Switched from Delvac 1 to Castrol Syntec

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
After 180,000 miles I switched form Mobil Delvac 1 to Castrol Syntec yesterday..
This will be a permanent switch away from Delvac 1

Heres are my reasons why
  1. I prefer to use an approved 505 oil
  2. I have to invest in a case of Delvac at a supplier
  3. Castrol is available at Auto Zone by the quart
  4. It is easier to handle the quart containers
  5. Delvac 1 is overkill for the little TDi
I will however use the Mobil 0w- 40 next oil change. The weather will be colder and I think the 0w- will be flowing easier than 5w when first started. It is approved by VW and MB

Turbosprezarka

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (ALH) GLS, 5sp, Tornado Red, 301,593 miles, SOLD
The more I read on these forums, the more piece of mind I get in using a 505.xx oil. too bad, personally I thought Delvac was great stuff.

You're lucky you can find it at Autozone too, I can't get it where I am, except from the dealer; ick. I stick with Elf DID anyways.

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
mobil 1

Frank M said:
After 180,000 miles I switched form Mobil Delvac 1 to Castrol Syntec yesterday..
This will be a permanent switch away from Delvac 1

Heres are my reasons why
  1. I prefer to use an approved 505 oil
  2. I have to invest in a case of Delvac at a supplier
  3. Castrol is available at Auto Zone by the quart
  4. It is easier to handle the quart containers
  5. Delvac 1 is overkill for the little TDi
I will however use the Mobil 0w- 40 next oil change. The weather will be colder and I think the 0w- will be flowing easier than 5w when first started. It is approved by VW and MB
why not just use the mobil 1 0w40 year round it is 100 % syntec group 4 or 5 ? :)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Frank, you've got the intelligence and the maturity to make your own decisions. While I think your reasons are weak, I don't have the facts to prove they are wrong.

Also, Mobil is making it very difficult to stay loyal. You can't use what you can't find.

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
mobil 1 0w40

TornadoRed said:
Frank, you've got the intelligence and the maturity to make your own decisions. While I think your reasons are weak, I don't have the facts to prove they are wrong.

Also, Mobil is making it very difficult to stay loyal. You can't use what you can't find.
the mobil 1 0w40 is easy to find and i think that it would be better than the castrol. :D

mahnster

TDI
My 1999.5 Jetta GLS was killed by an SUV. Now I have a 2002 Jetta TDI
FYI Mobile Delvac 1 can be found in tampa at

TruckPro
5711 N. 56th st
Tampa, FL 33610