Wireless DigiPD- your review?

Karjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Ok, I have seen all the combat threads between chipping and tuning boxes. Don't want to go there. What I would like, is to hear from those of you that have installed the DieselPower DigiPD tuning Box. Let me know your thoughts, and if you installed anything else. Not interested in the pro version, just the wireless. I am posting this to determine, did you get the HP gains you thought you would? would you buy it again?
Thanks all.

Last edited:

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I had the wireless version on my car for about four months...I loved it! Only reason I don't have it anymore is because now I have the pro-box. The wireless box gave me a very noticeable increase in power, and not very much smoke. I drag race the 1/4 mile with the NHRDA and my car was running it in about 19 sec. when it was bone stock. With only the wireless box, my time for the 1/4 mile was about 17.3. So it alone dropped my time by close to 2 seconds. The turbo-lag is gone with the box, the car responds immediately to the throttle. If you try it, and don't like it, they will take it back without hassling you. There is a pretty loyal folllowing of customers, and the only people I see bashing it are people that have no experience with the DieselPower box. I highly recommend it, and have been totally impressed with both of the boxes I've had from DieselPower. You can't beat their customer service and support.:)

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
Karjar said:
Did you get the HP gains you thought you would?
It's always a good question with these aftermarket products. The answer always requires independent before and after mod dynos and not anecodotal stories or one's feelings.

Karjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Kabin said:
It's always a good question with these aftermarket products. The answer always requires independent before and after mod dynos and not anecodotal stories or one's feelings.
Does this mean you have one, and just did not have it tested before and after? If not are you saying that your feeling is not scientific, which I agree. Or do you not have one, and are just clarifying.
I did notice JettaGirl indicating a drop in time trials, so that is at least some form of statistical backup.

More of you out there? I know Papabear has the pro version, and his dynos seemed to not reflect a big difference. This is part of why I am sitting on the fence and looking for others opinion. Lacking statistical data, is one reason I asked if people would buy it again. At least indicates it meets their expectations and perceived value.

shaolin

Veteran Member
TDI
Soon to Come - 2006 Platinum Grey Jetta, DSG & Package 0
I never dyno mine. So according to Mr. Kabin, my review probably doesn't count.

I love mine and it is definitely more than 15 hp. When I first installed my box, I have my buddy following me with his VR6 (auto) and I am pulling away from him. He comment to me that my car seems to have more than 160 hp and I just smile.:) That is with C setting, I have it on "F" for last 3 months and it is a blast to drive.

Karjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
shaolin said:
I never dyno mine. So according to Mr. Kabin, my review probably doesn't count.

I love mine and it is definitely more than 15 hp. When I first installed my box, I have my buddy following me with his VR6 (auto) and I am pulling away from him. He comment to me that my car seems to have more than 160 hp and I just smile.:) That is with C setting, I have it on "F" for last 3 months and it is a blast to drive.
thanks Shaolin, Is yours the wireless or wired version?

ClutchKargo

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI
I currently have the wireless version and have been very pleased with the performance it has produced. The best way I can put it into perspective is to say my car has awakened out of hibernation. It is by no means a road rocket but it is about 150% more fun to drive. Much less turbo lag if any at all. DSG seeks the "proper" gear less. Much better throttle response. Not much smoke even at WOT. Satisfaction factor increase. I drive fairly hard so I'm only getting 36-38 mpg, I was getting 39-41 pre-box.

My previous car was a 2001 TDI with RC 3.1, OMI, PP520's, and a 12mm pump head. It would pull like there was no tomorrow and was a blast to drive. However, in the 90,000 miles of mods, I went through two clutches, this is probably the only gripe I could ever have about "playing" with my former TDI.

I am a district sales manager with a national food distributor and drive 500-700 miles a week and will probably have a TDI as long as I peddle green beans. I put over 150K on the 2001, the only thing I had to replace on the car besides the clutches and regular maintenance like timing belt replacement, was an AC compressor. A great track record IMHO.

For me the DigiPD box is a perfect solution. A great level in increase in torque and horse power for the ease of install. Preservation of my warranty, huge factor for me. The ability to adjust the level of perfomance you desire by popping the hood is another plus as well.

Moving from a highly modded Jetta to the stock 2006 was a shock at first, kind of scarry merging onto the interstate in the beginning. I at first hesitated ordering the box and wanted to stay stock for awhile just for general principle reasons. I weakened one day about 2 months ago and ordered it. Would I do it again? You bet and I would order it on the same day I purchased the car.

Cost might be a little strong but I guarantee you if it were a "Package 3" option offered by VW it would cost more than $600.

Oh yeah I almost forgot: Setting "F" :D

Karjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
ClutchKargo, thanks for that great review. Especially coming from a car that was chipped and modded, you have a point of reference. My previous Jetta was chipped, and I too am missing that "fun factor".
Thanks again.
Anyone else out there? I know there is more:)

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
digi rules

I have a digi (134 hp) installed on our 2004 pd jetta (5 speed auto). The best upgrade I have ever purchased for the car. No turbo lag, great shifts from the slush box, little smoke and JUST 2 WIRES.

Go for it!!

ps:the top speed of our car is yet to be found, we hit 165 km/hr (100 mph) a couple of weeks ago and the car was still pulling like crazy.:D

Karjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Thanks Bluesmoker. What setting are you able to run at?
Sounds like you are very happy with it.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
digi rules

Ours is set at "e", but really it is trial and error, the max is "f" and I think it is time to try that setting.

:cool:

In my opinion this is a worthy upgrade, think of this, if the engine blows up just unplug those 2 wires and take it to the stealership and say.

"i dont know what happened; it just made a funny noise"

TRY THAT WITH A ECU FLASH

LOL

Karjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
bluesmoker said:
Ours is set at "e", but really it is trial and error, the max is "f" and I think it is time to try that setting.

:cool:

In my opinion this is a worthy upgrade, think of this, if the engine blows up just unplug those 2 wires and take it to the stealership and say.

"i dont know what happened; it just made a funny noise"

TRY THAT WITH A ECU FLASH

LOL
I agree, since my car is under warranty I think this is the best route. I know people say that programs are undetectable by the dealer. All they have to do is drvie it, and they will know something has changed. My dealer knew immediatly in my last car with the upsolute. Heck even the car jockeys know when they move the car.

As far as finding the right setting or "sweet spot" do you just keeping going up until the car is going into limp mode or smoking too much, and then settle on the previous setting?

Karjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Bought the wireless version..

from JS Performance.
Will start there, and then think about boost controllers etc after my warranty is up.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Yes "c" is the factory setting. Just try going up one letter at a time. In a worse case senario the cel will light up, just turn the car off, turn it back a notch and restart.

enjoy

TDIEZL

TDI
Jetta GLS Wagon TDI 2005 Silver
Love the box have it set to E on a 2005 TDI 5speed auto, Had problems at first none of it due to the Digi-PD box as it was a ground on the ECU but support from Joe was great... You cant go wrong with it.

Have Fun and Enjoy

Karjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Thanks for the feedback.
I have gone ahead and ordered one, was hoping it would have made it by Friday, but guess it will be early next week before it arrives.
Hope all works well with no problems.

LA@JSPerformance.ca

Vendor , w/Business number
Karjar said:
Thanks for the feedback.
I have gone ahead and ordered one, was hoping it would have made it by Friday, but guess it will be early next week before it arrives.
Hope all works well with no problems.
Jeff,
Hope you enjoy the power box - sorry your delivery missed the weekend shipment.
Leigh-Anne

Karjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
LA@JSPerformance.ca said:
Jeff,
Hope you enjoy the power box - sorry your delivery missed the weekend shipment.
Leigh-Anne
Thanks Leigh-Anne. Will install later this week, and update this threqad with my initial thoughts.

SilverTDIGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI
I had the digi pd box on my 2004 golf, and it easily kept up with an RSX type S. My 2004 got written off, due to wildlife. Now I have a 2006 golf GLS TDI and I can't wait to get the box back in it. Jose at JSP and Joe with dieseltuning have been extremely supportive on getting me set up again, these people are outstanding!

Karjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
SilverTDI, I agree. Got my box installed tonight. Set at E, took it out, and after warmed up, started shifting at 3500, then 4000, then ran it up to red line in 3rd gear as suggested by Jose. No problems. Couldn't really tell about smoke due to darkness.
Must say I have never felt the turbo kick in like that before. Floored it in 3rd, it seems like the tires are having a hard time keeping traction. Not sure if that is torque or horsepower gains, or combination of both. No turbo lag, smooth linear power. Just what I was looking for. (Of course since it works so well at E their will always be this little gremlin on my shoulder wanting to try F.....but E is actually quite good for what I was looking for.)

Jose and Leigh-Anne of JS Performance give very personable customer service. DieselPower are certainly lucky to have a distributor like them. Wish I lived closer, would deal with them for all my car needs. I will certainly recommend them and the Diesel Power Tuning Box to anybody.

SilverTDIGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI
Glad to hear you enjoy the box!
You will notice a slight difference in smoke from the summer and winter months due to the air being more dense and cool in winter (which means less smoke).
Just play around with the settings and find which one suits you best. I always ran mine on "F" except for summer months I ran it on "D". :)

TDI4MNM

TDI
04 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI 5sp. Reflex Silver/Black Leather
Digi PD Wireless Tuning Module ( I am going to refer this as a Module so it is not confused with the old style bad name tunning boxes) was installed at the Westminster GTG on Saturday. We left it on the C setting. Lito and I took it for a short drive and agreed there was much improvement over stock. I have it on E today and what a difference it makes. I am setting it on F tomorrow and will post. I am glad there is and alternative to ECU chipping. I feel chipping is great for alot of people and they have great results which also give them more options to upgrade in the future. But this module is about as far as I will go for performance which has surprised me and other V6 and V8 drivers on the road. It is great to see there faces when you are pulling away from them while they are trying to keep up. This module gives you much improved performance, the flexabilty to change modes, and a quick uninstall. I will try it on the Passat as well.

I would like to thank Joe from Power Diesel for a fine product!

TDI4

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
dnstommy said:
what is the difference between Pro and Wireless? Besides more wires?
The pro-box is actually wired to the throttle. It is a bit more powerful than the wireless. I don't know if you can still get the wired pro-boxes, if you contact Joe Hafner, he could probably let you know. The wireless box is not as powerful as the wired, but is pretty close. I had the pleasure of using both and couldn't really feel the difference in everyday driving. Although, when the wired box was installed, my 1/4 mile times went down by about .7 second. I'm not sure on actual HP gains/differences between the two, I just am going by 1/4 mile times.:)

LA@JSPerformance.ca

Vendor , w/Business number
dnstommy said:
what is the difference between Pro and Wireless? Besides more wires?
As Jetta-Girl stated the Pro Box provides more power, this box produces approx. 164 Hp. This box requires a wire to be attached to the throttle, as a result the install is a little bit more complicated. This box also tends to produce more smoke, we have not be able to conclusively establish if this box effects feul economy as some of our customers reported poorer feul economy and others have stated no change in economy - so we have decided is must be related to peoples driving habits.
The wireless box provides less power, approx 134 HP. This box is very simple to install, and produces minimal smoke. 90% of our customers have reported no change to thier feul economy, some have actually stated that thier feul economy has improved.
Diesel Tuning is phasing out the Pro Box - we still have a few of these in stock - as the majority of consumsers preferrer the Wireless box.
Leigh-Anne

Last edited: