06 DSG owners with manuals ???

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
I have a 06 Jetta with DSG and purchased the Ebahn manual. I am looking around and getting to know the car and decided to look at the trans oil change.

Under the section

Transmission oil and filter for Direct Shift

Tansmission oil and filter, changing - the last drawing shows the bottom view of transmission.

A - is the drain plug

B - is the called the check plug

Well I have looked and - DRAIN PLUG A DOES NOT EXIST

Check plug B is there just like the drawing shows and there is place in the housing for A but it was never installed -

If anyone knows anything about this please fill me in - maybe it was moved - maybe its to be tapped on first change.

Oh and get this when I called my VW dealer the parts man said we do not give out part numbers.

My trans is code HQN - July 2005 - Austria

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
You need access to the wag-com software to do the change. I would pump out he fluid, by doing a flush type change.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think you meant Vag -com and I have it - its not absoluteley neccessary but its a plus. Vag - com tell you the temp

Mach1 - do you have the Bentley - CD Ebahn manual - it clearly shows a 06 as I described above. A - drain plug A and a check plug B - but A was never tapped into my housing and what I was hopeing is other 06 DSG owners would check theirs and see if they have one or both It may be the manual is wrong or it might be that I got a DSG that was not completed. I need to figure out which. I will write bently and contact VW soon

Mach1

TDI
WJ, the brother works on these at the local dealership, yes there used to be a drain plug, fill plug. You will not get out but about 30% if you drain it, cause you cant drain the TC, the cooler, lines, and everything in the case, thats why I flush AT's and dont drain them, you get a dilution factor that you have to account for. From what I understand, you check the vwag-com at the end to set the final level.

When was yours manufactured as I can only guess that they dropped the drain/fill plugs and made it where either they are non-serviceable, or you have to do a flush. The move is to make trans where you can NO long service them. Several makes already have non serviceable trans already. No dipsticks, no pan to remove, no drain plugs, etc.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It has pans and the filter is right were the manual shows it. There is a big plug on the bottom but it is called a check or fill plug in my manual. 30% change - well then it might be wise to do just that make 30% change every 20k filter also. I think I might buy the manual for the trans itself - I think there is one, bently shows one. Actually it might not be to difficult to just drill it an tap it, providing the mechs are not 1/4 in from the housing. This bentley is about junk. I was told the same thing about the Vag-com but from the manual its only for making sure you are at proper temp. Its gravity filled ?? - I will figure it out eventually. I am sure your brother has access to exactly how this can be done - I tried locating VAS 6062 tool. VW dealer told me Snap has it but I have not checked that yet. Thanks for the info Mach 1

My trans is HQN and was made 19/07/2005 July

Mach1

TDI
Sounds like you got it, Drilling and tapping is welcome, or you can weld a bung on the sheet metal.

Did you look at the cooler lines and see about a flush. that way you could get out 98% of the fluid. thats what I do on the other vehicles. and you would not have to drop the pan, except to clean it/change filter.

Yes the temp determines the level. I believe its a fill/level plug.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am going to buy the training manual for this trans if its 100 or so.
I think drill and tap - it will cost about 50 USD total - I will need special drill bit and special flat tap, 2 actually one to start threads and one to finish. Oh and not get silly and make it SAE I will stick to METRIC. 1.75 pitch probably - I should make it same as check plug.

Maybe your brother would tell you the pitch of CHECK plug B Mach 1 if you ask please

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
From what I could see in the manual, you have a snorkel tube in the oil check hole for the excess oil to drain out of. Since the manual also says to check the tube to make sure it's snug in there, that means it can be removed, so what if you unscrew the tube to get more fluid out of the check hole.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
GOOD - I will look into it - soon - maybe tomorrow it only takes a few minutes to remove the lower shield

I just looked at manual if that snorkel comes out - its at the same level it would just double as a drain. it seems as though its all the same area just the base of the Mechatronic unit -

I found fluid for 21 USD thats the lowest so far first I found 28+ 27+ 23+ and now 21

Last edited:

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
wjdell said:
I think drill and tap - it will cost about 50 USD total - I will need special drill bit and special flat tap, 2 actually one to start threads and one to finish. Oh and not get silly and make it SAE I will stick to METRIC. 1.75 pitch probably - I should make it same as check plug.
I say do NOT try to drill & tap the tranny. That's the craziest thing I've read on here. How are you going to be sure you keep 100% of the shavings out of the tranny? I just did my 5K oil change & I'm pretty sure I saw the drain plug. I'll look closer when I do my other car.

