www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 1st, 2011, 14:47   #61
jaydhall
Veteran Member

I replaced my LCA in the front. Do you know what else is replaceable in the front end of a Jetta, 1999.5 besides the ball joints? I do not have any idea and have a front end person who will not align it until I replace the 'tie rods'.

Any help appreciated!
Old April 1st, 2011, 15:24   #62
tuscTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41 mixed/30 city

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTDI Guy View Post
I'm right in the middle of this job and... one thing I might add is make sure you buy new control arm to ball joint bolts and nutplates. Mine were completely buggered and NOBODY has them in stock locally. Well, one place but it's around 25 miles away and I've got no time to go there. The 13mm and 18mm flanged bolts are one time use only and the 13mm are pretty subject to damage, either by a previous bushing replacement or even alignment(s). Play it safe and buy the bolts and nutplates. Kind of a DOH! thing but thought I'd bring it up to save some potential grief.
If you get the Meyle and a few other brands they come with the plates and bolts. Thats what I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydhall View Post
I replaced my LCA in the front. Do you know what else is replaceable in the front end of a Jetta, 1999.5 besides the ball joints? I do not have any idea and have a front end person who will not align it until I replace the 'tie rods'.

Any help appreciated!
You can replace the tie-rod ends and sway bar bushings. here's a basic list of the commonly replaced:
OEM control arm bushings
Control Arm Hardware
Outer Tie Rod Ends
Lower Balljoints (with hardware)
Upper Strut Mounts
Upper Strut Bearing
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:16   #63
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

Just to be clear, I was upgrading to some new Eibach Pro-Kit VR6 springs and replaced both front/rear control arm bushings and sway bar bushings while I was in there. Had I done the ball joints, those DO come with the bolts and nutplates.

In retrospect, I could/should have done the ball joints as well. Dependant on my likes/dislikes of the new springs, I may be back into it regardless and I may do the ball joints as well.

For those just doing LCA bushings, consider getting new nutplates. There's nothing more annoying than getting stopped on a job over $10 worth of parts. BTW, I did get them replaced after a good buddy did the legwork and picked them up at the only place that had them in a 30 mile radius. Thanks m.

'01 Jetta GLS, 5 sp, Black on Black, Leather, Sun Roof, MFSW, Monsoon, Cold Weather Pkg., Full LED interior, always a work in progress
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 14:50   #64
mstar926

Fuel Economy: 47 mpg

I am getting ready to do my bearings, and when I looked at the control arms I realized that the control arm bushings are going, if not gone.

I was planning on removing the entire wheel bearing housing anyways and having a shop just press the new bearings in for me.

I figure that since I was planning on doing the bearings that now would be the time to do the control arm bushings too. Any pointers or things I need to lookout for in this project ?
mstar926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 06:07   #65
simbolo
Veteran Member

if you plan on doing the front bushings on the control arm also make sure you have a good press because those are a lot harder to press in there than the rears, or get the ones that come in 2 pieces.

simbolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 21:30   #66
TomJD
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 worst - 49 avg - 59 best

I just finished this project about 10 minutes ago. I installed the TT bushings on the lower control arms. The old bushings were a pain to get out. I had one heck of a time getting the new ones in. I finally gave up and had my friend drive me to a local shop where I had him install them with a press. Even he said they were more difficult. Then once they were all in, installation of the LCA on the driver's side was easy taking only 20 minutes. The passenger's side took literally 2 and a half hours. This is a great project for one to do by themselves but without a press I found it near impossible.

Also, the TT bushings are incredible. I wish I had a picture of my old bushings because they were so terrible but the saw and hammer destroyed them during removal. I ordered my bushings from Metalmanparts.com and the TTs were not that much more expensive. Not sure how to tell if they are TT or not but I trust they are.

GREAT WRITE UP WINGNUT!

Last edited by TomJD; June 29th, 2011 at 21:33. Reason: additional comments
TomJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 21:20   #67
Louis_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJD View Post
Not sure how to tell if they are TT or not but I trust they are.

GREAT WRITE UP WINGNUT!
TT bushings are full stock mk4 have c shaped slots in them
Old July 24th, 2011, 13:08   #68
GuyGuy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.5L/100K

hhhhmmmm anybody have a part # for those TT bushings?
Old July 24th, 2011, 19:15   #69
boertje
Veteran Member

Look on boraparts.com under suspension. He lists them there. Just ordered 2 sets for myself.
Auto to 5/6 spd manual swap with wiring instructions for MKIV. Click here.
boertje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 05:44   #70
poor1
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4
Fuel Economy: 56mpg (UK gallons)

Its not worth the trouble of pressing out the bushes. New after market control arms come complete with new bushes and are pretty cheap top buy.
poor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:32   #71
Chemboy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor1 View Post
Its not worth the trouble of pressing out the bushes. New after market control arms come complete with new bushes and are pretty cheap top buy.

Can't buy control arms with TT bushings pre-installed.

Last edited by Chemboy; July 25th, 2011 at 16:16.
Chemboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 16:44   #72
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km

I was going to say the same thing. But what about R32 lower control arms. Could they have the solid bushings in them perhaps???

Old Ride (2000 Black Sedan): Gone

New Ride: (2003 Silver Wagon): Malone Tuned, T4 injectors, 11mm pump, 2.5" Magnaflow cat back, PD150 intake, OMI, Wingnut SS, ERF 6 speed, Bilstein TC Sport susp. w/GTI springs, Neuspeed RSB, Santa Monica's, Autometer Cobalt Boost & EGT, MFA Sport cluster, GLI Leather seats, SS vacuum lines, AVIC Z3 Nav and I still get 4.5L/100km (I got 3.9L/100k on a tank once)
Some handy 'How to's'
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 21:44   #73
Chemboy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
I was going to say the same thing. But what about R32 lower control arms. Could they have the solid bushings in them perhaps???
While it appears they have solid bushings, the control arms are a different design - no attachment for the sway bar.
Chemboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 02:30   #74
DirtyAceDeluxe

Hello - I'm new here to the TDIClub Forums and I'm also not too familiar w/mechanics aside from changing oil/tires. Luckily I have some friends who can help me do what I need to get done, but I can use some advice before I decide if this is something I want to try and tackle myself.

A little back story - I have a '99 New Beetle and just broke 100K on the milage. The dealer is trying to nickle and dime me on maintenance and I've decided to try and do some things myself, so it's a good learning experience for me. I already replaced the skid plate myself w/the panzer plates thanks to this site so it's already been a great help. Thanks!

What I need replace on my car right now are the lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends. The dealer said this and I can hear clunking in my front end while driving. I haven't looked at the condition of the lower control arms (bushings and such) but I figured it might be easier just to replace them with the new ball joints all at once.

I guess that's my question. Would it be easier for a newbie like myself to just by a new LCA for the ball joints rather than trying to attach them onto the old ones? To replace everything (2 LCAs, ball joints and tie rod ends) I'm estimating $200 before an alignment which is pretty good considering the dealer would probably charge me $1K or more. I'm also basing this all off of using Meyle parts and I'm curious if you can tell me if that is a good brand.
DirtyAceDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:14   #75
PeterV
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

Buy the parts from a TDIclub vendor. They support this site and keep all those pop up ads away. Meyle is a good brand a suggestion is Lemfroder (bushings) which I got from IDparts.

I hope your intent is to never go back to the dealer and find a local guru to help you.
PeterV is offline   Reply With Quote