www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 10th, 2006, 12:10   #1
Moo Car
Veteran Member

Default Cruise/Turn signal/Headlight dimmer switch replacemet

2000 Jetta

I was having trouble with cruise control last week. Every time I would use my turn signal or headlight dimmer my cruise control would shut off. Found the answer to my problem thanks to members Wingnut and Trouble.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=88148

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=46426

Trouble posted:

1. Disconnect the Battery. Airbags are not fun to play with while they are "live"..
2. Insert a flat blade short (less than 6" ) screwdriver into the slots located on the back of the steering wheel ( ~ 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, you'll have to do one side, turn the wheel and then the other). Pry from the outside to the inside to release the airbag clips. Remove the airbag.
3. Use a 12mm triple square internal socket to remove the steering wheel. Important: Mark where the wheel is centered.
4. Undo screws on the lower and upper covers. Move out of way. (4 small Phillips and one Torx)
5. Remove clips on centering ring. Remove.
6. Loosen bolt behind switch cluster (5mm Allen, on top). Remove connector (4), and remove switch assembly.

Now the tricky part. Look the switch assembly over, it's in 2 halves and a bear to get apart.. Until you undo the center clip ( ~ 3 o'clock) and it slides right apart. DO NOT PRY ON THE EARS UNDERNEATH THE SWITCHES.... don't do it.. Trust me..

Installation is reverse of dis-assembly. Make sure the centering clip rotates freely, mine clicked while turning after re-installing it. Had to remove it a and re-install it again.

So since I had my camera I though I would post this:

1. Disconnect Battery

2. Insert screwdriver in opening in back of wheel (See instructions above). This is the hardest part of the job. I didn't need to put the screwdriver in all the way. Lift the screwdriver handle up.

3. Remove airbag

4. Remove center wheel bolt (I used a 3/8" Hex)

5. Make sure you mark the shaft and wheel so you know where to put it back on.

Last edited by Moo Car; September 10th, 2006 at 13:07.
Moo Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:32   #2
Moo Car
Veteran Member

6. Remove wheel.

7. Remove screws to slide back plastic covers.

8. Unclip and remove the center circle thing? (three clips and wire connector plug)

Last edited by Moo Car; September 10th, 2006 at 12:50.
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:41   #3
Moo Car
Veteran Member

9. Loosen the clamp that holds the cruise switch.

10. Unclip the two cables that go to the switch.

11. Undo the clip that keeps the cruise switch and window wiper switch together.

12. Slide the wiper switch out of the way.

13. Slip off the cruise switch.

14. Install new switch.

About 1.5 hours or less to do the job. IMPEX Part # 6792 $50.00

Last edited by Moo Car; September 10th, 2006 at 13:15.
Old September 12th, 2006, 07:43   #4
astonishedboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg

Very nice job, moo car. I used this for some reference when adding a MF steering wheel, and new cruise stalk. THanks
Old February 19th, 2011, 18:55   #5
gstone

Fuel Economy: wagon gets 38-44 w/ ladder rack and ladder on the roof

Thanks moo car.I just fixed my "no low beam" problem on my 03 wagon.took less than an hour.I left the switch on the column.A little tricky unclipping the switchcover with a pick.I cleaned and greased the contacts.Works good again.
gstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 21:45   #6
audiA3TD

Default Stalk removal - Polo 9N

Hi Guys - thanks for the posts & the write up.

I did a switch replacement on my daughters 2006 9N polo yesterday - a couple of notes which might help....

In getting the airbag off - it helps to push it in a little whilst releasing the clip with the screw driver.

Tip 2 - the polo had a single combined blinker and wiper switch that slid over the steering column - the electrical connector to that is a large L shaped connector with upteen wires. This is held in under tension by a white plastic slide that runs in the plane from the floor to roof - grab the end and slide it up - as you do so it releases the connector - very clever - but hard to fathom!!

Thanks for all the great posts!

Cheers,
Paul
1995 Toyota Landcruiser 4.2L TD
All on BD!! Brisbane Australia
audiA3TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 19:51   #7
snakeye
Veteran Member

If there's a break in the connection in the stalk, it's easily fixable using a tiny brush and the conductive compound from a rear defroster repair kit, as long as you can find the break.
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:03   #8
daman

TDI(s): Jetta wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
If there's a break in the connection in the stalk, it's easily fixable using a tiny brush and the conductive compound from a rear defroster repair kit, as long as you can find the break.
Yeah thats the main problem is finding the Land Insurance, because i've tried to find a break but had real problems and of course without that i cant fix it

Last edited by daman; January 10th, 2012 at 02:34.
daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 13:56   #9
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Thanks for that how to OP, I'll be needing that info in the very near future, bookmarked

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:09   #10
cantstopfishing

TDI(s): Wannabe

Hello Moo Car. First I want to thank you very much for posting such a good tutorial about how to replace the cruise stalk. I would not have attempted this repair if not for this post. My question is how did you get the clicking noise from the centering ring to stop. I frustratingly removed the airbag and steering wheel several times to make sure the centering ring was reinstalled properly, but still have the slight clicking when I crank the wheel either way. It is not horrible, but it makes me crazy that I can't figure out why it is doing this.

Thanks again.

Cantstopfishing
cantstopfishing is offline   Reply With Quote