NB Air Intake pictures / snow screen removal / intake water leak example

Ironforger

Veteran Member
I had some body work done on my NB TDI recently. Took the opportunity to snap these cool pictures and also do surgery on my air intake. By accident I discovered the root cause for a MAF issue that I've been experiencing during rain. The MAF would throw all kind of errors when driving in rain, and the car would run like crap. Turns out the air pipe was assembled wrong next to the tire, like someone squashed it together without making sure the rubber gasket was seated properly. If you look close (see 3rd picture below) you will notice the rubber gasket distorted since it was seated wrong for so long. This caused water to enter the intake system as this connector gets water spray and splash off the tire. Whenever the poor running issue occurred during rain, my air filter element would be damp. Thus water would also get on the maf. Issue has not occurred since I fixed it.

Yea boy! Mystery solved.

Also removed snow screen while I had it apart. (See last picture).

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I agree with Pelican. neither of my two beetles have had the snowbox snorkle installed and I never get water in there..

do you have the inner fender liner installed? you must be getting water in there somewhere else unless you are crossing creeks regularly in your bug.

Ironforger

Veteran Member
Yea guys, at the time my fenderwells were damaged, both had large holes, the hole on the left one was right by the connector I mentioned above. This could further explain the issue I had.

Do you regularly drive though heavy rain with no problem? Where did you disconnect the snowbox/snorkel? at the connector I mentioned? Do you get alot of road dirt in the airbox? Does the car run better? What are the benefits?

bdiddy

TDI
98 New Beetle, 97 Passat, 96 passat wagon, 98 jett
I have the same questions as the last post. Also has anyone ever opened up the stock lower airbox for more flow and sound?