www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old August 4th, 2006, 08:27   #1
ALEX10

Default Is Schaffer Oil Better ?

I Have 2003 Tdi Jetta 60k On The Clock.changing The Oil Has Become A Challenge, On Which Oil To Use.what Is The Best Bang For The Buck? And What Is The Best For The Car? If I Went With Rotella, Is It Better To Go With Schaffer, Or Even Syntech? Also The Manual Says Change At 10k But Two Tell Me 5k. Help!!
ALEX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:00   #2
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

Alex- you've been here for about 5 days now and have started 4 threads, 3 of which are asking very basic questions that have been discussed ad nauseum and which will probably stir up unnecessary rehash. The point is that there are as many opinions as you can imagine on these subjects, and asking them again will only stir up the arguments all over again. Please, do us all a favor and use the search function that you are prompted to when you go to start a new thread. We'll all be better off for it. I suggest that before you start a new thread you spend the next week searching and reading about the subjects that interest you. At the end of that time, if you have a new question, pick the thread that is most relevant, and ask your question in the context of that thread. Whaddya say?
Why I can't recommend a tdi > MY 06 st this time
Why I recommend fuel additive.
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:06   #3
turkeyssr

Fuel Economy: 44 avg.
Default '03? -> stick with Rotella

I would stick with Rotella T because it's readily available at Wally World and is more than adequate to deal with diesel engines. As for changing at 10k, well, I change my oil at 5k because it's not *that* expensive and personally I feel 10k is just too long. Also, Wally World (at least in my area), now carries the TDI FRAM oil filters, much to my surprise. I prefer to order them from Impex because they're cheaper, though.

I'm trying to find solid evidence as to why the PD 505.1 oil is ANY different than any other Diesel oil. It's not that I don't believe VW, I would just like a definition. I'm just curious as mine is an '03, as yours is, so the PD type oil is of no pressing concern to me (yet).
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:25   #4
BKmetz
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG

To answer your question, there is no best oil. Pick a brand a stick with it. 10K oil changes work just fine, anything less and you are throwing your money away.

Thank you tditom.

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
BKmetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:38   #5
ALEX10

Tom Sorry That The Threads I Posted Over The Past Few Day's Seem Over Asked . I Have Read Everything A Could Find And Come Up Short. Just Trying To Find The Best Opinions To Make The Right Decision.i Wont Step On Our Toes If That What You Are Saying.also I Dont Find This Interesting Thank You.
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:43   #6
Fortuna Wolf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 mix

Alex, first, turn caps lock off,
second, use the search function. Search advanced, and turn on boolean.
2002 Jetta Sedan ALH-01M: 2 um Cat FF, Wingnut-3 CCV filter, polyurethane fuel lines, 5 brake light mod, Ventectomy, Polysiloxane vacuum tubing, Pioneer DEH-3800MP w/ KFC-1389ie, Panzer Plate, EGT+Boost+Oil Temp Gauges, Boost Valve, KERMA Line Pressure Mod, LED Lighting, HC-12a refrigerant, Optima 75/35 AGM, .187 nozzles, Hawk HPS pads.
Coming Soon: ESP retrofit, Custom Greasecar.

Wish List: Tow Bar, DSG or CVT transmission, or even a 5 speed manual. To hit 42+ mpg

Fortuna Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:55   #7
ALEX10

Thanks For The Help
Old August 4th, 2006, 13:15   #8
ALEX10

wolf that did not work what would you do?
Old August 4th, 2006, 17:29   #9
wny_pat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg

Better than what? Schaffers makes a very good product and there are guys running it in their TDIs. You can see some of the analysis of the used Schaffers oil ran in TDIs over at Bob is the Oil Guy. Check it out. I personally think there are better oils for our TDIs. Use the search function and then decide what is best for your situation. If you ask here what is best bang for the buck, you will get 10 different answers and only get more confused.

And just who is telling you to change your oil at 5k? I think everybody here is doing 10k OCIs. Those getting their oils analyzed are even going much higher.

Last edited by wny_pat; August 4th, 2006 at 17:33.
wny_pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 23:18   #10
LurkerMike
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: -Whitey: 38-40 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph / -Red 46 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph

I used to drink Schaffer's beer... it was cheap, tasted like water and if I had all day to chug down a cooler full of them, I might get a buzz...

