www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old July 16th, 2006, 10:31   #1
VDubbing
Veteran Member

Default slow fuel pump

I was filling up the other day at a now bio place as I miscalculated a side trip and wasnt able to get to where i normally get my bio 100. Anyway the pump is pumping at probably a quarter the speed a fuel pump would normally pump at. I mention this to the attendant and he says its cause the tank is almost empty. Does anyone know if this is true or if this guy is giving me the gears? Ive never experienced this before.
Thanks
Rob

2003 Jetta TDI Galactic Blue
235,000 K PP764 injectors, RC stage 3 VR6 clutch kit. Aluminum skid plate, GTI fogs .658 gear
VDubbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 13:52   #2
wny_pat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDubbing
I was filling up the other day at a now bio place as I miscalculated a side trip and wasnt able to get to where i normally get my bio 100. Anyway the pump is pumping at probably a quarter the speed a fuel pump would normally pump at. I mention this to the attendant and he says its cause the tank is almost empty. Does anyone know if this is true or if this guy is giving me the gears? Ive never experienced this before.
Thanks
Rob
Could be any number of problems from what he told you to vapor lock to plugged filter, along with some others.
Old July 16th, 2006, 16:17   #3
VDubbing
Veteran Member

Thanks

2003 Jetta TDI Galactic Blue
235,000 K PP764 injectors, RC stage 3 VR6 clutch kit. Aluminum skid plate, GTI fogs .658 gear
VDubbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 20:12   #4
Old Navy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 28 mpg on PU, 33 on Car

That is a common when a tank gets low and stars sucking the stuff up from the bottom of the tank. What causes it is the height of the lift to the pump, same happens in a water well or oil well. Oh and it means you will be getting all the trash from the bottom of the tank if it gets low enough.

2014 Dodge 1500 V6 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab Cherry Red Metallic 28 mpg plus. Grandpa's ride.
Old Navy is offline   Reply With Quote