 to 74 on 7,005 miles - is this true? I cannot find any mention of it on this website....
Need assistance to post pdf or pic of report.
Thank you for replying.
bry1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2018, 15:30   #3458
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member
 
Blue_Hen_TDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Slower, DE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry1216 View Post
Blackstone Laboratories report - We know these engines can have problems with premature cam lobe failure? Car is 2006 Jetta TDI Manual 98416 miles - Iron went from 42 to 74 on 7,005 miles - is this true? I cannot find any mention of it on this website....
Need assistance to post pdf or pic of report.
Thank you for replying.
Yes, PD cam lobe wear is an issue:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/ca...tdi-pd-engine/

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=241279

As far as posting a report, I just export the Blackstone report without personal information by checking the box on their website, then I screenshot the report, save as JPG, host it on Imgur, and link the image file.
__________________

Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 13:41   #3459
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Omaha NEEEBRASKA
Fuel Economy: Never high enough but always trying for more.... (See signature)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry1216 View Post
Blackstone Laboratories report - We know these engines can have problems with premature cam lobe failure? Car is 2006 Jetta TDI Manual 98416 miles - Iron went from 42 to 74 on 7,005 miles - is this true? I cannot find any mention of it on this website....
Need assistance to post pdf or pic of report.
Thank you for replying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
Yes, PD cam lobe wear is an issue:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/ca...tdi-pd-engine/

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=241279

As far as posting a report, I just export the Blackstone report without personal information by checking the box on their website, then I screenshot the report, save as JPG, host it on Imgur, and link the image file.
Bry1216, read some of those threads and then head over this thread >>> http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=344383 Frank is GRRRRREAT!
__________________
Mrrogers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 14:47   #3460
tikal
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southeast Texas
Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)
Default

Good discussion. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James & Son View Post
Tikal, For a pd I am pretty sure
the 5w-40 with as high a VI possible is the way to go. If you were all highway I would say you could make the 5W-30 507 work.
But I am now a firm believer that as soon as the rpms drop below 1800 rpm wear is going to take place. This wear is due to contaminants in the oil and slight contact that is taking place when the nose of the cam is nearing or dropping from maximum lift( wears center of lifter).
That is why both Franko6 and Colt have both gone to the billet cam that has a deeper induction hardening to help reduce wear of the cam.
Notice I said help.
I have a much cheaper cam and it is not as hard but hard enough and i need the viscosity of the high index 5w-40 below freezing and at the HTHS of
150 C.
The Renewable 5w-40 is just another one of the things I have done that is helping me.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2018, 14:53   #3461
adjat84th
Veteran Member
 
adjat84th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving
Default

Another impressive 10k OCI on Mobil1 TDT used in my '15 Golf (w/DPF deleted). Air filter was changed during this run as well as upgraded to GTD1752vrk ceramic ball bearing turbo at about 5k into the interval. Very pleased with this! Car has 71k miles now.

__________________

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, DC stage 3 w/ SMF, Fluidampr

Last edited by adjat84th; April 7th, 2018 at 14:21.
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2018, 12:50   #3462
tikal
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southeast Texas
Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)
Default

adjat84th, no issues with your DPF or you do not have one in your '15 Golf?
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2018, 14:21   #3463
adjat84th
Veteran Member
 
adjat84th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving
Default

It's been deleted for about 45k miles. Updated my post as that could confuse some folks.
__________________

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, DC stage 3 w/ SMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2018, 21:41   #3464
James & Son
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryhill, Ontario, Canada
TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Default

The mobile TDT seems to have sheared from 14 to 12 csk, it is now a 30 wt. oil, probably sheared down in crank bearings. Iron wear is good but oil consumption is surprisingly high for the 40 wt. oil. I think you would be better served with a higher velocity index 5w-40 in the 13 cst at 100 C range.

You would possibly improve start up wear and reduce oil consumption. I think the oil is to thick for the oil rings to control.
James & Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2018, 01:53   #3465
adjat84th
Veteran Member
 
adjat84th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving
Default

Have always had to add about a quart no matter which oil in this car and a previous '15 GSW. It's been my understanding that TDT has always been a very light 40 wt oil as well. I'll have to look at a UOA from my Jetta to compare.
__________________

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, DC stage 3 w/ SMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.18609 seconds with 9 queries
[Output: 132.47 Kb. compressed to 111.37 Kb. by saving 21.10 Kb. (15.93%)]