I wonder if their oil is similar to their beer? I might have to try a quart sometime...

Currently the ELF CRV 0w30 506.01 oil is "the best" TDI oil going bar none... I like Amsoil products because I have been using them for years and when Amsoil gets a 506.01, I will try it... currently I have Amsoil European in my 2000 TDI and I have noticed no difference in it from the previous 100% dealer Castroil oil changes that came in it. I hope to pick up a couple of MPG when I try the Elf...

I think the real question is what oil is the second best and third best because the ELF CRV beats them all for only $13 per quart! ;~P
LurkerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:09   #11
wjdell
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: avg. 41.93 high 46.32 low 34.6

I was reading about that Schaffer and I think if you look the specs are conflicting - Andy H and a few others should check it out. They say this 9000 5W 40 can be used in anything - it has all specs except 506.01 and 507 - but all the rest. I was under the impression that conflicts in additive packages prevented this.

~ USED OIL ANALYSIS ~ http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=190958
~
1.9 PD Jetta V ~ pkg 1 ~
DSG ~ 17" VV ~ 36/34 psi ~
ULSD ~ DG-BP90 - speed 39.2
hwy/city 83% / 17% ~
elev 58 ft / temp 72 F / humidity 76% ~ MPG 48.3 / 42.8 / 35.6

Last edited by wjdell; August 5th, 2006 at 01:11.
wjdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 22:42   #12
DrewD
Veteran Member

Rotella is fine for 10,000 mile interval or 1 year, whichever comes first.
DrewD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 09:15   #13
LurkerMike
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: -Whitey: 38-40 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph / -Red 46 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph

What is the best color of paint for a Jetta?

Red? Looks good but might get more speeding tickets?

Black? Looks cool but hard to keep looking clean?

White? Cooler in summer?

Oil is no different of a subject to discuss... there are advantages and disadvantages to several different brands... I like to add a splash of TCP to my oil... Texaco used to put TCP in their premium fuel before the unleaded age...
LurkerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 10:00   #14
AndyH

Default Let's Look...

Maybe if we can get some info together on Schaeffer's 5W-40 we can show Alex how to evaluate the available products.

In general, Schaeffer makes synthetic blends and uses molybdenum as an extreme pressure additive. They may have gone to a 'synthetic' of some type in the 5W-40 (which could mean all Group III, or some other variation of GIII, IV and/or V).

This is one of the companies that uses the Timken Extreme Pressure test (designed for gear lube and EP grease) to market their products. The problem with this 'test' is that it's not designed for engine oil, engine oil in general doesn't use EP additives because engines don't need them. Both Schaeffer and Royal Purple reps crank on the machine until the metal is digging away and smoking. Impressive demonstration for a farm show, but useless for demonstrating real oil performance. If you ever come up on this test by an oil or additive vendor, bring out a little bottle of Head and Shoulders shampoo (smells better) or bleach or phosphoric acid (or some Coke). These will beat any oil on the market in this 'test'...

[For more info on the use of the Timken EP test, reference this article from Machinery Lubrication magazine, written by Mr. Ludwig, Chief Chemist/Tech Director of Schaeffer. From the article: "Any test results that are obtained by the use of this test method have been found not to correlate with results obtained during field service."] http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...?articleid=616

Who wants to post a link to the company's spec sheet for the 5W-40? The MSDS? Who wants to contact the company and ask whether the oil is a blend or synthetic (and whether it's Group III only, or contains other synthetic base oil)?

That should be a start. Then we can look at the specs and see if it looks ok or if there appear to be conflicts.

Andy
AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 17:15   #15
AndyH

http://www.schaefferoil.com/msds.html

Per their tech data: Supreme 9000 5W-40 is a Group III product with somewhere between 20 and 25% PAO.

This oil should be fine for a full 10,000 mile or 1 year oil change interval in a 2003 and earlier TDI. It appears to meet VW's requirement of a 'synthetic 5W-40'.

Normally the reps deal in 'quantity' orders - $200 or $250 minimum. You can find a list of retail stores from the locator on their website http://www.schaefferoil.com/dealer_locator.html. You can also find dealers at the 'Bob is the oil guy' website - since BITOG is a sales board until recently run by a Florida Schaeffer rep (Bob). Their datasheet says the smallest quantity available is a 6-gallon case (1 gallon bottles).

Andy
AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote