www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old September 26th, 2006, 05:07   #1
philliprobert

Default tdi power loss

2002 130bhp passat that is overnight lost loads of power. No pull in low revs, bit better once you get about 2500/2800 revs. I have seen several recommendations on cleaning the maf (air flow meter?) and the egr.
Any writeups here on where exactly it is on this model? Pic anywhere on the net? I have seen all the info on how to actually clean it, but not where it is! Mate has my haynes manual, and i believe he is away at the moment, so cant check.
thanks
philliprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 09:44   #2
philliprobert

Ok, unplugged the maf sensor, and drove car. behaved exactly the same. one dead maf?
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:33   #3
ChrisB__1

Is it similar to this?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=153357

Are you experiencing any bucking or big hiccup hesitation.
ChrisB__1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:29   #4
Dave Scott

Fuel Economy: ave about 6.9 L per 100 kms. Air conditioning on all the time (Thailand).

Quote:
Ok, unplugged the maf sensor, and drove car. behaved exactly the same. one dead maf?
Not necessarily. I did the same thing, got the same results as you, and finally traced it to the turbo actuator control valve (N75).
Dave Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 13:56   #5
philliprobert

simmilar enough, im the 2nd post on that thread too! have the maf ordered from local dealer, will swap that out, and check egr and a few other bits. I saw an faq for cleaning egr on an a4, simmilar to do the passat? sometimes, only in the last day, i have noticed a small hiccup/buck though.
Old September 29th, 2006, 16:51   #6
ChrisB__1

As Dave says, could be actuator that's stuck open, bypassing exhausts gases too much, giving you less power low-down but eventually picking up in the higher revs when exhaust gases would bypass anyway.
Old September 30th, 2006, 14:11   #7
philliprobert

ok replaced the maf....
Still the same..sniff...had a mechanice mate have a peek in and around the car, he could only say that its a boost problem. Would it be better to replace that n75 or bite the bullet and drop it into dealer?
Old September 30th, 2006, 15:03   #8
TurbineWhine
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56/50/39

I would try to get someone with a VagCom hook up to it and check the actual boost pressure that your seeing using the VagScope function. If you are down on or erractic in boost, it should show up. Check the VAG-Com List at the top of the homepage for someone close to you to call.

TW
TurbineWhine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 01:34   #9
philliprobert

I actually have one, what kinda levels should i be seeing at what kinda revs?
Old October 1st, 2006, 04:50   #10
Dave Scott

Fuel Economy: ave about 6.9 L per 100 kms. Air conditioning on all the time (Thailand).

philliprobert, see a description of how to check the N75.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/N75...lve_repair.pdf

There are some basic checks that can be done without any expense, or fancy tools.

Could have saved you the cost of an MAF sensor?
Dave Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 13:34   #11
ChrisB__1

Phil - check for pipes that have disconnected mate, follow pipes from turbos to inlet including around the intercooler behind the left (nearside UK) wheel arch liner.

Is this the part?
http://www.geocities.com/tech4tdi/pages/maf.html

There are suggestions there that it could be anti-shudder valve causing low MAF readings - anyone know if would be enough to cause the prob?

Last edited by ChrisB__1; October 1st, 2006 at 13:53.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 21:17   #12
TurbineWhine
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56/50/39

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliprobert
I actually have one, what kinda levels should i be seeing at what kinda revs?
Not sure for your model but at full throttle, mine is about 19PSI once you do the conversion to PSI. The boost spikes when you nail the throttle are about 21 PSI and then it settles down to 19 PSI full throttle. I would guess that your model and engine would be about the same. It you are getting full throttle numbers below about 16 PSI, then I would start looking for turbo hose air leaks.

TW
TurbineWhine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:23   #13
philliprobert

ive it booked into local vw garage on friday. As well as the power problems, ill see if they can sort my external temp sense too. also a question, when you start the car, on the instrument panel, what lights should light up? The engine whatever one doesnt light up on mine at all, so i have a sneaky suspicion previous owner removed bulb?
Old October 6th, 2006, 05:59   #14
philliprobert

Well car is in the local dealer now. Dropped it into a place that only recently got vw accredited, with a shiny new vw service sign on the road.

Told him i have huge power loss, suspect a boost problem, and that i had already replaced the maf.
Also asked could they check the instrument panel as not all the lights light up that should, so thinking sneaky previous owner.
Finally asked them to check the temp display on both the climatronic and the dash (mfa? can never remember its name) as both just have -.--.

Place your bets, roll up roll up! how much will they charge!
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:35   #15
philliprobert

Ok, picked up the car. Good news is they found out whats wrong, bad news is their computer was down and wouldnt be able to tell me how much it would cost to fix till monday.
Apparently i need a new throttle housing... Is my throttle currently homeless? i dont know. Searching forums at the moment.
Anyone had one replaced? They said they tried to reprogam it but it didnt work.
On the plus side, there was nothing wrong with the instrument panel, and the temp not displaying was just a loose wire. All i was charged was an hours labour for the whole lot today!
Think i found my new dealer....