www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 7th, 2006, 16:42   #1
stink bug

Fuel Economy: 38 to42 (Cuz of racks)
Default catalytic converter cleaning?

Hello again, I heard a while back that catalytic converters start to get clogged up after about 50,000 miles and it hurts the engine. I also heard that they can be cleaned by using some kind of citrus solvent.
True or False?????

Thanx, the stinker
stink bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 20:02   #2
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Never heard of cleaning a cat....
Whoever you heard that from should go to the bottom of the
trusted list untill you have more info.
(way to the bottom!)
Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 21:03   #3
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

It's not how you clean the cat, it's how you cook it.

Some people "clean" their converters with a drill. Not an EPA santioned process, so ignore that sentence.
whitedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 21:21   #4
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Retard the injection timing to the bottom of the graph. Drive with the engine set that way for about a week while taking a few spirited drives of at least 30 minutes. This will heat the cat and burn off any built up carbon.

CAUTION: Do not set the timing BELOW the bottom of the red-line in VAG-Com, I personally have seen melted turbine wheels as a result of too retarded timing (nearly at the bottom of the timing chart is the range the damage occured).

I do agree that this is needed from time to time. You can tell the cat is cleaned out when you smell the "water-ized" scent from the exhaust.

DB
Old June 7th, 2006, 21:44   #5
wny_pat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg

I learn something new here every day!!!
Old June 7th, 2006, 23:28   #6
Fortuna Wolf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 mix

drivbi, will this also heat up the turbo and cook carbon off of the vanes? Or is this not recommended for cleaning the turbo?
2002 Jetta Sedan ALH-01M: 2 um Cat FF, Wingnut-3 CCV filter, polyurethane fuel lines, 5 brake light mod, Ventectomy, Polysiloxane vacuum tubing, Pioneer DEH-3800MP w/ KFC-1389ie, Panzer Plate, EGT+Boost+Oil Temp Gauges, Boost Valve, KERMA Line Pressure Mod, LED Lighting, HC-12a refrigerant, Optima 75/35 AGM, .187 nozzles, Hawk HPS pads.
Coming Soon: ESP retrofit, Custom Greasecar.

Wish List: Tow Bar, DSG or CVT transmission, or even a 5 speed manual. To hit 42+ mpg

Fortuna Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 04:56   #7
LurkerMike
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: -Whitey: 38-40 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph / -Red 46 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph

Check out the comments in this other thread where I was told that the stock cat never clogs up?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=139697
LurkerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 06:08   #8
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerMike
Check out the comments in this other thread where I was told that the stock cat never clogs up?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=139697
I must have missed that post that says the cat never clogs up. I'm interested in reading that post.
whitedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 07:50   #9
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Once the VNT vanes are jammed solid, thats it it will have to be torn down and de-carboned as well as remove the rust and scaling. Heating may burn off the carbon the guide vanes but will do little to unjam the mechanisms.

DB
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:56   #10
stink bug

Fuel Economy: 38 to42 (Cuz of racks)

If it does start to restrict emissions, could this be why inside my cab smells like diesel sometimes. Or is that normal for a bug with 50,000. I mean maybe this is a different subject all together. But all the bug's I test drove That had approximatly that much milage smelled funny inside. I guess that should maybe have been the post topic, as thats what I'm trying to find out.

stinky
stink bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:57   #11
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

If it smells like raw diesel fuel, you have a fuel leak somewhere, most likely those little hoses between each injector.

If it smells like exhaust, then my guess would be the cabin 'exhaust' vents in the rear quarter panels. They get stuck open with age.

FWIW, a lot of cars I've been in start to smell funny after a while. Usually it's the half-eaten cheeseburger under the seat that is the culprit.

The game of Bridge is like Sex: You need either a good partner or a good hand.

You're either part of the solution or you're part of the precipitate.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:42   #12
ahibbert

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta
Default cleaned-up catalysts

Now scientists from the Institute of Catalysis and Petrochemistry in Madrid, Spain, have found that a dilute solution of citric acid can wash out the catalyst killers without damaging the platinum. When tested on a simulated stream of exhaust gases, the cleaned-up catalysts were as good as new, the team reports online in Environmental Science and Technology.
ahibbert is offline   Reply With Quote