www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old July 13th, 2006, 15:33   #16
2KJettaTDIGL

Fuel Economy: 38

About to turn 150,000K bought it with 96K and had timing belt done when purchased and just got it back with 2nd timing belt job.
Issues I've had: replace glow plugs; bottomed out on curb put in hybrid oil pan (recommended). Other than brakes and stuff still going strong. Have stage 2 chip. Thinking about bigger injectors any comments on that? .
2KJettaTDIGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 14:26   #17
Extremefeats
Veteran Member

Woow, as a newbie coming off a crappy ass Eagle Talon TSi Turbo'd car, these stats sure do make me feel good about my purchase. At 191 km, this 2001 Golf TDI is like new.
Extremefeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 14:27   #18
Extremefeats
Veteran Member

Any comments on chipping mine? How much does it cost and what kinda HP should I expect ? Also, with regard to glow plugs, when do you know they need replacing ?
Extremefeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 14:57   #19
anahata
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 60/44/37
Default nothing extreme here

Up to 62,000 on a '01 golf 5 speed. Car needed MAF. Leak in IP resealed, Glove box hinge. Glow plug harness. slight leak on flange of tranny housing developing. Creak in driver's seat -gone. Oh Yeah, original owner (first 12k) had a leaky radiator replaced on warrenty. But hey....other than that it's been great....drives and conserves like a dream and I take good care of it. 1rst TB went smoothly done by Indpendent Auto in Phoenix.

Last edited by anahata; December 3rd, 2007 at 16:50.
anahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 06:23   #20
bogeyboy99
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 TDI
Fuel Economy: 45mpg

10k so far...after 10 months. I should hit 300k somewhere around 2031...if I should live so long or still have my license...
2nd Engine 40 low/52 high (41k)
Best tank range: 619 miles
bogeyboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 14:42   #21
VW97TDI

TDI(s): 97 Jetta TDI
Fuel Economy: 48MPG

Just sold 96 passat tdi with about 345,000. Chipped, new clutch, 3turbos, 1head job, brakes and calipers, struts, body rust...but...I still was driving it, ran good with the exception of some smoke when accelerating. Bought a lower milage 97 jetta(66K) and hope to run it to at least 350K+
If you choose not to decide, You still have made a choice.
VW97TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 14:51   #22
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushman
snip......1head job...snip
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:40   #23
MCathcart
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

I ended up with a '98 Beetle I bought new and a '99 that I bought with a bad clutch (DMF). I replaced the clutch in the '99 and tried to sell it with 142k on the clock. Most of the people that called about (the 50 mpg) said "Oh My! That's just toooo many miles". Most people that drive Gas cars don't know Squat about a diesel. My opinion of 142k on a Tdi? Let Her Roll, 300K is waaaaay Off! (I ended up selling the '98 and keeping the '99.)

Captain Mike
MCathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 13:05   #24
cha$e

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 42

I have a 99.5 Jetta TDI GLS, which I bought new in May of 1999.
Currently 118,000 miles. We just moved to a house 60 miles away from my workplace, so that's likely to go up quickly.

Its entire history of work/problems so far:
Both front window regulators, twice each
Brake pads+discs at 68,000 (front or front+back) and front+back desperately needed now
Glow plug relay twice, glow plugs and harness once to fix P0380. What eventually fixed the problem was jamming a 1" square of aluminum foil inside the connectors on the harness.
Timing belt
Little plastic clip at the end of one of the rods coming forward from the underside of the (manual) shifter.
Accessory belt tensioner (broke on the interstate yesterday)
New tires, twice. Since the 2nd time, hubcaps always pop off within a week of (re-)attaching them. I just leave them off now, because I'm tired of running through traffic to retrieve them.
New battery
New MAF
Trunk lid, trunk floor, rear quarter panels, windshield replaced after I got rear-ended
Another new windshield due to a rock.
Added an engine heater
The microswitches in the locks of at least 2 doors are broken, so I can't do the nifty key/window trick anymore and to lock the car with the remote I have to push unlock THEN lock or it doesn't work. I know it's a $10 fix, but I haven't gotten around to it.
Microswitch for trunk latch died also, making the trunk light never come on, but I replaced it.
Added an engine block heater
Big rubber hose above the timing belt replaced because it split
Small cracks in front grill and bumper, plus very minor hail damage all over

So...sometimes a headache, but a lot better maintenance-wise than any other car I've owned. Still on the original clutch, transmission, etc.

Last edited by cha$e; August 25th, 2006 at 11:47.
cha$e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 13:38   #25
Amphicar770
Veteran Member

Had 330,000 miles on my 1986 BMW 524TDI when I sold her. She was still running strong on original engine, tranny, turbo, injector pump, etc. At one point did have most of the gaskets replaced, some suspension work, A/C repaired, etc. It was quick, quiet, always started right up, etc. Even with the 6 CYL, auto tranny, and more HP, it got about the same MPG as I am seeing from my MKV TDI with 5 speed. Sold it to some kid who was going to convert it into a greaser, can only asume it is still running.
Amphicar770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 16:07   #26
dieselfueler
Veteran Member

Talking

Just took my 2004 Jetta wagon in for the EGR replacement today. It has 155K miles on it. We've changed the oil/filters, 2x new tires - first at 70k and the last at 150K, timing belt at 100k. There is a rattle in one of the ac vents. I'm thinking of brakes/rotors soon although there's brake left, there is a little rotor shimmy when I stop. It's so little that I'm the only one to notice it but then again, I do spend a lot of time driving it.
dieselfueler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 22:30   #27
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (505k miles)

I know of a Jetta in Omaha with at least 400k miles -- the owner drives about 3500 miles a week! Actually, I haven't exchanged emails with him for about a year... his Jetta could have over 500k, or he could have replaced it with something a little newer.

Of course there's Glen (aka Golfland99) whose Golf had about 378k miles at the time of the Fullerton GTG a few weeks ago. But that was about 20k more than when he was in San Diego a couple months before.

I haven't posted in this thread, because my Golf's 176k+ miles don't really count as "high mileage".
'03 Golf with 505k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 00:43   #28
Nutsnbolts

Fuel Economy: Average is about 47 now (2010)

I'm starting to think that we should have a section for high-mile members or maybe a hall of fame? I know for a fact that TDredI is about to flip 400K in his, and it would be interesting to see where everybody falls on the list. I'm also thinking that we should look into having some badges made reflecting when the car rolls 200, 300, 400, or even 500,000 miles. It could be another way to support the TDIClub. Fred- what do you think?

-Rich

2000 Jetta, M1TDT since 20K, RC2, PP520s, W8 panel, front/rear fogs, Pseat w/mem. Other cars:1968 Chrysler 300 2dr HT
Nutsnbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 12:15   #29
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

Default 623k

While only having 144k so far on my 03 Jetta TDI, prior to this car, I had a 5 speed, 89 Jetta Diesel, (pre-TDI) which lasted 623,000 on its original, unrebuilt engine until it was totaled in a wreck in 2002.

The engine was a 1.6L, and didn't have the computer like the TDI does, however I'd say that it was about 90% the same as a modern TDI engine.

My father drove it the first 575k or so, using it in a sales route for years, before giving it to me after he had no bites trying to sell it for $500.
5th gear wore out at 425k, and a transmission was unbolted from a car behind the mechanic's shop, and installed in this Jetta.

Somewhere I have the paperwork showing all the costs involved, including going through 16 sets of Michelin tires, about 125 oil changes, A few sets of glowplugs, 1 clutch, 1 transmission, an oil pump at 615,000, more than 1200 tanks of fuel, (gheesh-- is that even possible?) several sets of brakes, and a set of coils/shocks, but suprisingly few other unexpected repairs other than normal routine maintenance. Dad even kept a tank-by-tank record of mileage and mpgs. Toward the end of its life it had dropped from 46-47 mpg, to about 35 or so.

The car was a GL (base model) with wind-up windows, and no frills. By the time he gave it to me, the front bumper was being partially supported by nylon weed-eater string, the left rear window would slip down about 1/8th of in an inch but could easily be cranked by reaching back from the driver's seat to keep the whistling noise away. Mechanicly, at 615,000 it was decent, but the oil pressure light had just started flickering which I figured was either the oil pump or engine bearings. I was going to try to get it to 650,000 or so before I replaced/rebuilt the engine.

At the time of it's 'unfortunate incident' when it met a Buick corner to corner at about 35 mph, it didnt leak oil, but seemed to developing a smoke issue, again probably due to a developing compression issue.
So-- I'd say that with proper care most people can expect 300k easily. By slowing down a bit, 450-500 k can be attained, and if you don't abuse the car, even 6-700k is possible. The more highway miles one drives, the better. Most people just cant keep a car that long without thinking they need something new.
Btw--Dad's just taken mom's 2000 Jetta TDI recently as his "new" car, and for her b-day, they bought a 2006 Pkg 2 TDI Jetta.

Other notable diesels in the family:
79 Rabbit Diesel 373,000 (Totaled Dec 1988) Dad's
1989 Jetta Diesel 623,000 Dad/ me (totaled 2002)
1983 Rabbit Diesel 400,000 (My car in highschool-- sold when I was 30) Odometer was broken for last 2 years I owned it and showed 372,000
2000 Jetta TDI mom/dad-- unknown mileage-- daily driver
2006 Jetta TDI mom 8,000 +/-
2003 Jetta TDI-- me. 143,000.
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 13:20   #30
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

Like TR, my TDIs don't qualify as high mileage, unless you add all the miles together. But in 142K my '02 (bought new) is still on its original MAF, EGR, battery, just got a temp sensor, brakes lasted 132K (in Boston traffic). TB at 80K, next one at 180. I've made many mods and upgrades that probably whould have been replacements if I didn't mod, like wheels, tires, and dampers.

What amazes me is the car runs better than ever at 142K, and it's as tight and rattle-free as new. I still look forward to driving it, and it's still fun. I'm after 300K, anyway.

I like the idea of 100/200/300K badges. I'd like to earn a couple of 200K ones.