Valvoline Synpower 5w40

vwAuburn

TDI
Jetta TDI 2005.5
Ok. Called Express Oil change and asked if they had SynPower 5w40. They did. Asked him to read on back and tell me what it was compliant with. He read out 505.01 oil.

I can buy this for 7 per quart (little cheaper by the case). I assume that's a decent deal.

Without asking for my make and model, he told me that they do a lot of tdi's using this oil. I told him I had a jetta and asked about the filters. They carry the correct filter for my car as well (which is the small with with a stem).

His price for an oil change was $59.

Is this oil compliant ?

mparker326

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2002 Gray
DD: Is that a recent picture?

vwAuburn: Why don't you go by and see for yourself? If it is on there and you are comfortable with the price, ask for an empty bottle and take a picture to post here.

Sounds like we are getting some more local choices.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
mparker326 said:
DD: Is that a recent picture?
No, it's got to be at least 1 year old.

I realize that (all of a sudden) Valvoline claims to now have a series of 505.01 compliant oils. I find this very curious.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
dieseldorf said:
I realize that (all of a sudden) Valvoline claims to now have a series of 505.01 compliant oils. I find this very curious.
__. Yeah but the biggest question that would be in my mind if I had a PD (which, thank goodness, I don't) would be "does VW claim that the Valvoline oils are 505.01?"
'

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Weirdly, Valvoline's web site claims (probably in error) that Synpower 20W-50 but not 5W-40 meets VW 505.01:

http://www.valvoline.com/products/Synpower.pdf

Interestingly enough, Synpower 5W-40 (but not most other Synpower grades) has an MSDS that does not list its base stock:

http://msds.ashland.com/ShowMSDS.asp?M=0338135&C=005&D=505&L=EN&F=ANSI&N=SYNPOWER+5W40+6/1+QT

The only other oils that I have seen not listing its base stock in the MSDS are group IV/V based oils like Mobil 1 -- other synthetic oils list base stocks that show that they are group III based.

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
New Labels for Valvoline 5W-40 - 505.01

I also saw the new 5W-40 at local auto parts stores (Shuck's Seattle/Spokane WA) - I would have taken a picture, but my digital camera is broken. The new label states 505.01

I emailed Valvoline and they told me they would update the web site in about 2-3 weeks (this was last week).

Anyway - I don't know how to get the list of 505.01 certified oils from VW/Audi, and how often that list is updated. Hopefully someone else can help out in that area.

Spokane Walt

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
5w-40 New Stuff

OK, loaned a camera and this is the best I could do...

New valvoline SynPower 5W-40 from the back of the qt;

Spokane Walt:)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
LNXGUY said:
I see "Meets performance of"

No mention of the word certify...

Could this be another Amsoil like debate? :)
I think so.

motorin

TDI
2006 Shadow Blue Jetta PK.1 5 speed Beige Leatherette
Does any one have any experience with this oil. I called Valvoline today to confirm that Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 is indeed VW 505.01 certified and the gentleman that I spoke with stated that it was indeed. I also inquired as to its base stock as I would prefer not to use a group III hydro cracked synthetic or blend thereof. He said it was fully synthetic, and when I replied about that being a term of art he mentioned that it being BMW LL-04 certified should tell me something about its base stock. Does this mean anything to anyone? Is BMW requiring that its LL-04 oils be formulated from non petroleum base stocks?

tntdifan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
motorin said:
Does any one have any experience with this oil. I called Valvoline today to confirm that Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 is indeed VW 505.01 certified and the gentleman that I spoke with stated that it was indeed.
Did he actually use the word "certified"?

Can we get a copy of the certification acceptance letter from VWAG to post on the Internet?

It would be nice if Valvoline could come up with one story and stick to it. First Synpower 20W50 is 505.01, then Maxlife full synthetic 5W-30 and "Synpower MST 5W-30" are 505.01, now Synpower 5W-40 is 505.01. This is all within the last month or two!

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Here is a reply from Valvoline - keep in mind the English is debatable - I asked them if it was approved and got this response - no better than amsoil - except we all know that Valvoline does have a VW approved oil. So maybe they know that package neccessary to meet the spec.

To Whom It May Concern
I and many others are in need of a pure synthetic oil that has VW 505.01 approval or better. VW has made it clear that not using a approved oil is areason to void warrenties related to oil failure. Amsoil is the only oilmaker that has a 100% synthetic 505.01 oil but refuses to submit for VW approval. I know that Valvoline has submitted a oil for approval, "SynpowerXL III". You show your SYN 20W50 as 505.01 approved. This oil would be very suitable for me as I live below 30 degrees latitude. But we must be sure that your oil is approved. Many VW owners would love to use a 505.01 approved oil that is not imported from France. A VW forum member wrote you and said you agreed to send a copy approval letter. I encourage you to do this as it will be the only way many of us would use your product. We just can not afford to argue 10K motors with VW. I am approaching my first required change and would like to use your 20W50, for the life of the car.

"You can now use our Synpower 5W40 for the 505.01 specification."To: VWEBMAIL@Ashlandcc:Subject: Site feedback from Valvoline.comThe following person submitted a question or comment via the Contact usform of type Ask SynPowerFirst Name: William J

So now we have two grp 4 oils and neither is on the VW list. Seems to me that Valvoline would be be on the up&up though. Myabe it was VW themselves who stated there 505.01 must be the 5W40. VW has some reason they rec the 40. Sunrg seems very well informed and is running the 507 5W30 now. Its to bad these oils could not all be tested by a independent lab. By the time these UOA's start to make good data the PD will be 3 4 years out of production.

Last edited:

motorin

TDI
2006 Shadow Blue Jetta PK.1 5 speed Beige Leatherette
tntdifan said:
Did he actually use the word "certified"?

Can we get a copy of the certification acceptance letter from VWAG to post on the Internet?

It would be nice if Valvoline could come up with one story and stick to it. First Synpower 20W50 is 505.01, then Maxlife full synthetic 5W-30 and "Synpower MST 5W-30" are 505.01, now Synpower 5W-40 is 505.01. This is all within the last month or two!
Yes he did. I also inquired about Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w-30 and he said that it meets the formulation of a 505.01 but it is not labelled or certified as such.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
motorin said:
Is BMW requiring that its LL-04 oils be formulated from non petroleum base stocks?
It would typically be indicative of a Group IV/V oil since it's classifed as "extended drain".

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A letter of compliance would have been issued each time an oil is certified (against 505.01) by VAG - this is not a grey area and the other oil mfrs have such letters. Valvoline should have no hesitation displaying this info.