www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old June 6th, 2006, 20:17   #1
onehotspud
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 59/45/36
Default Gas MFA Cluster in a TDI

I believe that this has been covered in the HUGE cluster conversion thread found here, shorter version found here. Another thread to look at is this one by Nihilator. It is an AMAZING FAQ with a lot of information. This thread is specific to just putting a gasser cluster in a TDI.

Can I put a gaser cluster in my TDI?
The short answer is yes. Jetta / Golf instruments from a gasser will work in the Jetta / Golf TDI. A Passat cluster will not. Although I'm sure that a Passat cluster from a gasser will work in a Passat TDI, but I don't know anyone that has done that.

Can I take the MFA display and put it in my current cluster?
No. The MFA board is completely different than the standard cluster.

What about the tachometer?
It shows your RPMs exactly as it should. The only difference is the scale. But if your engine is at 2000 RPMs, the pointer will point to 2000 RPMs.

And the Speedometer?
Same as the tachometer. If you’re going 60 (mph or kph), it will still point to 60.

And the glow plug light?

For IMMO2 clusters (2000, 2001), the light is in the same place. But instead of the pigtail, it shows as EPC.

For IMMO3 clusters (2002+), it’s tricky. The LED (physical light) may or may not be there. If it is there, the tachometer face is blacked out in that spot. You could either run some wires to a different spot that will show through and put the LED there. Or you could poke some holes in the face to let the light shine through. Both of these work, but I didn’t like either one.

The third option is to have a pro go in to the eeprom dump from the cluster and change the tachometer scale to a TDI scale and then you can take your TDI tach face from your original cluster and put it in the gasser cluster. I suggest that only the pros do this. If you are confused about this in any way, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT. You run the risk of bricking your cluster.

How accurate is the MPG display?
Depending on your car, it will read 5 - 10% high. The IMMO2 clusters can be programmed with VCDS (VAG-COM) and adjusted by 5% increments for your car. The IMMO3 cars require a change in the eeprom dump. I’ve gotten mine to within .1% of actual mileage on an IMMO3 cluster.
A few steps closer to a CoolWht clone...

Last edited by onehotspud; October 31st, 2009 at 16:31.
onehotspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 20:17   #2
onehotspud
Veteran Member

Oh, and a picture!

Old June 6th, 2006, 20:22   #3
weasel
Deactivated Member Account

TDI(s): None.

Very cool. One question though. What did you do about the glow plug light ?? Or does something else light up in its place ?

Last edited by weasel; June 6th, 2006 at 20:42.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 20:51   #4
onehotspud
Veteran Member

I knew I was forgetting something. It uses the same LED. It's in the same spot, but it shows EPC instead of the glow plug symbol.
Old June 6th, 2006, 21:02   #5
compu_85
Gadget Guy

WOW! I didn't think this would work... I was wrong! This is excellent news!

-Jason
2013 Fiat 500e. 33,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:43   #6
jck66
Veteran Member

Who's HUGH?
jck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 18:22   #7
A2B4guy

TDI(s): none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jck66
Who's HUGH?
I don't know, but he must be BIG.
Old June 7th, 2006, 20:12   #8
onehotspud
Veteran Member

He's about 5'4" and has curly hair. Small hands too!

He knows everything about changing a cluster though.
Old June 8th, 2006, 06:35   #9
fishmando
Veteran Member

So what about a high pix gasser cluster?
fishmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 20:03   #10
onehotspud
Veteran Member

Sounds like my next adventure.

It should work the same. I don't have the stock radio to get any additional function out of the high pixel cluster.

I looked through the thread on the MFA clusters and it looks like it might be plug and play. From what I read, the radio and cluster communicate via the can line. Depending on what year car and cluster, it should work.

But, I don't know 100%. I might look for a cheap full pixel and see if it will show the radio info. It would be fun to have, but not needed.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 18:15   #11
onehotspud
Veteran Member

Alright, slight update..

I haven't had much time to figure this one out. But it is something that I noticed.

My check engine dummy light does not come on. I have unplugged the MAF, the 3rd injector, and something else that I can't remember. All of these threw a code, but no CEL. It doesn't even come on when I first turn the car on.

This might have something to do with the Rocketchip programming that I got. I installed this cluster shortly after getting chipped and didn't notice anything with the old cluster. I e-mailed Jeff from RC and he doesn't think that it has anything to do with the programming.

The CEL does show up when I run the cluster through the tests with all the other LED's. My next two steps are to install the old cluster to see if it comes on with that and to do a factory reset on the ECU and the instruments.
Old December 15th, 2006, 10:06   #12
onehotspud
Veteran Member

My next adventure!!

There is one other user here that I know that has done this. I'm documenting it for myself though.

Pros:
- Faces are dead sexy looking!
- Needles have a better (imo) look
- IMMO3 which allows the distance to empty
- It includes the rear fog icon LED
- No more "unleaded fuel only" on the face

Cons:
- Firmware needs to be flashed to work with a Jetta/Golf (different speed impulses between the Passat and the J/G)
- If it's still the gasser faces, no glowplug light. The LED is there, it just doesn't show through the face. I'll probably poke pin holes in the face to get by. This can be solved by finding a diesel Passat face. I may even see if I can switch wires around to have it display on a different LED.
- The temp and fuel gauge "printing" is partially blocked off by the J/G housing. There's also some other stuff that should be blocked off but aren't.
- The turn signal and the high beam indicator aren't "tinted" off. The turn signals aren't soo bad. The high beam is. I'll probably cut out the high beam indicator from my original cluster and glue it on to the face of the Passat cluster.

The cluster has been sent off to have the firmware flashed.

In the end, this will work for anyone interested in doing this.
Old December 15th, 2006, 10:32   #13
eyeguy
Veteran Member

Did you get the CEL taken care of, and could you just swap out the faces from the TDI? I guess I'd have to find someone to get me the SKC code and reset the cluster if I did this.
eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 10:53   #14
onehotspud
Veteran Member

The CEL problem is a result of the Rocketchip. It's not really a problem. That's just the way it is.

You can swap faces from a TDI but you would have to have the firmware changed over to a TDI. I didn't want to spend the money to have the firmware put in. I know where the redline is for the engine. You should be able to have it flashed and reset by the same person.

Last edited by onehotspud; December 15th, 2006 at 11:00.
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:00   #15
dieselgti
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Low 30's :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehotspud
That's the best average MPG a gas cluster will ever see