www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Other VW Group TD(I)s

Other VW Group TD(I)s To keep with the theme of VW Diesels, this message area is for discussion of other VW Group Diesels. Yes, TD's are also welcome.

Old August 12th, 2006, 15:29   #1
Trinity

Default Have an 82 VW diesel pu & 84 VW Jetta turbo diesel

The 82 doesn't have AC. The 84 does have AC
Considering moving turbo engine into the PU. Will be happy to hear your advice. Also any thoughts on the job of making the switch or other possibilities. Thanks
Old August 13th, 2006, 08:05   #2
ninedee_golf_tdi

Put the a/c into the pu also as it isnt that hard on an a1. Pull the dash, exchange both air handing units, change out the functions in the dash, replace the drier while your at it. Even if you never use the a/c, it's a good selling point down the road.
ninedee_golf_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:53   #3
PDJetta
Veteran Member

You'll have to modify the exhaust system on the Caddy for the TD motor (the exhaust is bigger on the TD). You may be able to use the down pipe and resonater from the TD and then get an exhaust shop to fabricate a piece from the resonator back, to either include, or not include a muffler.

I have no idea if the specifications for a gasoline engine or diesel engine muffler differ (because of the soot level in diesel exhaust).

You'll have to fabricate a different air intake too. Use the TD air box, if possible.

I also think the TD uses a two-speed radiator fan (I know the A/C TDs do).

The TDs have a tachometer that the NAs do not have. The RPM input is off of the "W" terminal on the alternator.

--Nate
Old August 13th, 2006, 15:28   #4
Trinity

Default Let me start with thanks

Thanks to both of you, ninedee and PDJetta

My intention is to put the two vehicles side by side and move everytin from one to the other. Ending up with a turbo diesel AC PU. Neither vehicle had a tachometer, boost gage or turbine inlet temp, the PU will. I didn't know where the tach signal came from - "W" terminal.

It is my intention to pull the front bumper, grill, radiator off each vehicle and pull the engine-transmission as one unit. Does that make sense?
Do you see any major problems in my path?

This project will follow the purchasing of a new/newer TDI Golf or Jetta. This will make it possible to take my time on the switch.

Thanks again to both of you.
Old August 13th, 2006, 16:31   #5
Beowulf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 59.9/50.3/35.7 (3.93/4.68/6.59)

Note that the alternator on your na diesel probably doesn't have a W terminal, so you may need to pull that off the Jetta TD, too, if you want to get a tachometer working in the stock fashion.

If you do a search, there's a guy that came up with a way of running a digital tach using a optical sensor and colored disc attached to the camshaft pulley (?).

Edit, this guy:
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/Cheap...er/index.shtml

Last edited by Beowulf; August 13th, 2006 at 16:34.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:31   #6
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Odd that the '84 Jetta TD does not have a tachometer. My '85 did, from the factory.

You may be in luck and able to use the alternator in the Caddy. See if it does have the "W" terminal. It has, well, a "W" right next to it on the back of the alternator, if its present. The "W" terminal provides an alternating current proportional to engine speed. It is also one of the inputs to the upshift light, if the car has one of those.

--Nate
Old August 15th, 2006, 16:26   #7
Beowulf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 59.9/50.3/35.7 (3.93/4.68/6.59)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDJetta
Odd that the '84 Jetta TD does not have a tachometer. My '85 did, from the factory.

You may be in luck and able to use the alternator in the Caddy. See if it does have the "W" terminal. It has, well, a "W" right next to it on the back of the alternator, if its present. The "W" terminal provides an alternating current proportional to engine speed. It is also one of the inputs to the upshift light, if the car has one of those.

--Nate
'85 Jettas were based on the A2 chassis whereas '84 Jettas were A1 chassis. Ii think that accounts for the difference wrt tachometers.
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:28   #8
superlambchops

TDI(s): 98 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDJetta
my parrents had a 91 TD Jetta with no tach
superlambchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 19:17   #9
Trinity

Beowolf
Very hard to see all of the rear of the alternator. Did see two letters - no W. I noted that the wire harness had a lone wire and plug not connected to anything, and yrt part of the wires grooup going to the alternator.
Old August 19th, 2006, 17:48   #10
PDJetta
Veteran Member

On my '85 Jetta TD the "W" wire to the alternator was thin and light blue color coded withg a female spade connector on its end.

--Nate