Last edited:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
do that wind jammer - I think you saw "B" which bentley shows as a CHECK plug. I have drilled and tapped for over 30 years. I think I can handle it. I was a machinest for RIDGE TOOL Co in 73. I used to make tooling to make tools. I was a miller and a drill press operator. I worked with and for some of the best engine builders in Nothern Ohio. I was one of the first to install a V8 in a Vega 1971 - before there were kits. We are called fabricators and I can handle a simple drill and tap. The only real ? is the clearence between the the meck and the housing, the mech may have to be removed. Now for those of you who consider a TB complex - yes by all means do not attempt this at home.

Last edited:

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
I'm not questioning your ability. I just don't see the need. I don't think the drain plug was forgotten during the manufacturing process & if it was it's vw problem. Let them fix it. If the drain plug is not there then my guess is the inner tube in the check plug comes out for draining purposes. I can see vw doing this to save a machining process.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Windjammer said:
I'm not questioning your ability. I just don't see the need. I don't think the drain plug was forgotten during the manufacturing process & if it was it's vw problem. Let them fix it. If the drain plug is not there then my guess is the inner tube in the check plug comes out for draining purposes. I can see vw doing this to save a machining process.
I doubt it was dropped for that reason, maybe that protocal was decided "life time fill" and only adding would be neccessary. If you read the manual it clearly only shows change do to REPAIR. As far as quantity that can be removed from fill plub B I won't know that till I drain it and measure what comes out, maybe there are baffles. Tapping the housing is better than the pan and when you get down there you will see why. Also the stock confiiguration is best - many DSG's have drain plug A - for any future owner it will be exactly how the manual states a 2006 DSG configuration should be. I do not want to flush and if you research you will see why. The DSG fluid is more sensative than the blood in the human body. Any foreign fluid contamination would be highly detrimental. The flush machine would have to be a machine that only ever, ever had that particular wet clutch fluid in it. Any pollution of additives not condusive to sintered bronze would be a disaster, not paper or carbon. The base stock oils hurt nothing and would blend well with the propriatary fluid G052182A2. Its the additives that would cause the problems. Its the additives that govern torque transmission, because additives compete for the same adsorption surface. Also I believe that the G052182A2 contains solids. The instructions clearly say - shake the bottle. This tells me that the transmission fluid pressure is probably very high. It would take a very rapid flow to keeps these solids working. I am speculating here. I have found someone who is going to try and get more details directly from VW.

The more research I do the more I think complete changes are the best for this design. I am almost positive that the cleanliness of the fluid will decide the clutch life. The clutch is replacable. These DSG applications impose great demands on the transmission fluids and friction materials used as well as on controllability and vibration preventive (anti-shudder) properties of the clutch systems.

So when I do this I will have to be prepared to remove the Metatronic unit which involves two gaskets. The oil pump which involves another two gaskets I believe. The filter and gasket and as much a 8 litres of fluid, more than likely 5. Hopefully its only the oil pump as its a easy procedure in that case. A little more involved if the metatronic unit must be removed. I will have to order taps as I checked and I do not have that large of a metric taps. The plugs is easy and I found a suplier that has metric with magnet.

When you inspect your DSG's it would also be helpful if you can give me the CODES build dates they are located on the top of the trans straight down next to battery.

I am not crazy by any means - My german Stihl chainsaw and Stihl weedeater are 25 and 24 years old. They are like new and still operate at peak. I will do the same thing with this car.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Didn't the DSG transmissions first see use in Audi's? If so, you might want to check their boards to see what their owners have been doing with them.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
good idea tried that did not find much - Audi uses different #'s maybe I should try harder.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I want to point out that while the shifting is automatic this is not, repeat not, an automatic transmission. You do not have a torque converter and I don't think you can do a flush like on an auto.

