www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 27th, 2006, 07:57   #1
wesintl

TDI(s): 02 jetta tdi
Fuel Economy: 45-55
Default Glow Plug Light Blinking

As noted above. 02 jetta tdi, 62k. I hooked up my obd 2 to read the codes and nothing comes back. It tells me it's clean.

Has anyone run into this before? Thanks!

Sorry, feel free to move this to OBD. I haven't been on this board in some time and it's grown alot.

Last edited by wesintl; August 27th, 2006 at 08:01.
wesintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 08:24   #2
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Welcome back...

A flashing glow plug light can be attributed to several conditions, most likely a burned out brake light or two and a defective brake light switch. (There are recalls for those switches, depending on the model year, but it can't hurt to check it and replace - definitely a do-it-yourself project, as the dealers have been known to mess this up... there are instructions here on the board...)

If you don't have a Check Engine Light, then the other possible causes of the blinking light can be dismissed - for now... BTW, most OBD tools aren't sophisticated enough to deal with this... you need a Vag-Com or the VW equivalent...

All the best,

Yuri.

Last edited by ymz; August 27th, 2006 at 21:53.
ymz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 09:37   #3
wesintl

THanks Yuri,

I have a innova 3110
http://www.levineautoparts.com/innova3110.html

I was under the impression that it could read under iso 9141. Maybe that's not the case. The check engine light appears to be normal so maybe that is the case.

Thanks for the reminder on the brake light. The drivers side tail light has been a nucense from the beginning.
Old August 27th, 2006, 09:57   #4
wesintl

Thumbs up

Preliminary results show the driver rear taillight out again. Actually it's the F-in connection at the bulb. It's always been a POS product I've tried to make sure the bulb stays tight but it's a constant issue.

This connection has caused the bulb to go out before but the glow plug light never came on and blinked before. So this was a new one and happily an easy fix, but like I said before a constant nagging one.
Old August 27th, 2006, 21:56   #5
ymz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl
Sheesh... that's almost the price of a genuine Ross-Tech Vag-Com !!! I'm not sure if the Innova can get into the more sophisticated levels that Vag-Com accesses... things like Basic Settings and the Airbag modules, ferinstance...

Yuri.
Old August 28th, 2006, 07:49   #6
wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymz
Sheesh... that's almost the price of a genuine Ross-Tech Vag-Com !!! I'm not sure if the Innova can get into the more sophisticated levels that Vag-Com accesses... things like Basic Settings and the Airbag modules, ferinstance...
It was only $40 from a friend that moved to a real time scanner. It was mainly used for Toyota 80 series land cruisers. While that price is high I think they generally run $120-130 from most part stores

That was the quickest link i found when posting
Old September 9th, 2006, 16:34   #7
Peter2003Jetta

Default owners manual

Why isn't this in the owner's manual? I think I looked on every page for what a blinking glow plug light means! I was a little afraid that it might be serious. Oh well. 2 new brake lights appear to have fixed the problem.
Peter2003Jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 17:55   #8
ymz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter2003Jetta
Why isn't this in the owner's manual?
Who needs an owner's manual when you have the TDI-Club ???

Glad you found the inexpensive solution !!

Yuri.
Old September 11th, 2006, 16:11   #9
tjl
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55/52/47 (mpg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl
Preliminary results show the driver rear taillight out again. Actually it's the F-in connection at the bulb. It's always been a POS product I've tried to make sure the bulb stays tight but it's a constant issue.
You may want to verify that the bulb is of the correct type. Sometimes, there could be more than one type of bulb look similar, and the wrong bulb sort of fits but does not work reliably.
tjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 05:53   #10
rgardner

What if the glow plug light just blinks intermittently?
rgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 22:27   #11
ludikris
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta mkiv

mine blinks all of a sudden too... I just removed a trailer harness because I was trying to hunt down my right turn signal short... it keeps blowing fuses... as does the hazard...
issue #2 is that I have led tail light bulbs and I've seen a few of the cluster go out but come back on...I dunno what gives...

I also need to get the brake light switch replaced too as per the recent vw letter I got.....
Toronto old ride: 2000 black tdi 330 km/customized vnt-15 turbo/RC-3+/sprint 520's/stealthcat/boost valve/custom boser /short shifter/a-pillar boost/egt/oil p. gauges/srp/18"motegi dpk's / monte's for winter/ bilstein's/eibach springs/hella smoked/tails/35% tint/Helix angel eye ccfl's/Rieger skirts/euroswitch/kamei grill
ludikris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 12:53   #12
ssjimbo

TDI(s): 99.5 Jetta

I have this same problem. Usually it will be preceded by the cruise control not working. The brake lights work fine. I just replaced the brake light switch for the second time, the first time was the recall. It was only a week later that the glow plug light was flashing again. It flashed for 15 miles or so until we stopped for fuel. After that it was fine. It came and went for the rest of the weekend trip. Now that we're back, it hasn't happened again, but we're just driving around town.

Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardner
What if the glow plug light just blinks intermittently?
ssjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 17:58   #13
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter2003Jetta
Why isn't this in the owner's manual? I think I looked on every page for what a blinking glow plug light means! I was a little afraid that it might be serious. Oh well. 2 new brake lights appear to have fixed the problem.
It's in my '01 manual, but it's not described under the glow plug lamp but the ECM (or whatever it is) lamp for the gassers.

The game of Bridge is like Sex: You need either a good partner or a good hand.

You're either part of the solution or you're part of the precipitate.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 18:00   #14
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludikris
mine blinks all of a sudden too... I just removed a trailer harness because I was trying to hunt down my right turn signal short... it keeps blowing fuses... as does the hazard...
If you didn't use a convertor box then you run the risk of frying the computer. You can usually find these at trailer or camping stores.

The game of Bridge is like Sex: You need either a good partner or a good hand.

You're either part of the solution or you're part of the precipitate.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 15:42   #15
ludikris
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta mkiv

I did have a converter box..... I still dont know what the issue but I can't use my right signal or hazards without blowing the fuse.... and the hazard buzzes when I press it so, there must be a short.... as well... the alarm no longer flashes any lights upon arming or disarming anymore...even during the short periods that both signals were working....

I"m lost... I dunno what do do.

btw... my glow plug light stopped flashing as soon as I replaced the aftermarket led bulbs with oem ones....
Toronto old ride: 2000 black tdi 330 km/customized vnt-15 turbo/RC-3+/sprint 520's/stealthcat/boost valve/custom boser /short shifter/a-pillar boost/egt/oil p. gauges/srp/18"motegi dpk's / monte's for winter/ bilstein's/eibach springs/hella smoked/tails/35% tint/Helix angel eye ccfl's/Rieger skirts/euroswitch/kamei grill
ludikris is offline   Reply With Quote