DSG Fluid Change

gcharkow

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
Saw this on the Vortex. Seems like the DSG Fluid change service is quite expensive.

TDI owners,

Be prepared to sell a Kidney for the 40,000 mile service. The DSG tranny requires a fliud change to the tune of $400.00 every 40,000 miles. I'm due in Friday and called to get a quote on the service (Which btw is $800.00 with half going to the tranny) and must have been smoking crack when I didn't notice this "Fluid" change every 40,000.
That's every year for me
I guess that I'm going to have to learn to do it on my own at this rate.

Does anyone here know if this is the case????

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Yes you are looking at 225, fluid filter and shipping. You best measure every drop you get out and only add that much back or get VAG COM so you can fill by the book. I am looking intot this fluid- I know that ESSO makes G052162A2 but have not been able to figure out who is supplier for G052182A2- I did talk to RED-LINE and they claim that there 4 is acceptable but not to use during warrenty due to vast color difference.

TomK

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 Black, Jetta 2009 Platinum Gray
I have been attempting to get more information about this. Those with the A4's are not accustomed to changing transmission fluid this early in the maintenance schedule. Indeed, the A5 maintenance schedule calls for a change of the DSG fluid at 40,000 miles. An $800 scheduled maintenance bill at 40,000 miles and again at 80,000 sounds quite expensive, especially when you consider a timing belt service at 100,000 miles. This has not been widely discussed (that I've seen), and I don't think that a lot of folks are aware of what's in store.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
I'm sure the price of the fluid will come down in price gradually as it becomes more requested and available. I see it as costing less than $100 for fluid and filter by the time I'm ready in 2 years.

Anyone needing to do this soon, please take some pics and post em. So far there are no pics of this procedure.

tntdifan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you do it by the book, you have to pull the battery to access the filter to change it, and put it back again to do the fluid change and you need to have a hoist or other way to keep the car perfectly level while changing the fluid and you need a VAG-COM to make sure the fluid temperature is correct when you adjust the fluid level and you need a special VW hose/fitting tool to connect the fluid bottle to the tranny when adding fluid.

Did I mention that the fluid is something like $20/liter, and it takes 5 liters?

It's not exactly set up to be easy for the amateur mechanic. :rolleyes:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The instructions say to lower the car change the filter and fill - 30C and fill till it drips ??? to ignore the cooling pulse every 30 seconds.

You also know that many of the new 06's may not have the drain plug as shown in the Bentley manual. Mine does not, it does have the check plug. I may install the the drain or as some speculate it can be drained thru the fill plug by removong the snorkel. ???

I bought VAS 6262 we shall see it in a week or so.

To install the drain plug as per manual the oil pump pan will have to be removed - 2 gaskets. I am hopeing I will not have to remove the metatronic unit. Its hard to tell the diagram is vague

Yes I am sure this was to stop self service.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Database for DSG ENTER YOUR CAR

Do you have a DSG?

PLEASE

Go to GENERAL VW DISCUSSIONS

at the top there is a STICKY, DSG owners database.

Fill out the questions so we (you, I have a manual) can resolve
some of the doubts that some owners/prospective buyers may have.

This will take some time (not filling out the form,that is quick) to bear
fruit, but seems quite worthwhile to me.

HTH

Bill

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Vas 6262

Windjammer said:
How much? Did you order it from a dealer?
I wanted the tool made in Germany so I searched forever one wanted 150 and the other 115. I am pricing other tools made in Germany.

DO NOT be to anxious - VAS 6262 is two valves and one coupler and a cap that screws to the liter container .

This tool may be able to be made here in USA via local parts. I paid all this money so others would not have to. I will spec this out and send you so you can make yourself. I may make the tool and sell to members. I am sure I could buy ten of each part. The member could pay for the parts - shipping and a 10 fee for ME :). The 125 USD tool could be reduced and who knows maybe better for around 40 I would think. I will let you know when it arrives . I can make good digital pic and describe the parts so no one has to pay 125 for a part that can made for much less.

Last edited: