04 Tails on a 99.5

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Thanks to Jettafock, I was able to get a new set of 04 tail lights for a great price. I just put them on my car, and really like the look!

The instal wasn't hard at all. Access to the nuts holding the lights on is a bit of a pain, but not impossible.

Taking doggie's advice, I did a dual reverse lamp on the passenger side:

I still have to get amber bulbs for the turn signals, and I'll have to see if they have a red bulb for the driver's side rear fog. If not I'll just wire it up to be another reverse light.

This does get rid of the 5 light mod which is kind of a bummer, but that's ok.

-Jason

Last edited:

JaredT

theDoctor
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE & Y2KBug
Me too

I think you could swap every other oil change or so, that way you keep everyone guessing.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Be aware, Jason, that a red bulb in a reversing light DOES NOT make a foglamp. Reversing lamps are set up for a diffuse, wide-angle beam, a foglamp produces an intense parallel beam (that loses intensity quickly off-axis)
FWIW

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
DPM, this is exactly right. The outer portion of the clear strip is for the rear foglight. That why in the one appears so dim in that picture, the camera is off the axis. I'm actually using the rear fog portion as a reverseing lamp on the passenger side.

I had checked at several stores, and only one place carried red standard bulbs, and it was $8 for a pair of them. I'm gunna keep looking.

-Jason

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
looks good! i really like those 04 tails on black and dark blue jettas!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I like those a lot--kind of like the euro tails on my wagon. Now you need a '04 or '05 trunk lid. That little lip reminds me of the A3.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Peter, but if I go to the 04 trunk lid, then I loose the abality to install the euro trunk handle :)

Dan, the power increace is great :D I don't know if it was from the tails or unjamming the VNT, though.

-Jason

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
LOL - that's great! I've been thinking that I'd like to have the OLD style on my '04!!! Against the spice red, I think it would look "cleaner" with the more uniform red lenses.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Heh, wanna buy my old ones ;) And I'll agree, the solid red would look good against a red car.

Oh, BTW, unlike the previous cars, the rear fog lights don't have tabs you can just bust off. Time for the dremel!

-J

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Comp, you'd have to ditch the 04 tails, but you could go for a Chinese trunklid...

With the MkV Golf-style trunk release... :D

bhtooefr

TDI
None
We're gonna leave soon... :p

Of course, I just noticed the reverse sensors on that bumper... did the Bora ever have reverse sensors in Europe?

(BTW, that bumper is made for a Chinese plate. Not as long as a Euro plate, not as tall as a US plate.)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
compu_85 said:
Oh, BTW, unlike the previous cars, the rear fog lights don't have tabs you can just bust off. Time for the dremel!

-J
Yeah... I know, I have the $9 Harbor freight dremel and it took for-evah to do.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
fitzski said:
LOL - that's great! I've been thinking that I'd like to have the OLD style on my '04!!! Against the spice red, I think it would look "cleaner" with the more uniform red lenses.
Hey Fitzski If you are ever serious about that, I'll trade ya!

jblythe

TDI
'02 Jetta GLS
bhtooefr said:
Comp, you'd have to ditch the 04 tails, but you could go for a Chinese trunklid...

With the MkV Golf-style trunk release... :D
where do I get a chinese trunk lid, and how much did this mod cost?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
You would get one from China, of course. :D

Note the bumper holds the license plate, and is made for a Chinese plate, which is taller but not as wide as a Europlate, and wider but not as tall as a US plate.

I don't know how much this mod would cost... it probably costs more now, as this generation of the Mk4 Bora JUST came out in China.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
whitedog said:
Yeah... I know, I have the $9 Harbor freight dremel and it took for-evah to do.
Melting the plastic is a good idea since it helps control the shavings that fall into the nooks & crannies.

I wonder if there are any hole-saws small enough

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
20IndigoBlue02 said:
Melting the plastic is a good idea since it helps control the shavings that fall into the nooks & crannies.

I wonder if there are any hole-saws small enough
I removed the lens assembly. Do that stuff on the bench. I can't imagine trying to do that neatly while in the car.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Ya, and I followed it up with some compressed air. But if you look closely in the pictures you'll see one little bit of red plastic I missed...

-J