Mach1 has the info for the automatics correct, but the DSG is a different animal.

I don't see a problem with tapping the pan, but if I was doing it I'd drop the pan afterward to clean any debris. After all, you'll already have almost all the oil out at that point.

The fluid in the DSG is not "lifetime fill", so it must be changed regularly. I forget the interval, I think it's 40,000 miles. The internal filter must be changed as well, which is probably why they didn't always bother with the drain plug. During service the pan has to come off, so a plug is not needed, though it could make the job cleaner.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The filter's on top of a DSG and the pans are on the side, so if he drills, it's right into the case.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
GetMore said:
I want to point out that while the shifting is automatic this is not, repeat not, an automatic transmission. You do not have a torque converter and I don't think you can do a flush like on an auto.

Mach1 has the info for the automatics correct, but the DSG is a different animal.

I don't see a problem with tapping the pan, but if I was doing it I'd drop the pan afterward to clean any debris. After all, you'll already have almost all the oil out at that point.

The fluid in the DSG is not "lifetime fill", so it must be changed regularly. I forget the interval, I think it's 40,000 miles. The internal filter must be changed as well, which is probably why they didn't always bother with the drain plug. During service the pan has to come off, so a plug is not needed, though it could make the job cleaner.
I show no internal filter if there is its a screen directly on the pump.

AND it was a LIFETIME FILL - that changed to 40k Read the VW manual change of if repaired. My manual is 3.01 build 63 dated 6/19/2006

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I found VAS 6262 - 150 USD -
Vag-com 340 USD
Bentley CD 100 USD
DSG 1100 option
Filter 50 USD
Fluid 22 per litre - 110 USD

EQUALS 1850 for the first 40k

Does Siphon Gold

OK well at 400 usd for the dealer thats 800+ for 80k miles

So at 80k I just get my money back - for those of you that only go 100k you could pay the dealer. Its a personal preference to do my own. Love this trans and would not trade for a manual. The intention is to go long term.

Last edited:

LILALLEYKATT

TDI
06 JETTA BLK/BLK PKG 2
Trans Service

The vw fluid must be synthetic and I was wondering if you had an opinion as to aftermarket availability of a like kind quality fluid like Ammoco synthetic or whatever.....Also I really like lubegard transmission supplement products. I was introduced to them by a friend whom is a master trans builder. I am a master honda technician retired in 04 and I alway tried to up-sell a maintaence service to include this additive. I dont want to preach but the stuff really made a differance. Hondas do not have serviceable transmission filters you only drain and fill. If you need to replace a trans filter because its full of metal and clutch particles you probally need a trans. I feel like we should look closely at weather the filter is a metal screen that can be cleaned with brake fluid or the paper element upon inspection can be re-used. Also I feel that if we can find a fluid thats not more expensive than Crown Royal we should be able to change out the fluid at the cooler by loosening the line and running a 3ft section of rubber fuel line into your drain pan. Just have an assistant start the car and watch the flow until it starts to slow down and have assistant IMMEDIAETLY shut car down. Refill & connect cooler line.... Your done without dropping the pan or replacing the filter. I think that this is 99% as good as the pan route...I'll try to come up with a LKQ fluid that meets or exceeds vws fluid. Thats my 2 cents worth....LILALLEYKATT

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That will be interesting if you can do it. The key may come from HALDEX or Statoil - Redline thinks that their DT4 is suitable but said not to use it because of color difference, at least not under warrenty. I have read allot, and quite frankly would be afraid to venture and experiment. Another key is sintered bronze and that would be were the additives comes in. I wrote a company in Cleveland that specializes in sintered bronze materials but they just ignored me. I think that this fluid has been around in some form for awhile and John Deere - Cat and others use something very similar. I have searched Borg-Warner but can find nothing, its their invention and licensed VW to produce the DSG. If I lived in cleveland and still had my connections I might find engineers willing to talk, in person. My eclipse had a easy change of 4 quarts and I just put 4 new in every 30k. I am convinced that will give good life for a auto trans. I did find out that G052162A2 is Esso L 74111 or some number close to that, but thats as close as I have gotten. G052182A2 is a new animal in the VW fluids, if its not a different number for a all whell drive fluid they and Audi have used for years. Look at my thread no free lunch it has more.

