www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old September 1st, 2006, 09:14   #1
Kerri

Default How much further will an engine with 150K miles go?

I'm looking to buy a TDI (in the Austin area, if any one has one to sell). I've looked at several with over 100 thousand miles on them.

How many miles can I expect to get out of a TDI engine?

How about when running on bio?

What sort of mechnical issues should I start to expect with higer mileage?
Kerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:24   #2
gardentender
RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten

Fuel Economy: 53+/46/41

depends on how well the engine was taken care of in the first 150K. regular oil changes with a good quality oil, regular timing belt changes, other maintenance, all documented? if so, you can count on another 150K or more. if not, your mileage may vary proportionally.

good maintenance ain't cheap, but expensive maintenance at a dealer is not always the best, either. spend some more time in here, noodle around and learn. don't expect to get a good car for cheap.

i lurked in here for several months before i bought my 2000 Jetta TDi, and it has over 211K miles on it now. never had a failure of anything in the drive train (engine, clutch, transmission) that affected reliablilty. i did have the plastic drain on the bottom of the fuel filter crack and prevent me from starting one morning. was fixed with a replacement filter in about 3 hours. this was around 30K miles or so, since then i've changed my own fuel filters in addition to oil, oil filters, engine and cabin air filters. Have used BioDiesel in varied mixtures for about 100K miles now without a problem. If used conservatively, I think BD keeps an engine running well considering the fuel's lubricating and detergent/cleansing nature.
little nicky nacky things might occur, such as broken glove box hinges, but how often do you use the glove box??
don't be in a hurry, do your research and you'll find a good car, maybe not in Austin, maybe further away.

Last edited by gardentender; September 1st, 2006 at 09:31.
gardentender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:03   #3
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

1,350,000 miles till VW thinks it will need an overhaul PROVIDED you follow the maintenance guidelines in the ownersmanual, no joke.

DB
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:03   #4
ScorpionBoy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivbiwire
1,350,000 miles till VW thinks it will need an overhaul PROVIDED you follow the maintenance guidelines in the ownersmanual, no joke.

DB

that is frickin' amazing. would that be just a top end overhaul or do you need to replace the crank too? what an awesome number.
Panzer Plate
Vented
ScorpionBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:51   #5
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

If you turn around now and head back, you should get back to the start with no problems and ready for another go around.
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:45   #6
MikeS_18
Veteran Member

I agree with the Gardentender. I lurked here for about 6 months and then started shopping. It took another 5 months to get my car which has 73,000 on it. Knew what I was doing and thus had no hesitation at all.

Read about timing belts, coolant migration, turbo failures, injection pumps. Those seem to be the big ticket items (more than $600 installed) but those that frequent the dealers get to spend hundreds/thousands on things that the people in the forum would drive an hour to your house to help you do yourself. Example - friend with a jetta gasser had the car at the dealer today for an oil change. "Maam, your emergency brake cable is sticking and needs to be replaced." $240 quoted. It's a $30 part and an hour or two under the car if you have no clue what you are doing. No thank you Mr Dealer.

So, read read read, and ask lots of questions and use the support of this forum to ensure that you get the value out of the car and it will go as long a you want it to. I know I will get bored of it before it dies.
MikeS_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 13:31   #7
v_lombardi

Fuel Economy: 44-48 mpg

i got my car in dec 2005 with 133,000mis. it was well maintained and they provided all the records. the only thing i have done is oil changes, wiper blades and put in 4 new engine glow plugs last night.

vince
Old September 1st, 2006, 13:55   #8
gardentender
RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten

Fuel Economy: 53+/46/41

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_lombardi
put in 4 new engine glow plugs last night.

vince

and you probably didn't even have to do that. most of the time glow plugs just get dirty and need cleaning. but, sometimes it is simpler and more reassuring to remove and replace.
Old September 1st, 2006, 13:56   #9
TXBilll

Default A Better Car

If anyone is interested there is a 2002 or 2003 NB TDI with 45,000 miles for sale at Momentum VW of Jersey Village (NW Houston). I think they'll take about 15K for it, silver, loaded leather/sunroof 5 speed, etc.
TXBilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 14:25   #10
TDIfor
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: TotalCar 70.5K mile avg: 49.5 MPG

Quote:

DB
DBW - do you know on what that figure is based? The 10,000 hours of use has been tossed around, based on what.. the marine iteration of the engine? But I figure that would amount to 300,00 - 400,000 miles, assuming an average speed of 30 MPH (ranging from 5 MPH pulling out of the driveway to 65 MPH on the hiway).

Don
TDIfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 14:53   #11
n1das
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri
I'm looking to buy a TDI (in the Austin area, if any one has one to sell). I've looked at several with over 100 thousand miles on them.

How many miles can I expect to get out of a TDI engine?
It's still way too early for me to tell as I'm "only" at 227k miles on my 2002 Golf TDI.

Last edited by n1das; September 1st, 2006 at 14:58.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 15:16   #12
ScorpionBoy
Veteran Member

i didn't do a search to see if there is a thread, but anyone know who holds the high mileage record aroudn here?
Panzer Plate
Vented
ScorpionBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 15:28   #13
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIfor
DBW - do you know on what that figure is based? The 10,000 hours of use has been tossed around, based on what.. the marine iteration of the engine? But I figure that would amount to 300,00 - 400,000 miles, assuming an average speed of 30 MPH (ranging from 5 MPH pulling out of the driveway to 65 MPH on the hiway).

Don
The design life is actually 25,000 hours. Typical average speed of a road going vehicle is 45mph. city only vehicles fall around 40 mph.

My car is coming up on 5,000 hours of engine time (measured by Hobbs meter since new). I now have 220,000 miles and all cylinders were still pulling 550psi (new is 475 on an unbroken in crate motor) on all 4 at 200,000 miles.

I have repeat customers with over 400,000 miles still pulling 550 psi... I laugh when people say they expect 300,000 miles out of these cars.

DB
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 16:21   #14
hkbladelawhk
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 32, last time I checked

Quote:

DB
yea, world record was a 1988 Volvo P1800S with 2 MILLION miles + and its still going...no overhaul...

Check Guiness World Records
hkbladelawhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 11:36   #15
Kerri

Default No maintanence recods on 77K mi - how wary should I be?

All good info, thanks everyone.

I'm looking at a 2002 Jetta w/ 77K mi that is just about what I want - but it was a trade in and the dealership doesn't have the maintenance records. How wary of this should I be?
Kerri is offline   Reply With Quote