Last edited:

LILALLEYKATT

TDI
06 JETTA BLK/BLK PKG 2
Synthetic

Hey ; Check out the universal synthetic automatic fluid that amsoil just came out with on thier website. It is stated to meet or exceed vw requirements. Its $82.25 for 2.5 gals. That should = 100K . Lets all pull together and share our research to nip this expensive maintanence in the bud. I think that vw is trying to help thier service depts and rightly so. were talking about hydrolic fluid that is synthetic and has some additives. I cant see vw creating a trans that would suffer damage if some plain fluid were to be added at a maintaence intervel by an independent shop. The burden of proof on vw in a warranty situation is to great. They would have to analize all fluid in a lab before making a warranty decision. I am trying to put myself in their shoes. I know we need the best fluid available but that should do it. I'll do more research and report back A>S>A>P>...LILALLEYKATT

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LILALLEYKATT said:
Hey ; Check out the universal synthetic automatic fluid that amsoil just came out with on thier website. It is stated to meet or exceed vw requirements. Its $82.25 for 2.5 gals. That should = 100K
. Lets all pull together and share our research to nip this expensive maintanence in the bud. I think that vw is trying to help thier service depts and rightly so. were talking about hydrolic fluid that is synthetic and has some additives. I cant see vw creating a trans that would suffer damage if some plain fluid were to be added at a maintaence intervel by an independent shop. The burden of proof on vw in a warranty situation is to great. They would have to analize all fluid in a lab before making a warranty decision. I am trying to put myself in their shoes. I know we need the best fluid available but that should do it. I'll do more research and report back A>S>A>P>...LILALLEYKATT
I will but they just wrote me and said NO - they changed their application guide as it seemed as though ATF did work in some but it was false.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 2:17 PM
To: Mail TechService
Subject: RE: Technical Service Contact Form

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, the AMSOIL ATF is not recommended for the 6 speed VW transmission.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Darryn Wallace
Technical Service Department
AMSOIL, Inc.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
give me a link I can not find any VW fluid - ATF although they are now showing the MTG for 02E ??????????????????

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure what you are finding - Their Torqe Drive - sounds similar
Their ATH also sounds like a fluid that would work
Their MTG is listed at one site as O2E but I am almost positive thats a mistake.

Under 2005 Beatle I show no replacement for G052182A2
http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index

We could write and ask if they have a suitable replacement for the
G052182A2 and see what they say

LILALLEYKATT

TDI
06 JETTA BLK/BLK PKG 2
Hey WJ; I dont know how you were able to get this answered on a weekend but I'm impressed....I'd appreciate it if you would ask them what they reccommend for our DSG's...LILALLEYKATT

CAATS_Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Pkg2, ESP, DSG, & 8 airbags
Before you do anything based on the info posted from third parties keep in mind that the 6-speed automatic transmission is fitted to the 2.5L 5 cylinder gas engine. :eek:

Make sure; make damn sure, your source is speaking DSG.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CAATS_Man said:
Before you do anything based on the info posted from third parties keep in mind that the 6-speed automatic transmission is fitted to the 2.5L 5 cylinder gas engine. :eek:

Make sure; make damn sure, your source is speaking DSG.
I think alleycat found some info about older VW autos and Amsoil and it is confuseing. Thank you for the warning - you can bet will be careful with our DSG's. The only reason I bought VAG-COM - my DSG . The other things it will do will be nice, but was purchased just because I do not trust VW to service it. In the end I will have abosolute faith in the product or pay VW their price.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was under the car today, doing an oil change, so I took a peek at the trans. It doesn't have the extra cover the manual shows and it only has one plug. It looks like the plug is on the same level as the spot where the other plug would have been, so maybe the draining IS done by pulling the level tube out.