vw leatherette

brann524

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta tdi, 5 speed
Can anyone tell me if the leatherette in the 06 jetta is same type stuff that mercedes has used for years,which is almost indestructable and stays looking good forever,no oiling,looks as good as real leather but doesn't dry out?

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
I cannot say it is the same exact material that Mercedes uses, but I am happy with it so far... about 8 months and 12.5K miles

KS_Jetta

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed Manual
I had a 2000 NB with vinyl. Horrible. After 20k miles I had a stripe from my belt that would not come off. Turned in at lease end that way. The beige Leatherette in my 06 is Much more comfortable, and is holding up well - after a whopping 2600 miles. ;)

Bugzilla

TDI
2002 NB / 2006 Jetta
KS_Jetta said:
I had a 2000 NB with vinyl. Horrible. After 20k miles I had a stripe from my belt that would not come off.
My 2002 NB is exactly the same. I went w/ the 'real' leather seating surface this time.

HFSH

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
So far I like my Leatherette, but I've only got about 10500 miles on the car. ;)

greasekid

TDI
2005 Passat
In a very well ventilated area try a little non chlorinated brake cleaner, it will bring your leatherette back to that new oil free clean. I tried to avoid getting it down the holes into the foam, seemed like a bad idea. It takes a day with the windows down to air out. This also works amazingly well on those dealership planted oils spots on the headliner that make me crazy.

When the car was new I rather didn't like the plastic feel of the leatherette, when I got that feeling back after the brake fluid cleaning it made me realize it's the oils on the leatherette that make it feel more supple? I donno....

I'd just be careful only testing a small spot, you'll have to do the whole thing when you realize how gross it is, I turned a few white towels BLACK after only 20k miles in eight months.

Strack

Veteran Member
Try cleaning the leatherette with soap and water, then Fantastic or 409 if it's still dirty. Be careful- brake cleaner is a caustic product which will cure the vinyl and accelerate cracking & splitting. Hot soap and water will get most of the gunk off.....

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
greasekid said:
In a very well ventilated area try a little non chlorinated brake cleaner...
I agree with Strack, using brake cleaner on the leatherette seats does not sound like a good idea. Instead I'd recommend using cleaning and conditioning products designed specifically for leather.

DrewD

Veteran Member
My VW manual specifically states not to use leather conditioner or cleaner.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Mercedes MB Tex

brann524 said:
Can anyone tell me if the leatherette in the 06 jetta is same type stuff that mercedes has used for years,which is almost indestructable and stays looking good forever,no oiling,looks as good as real leather but doesn't dry out?
As a Mercedes enthusiast for many years I find that the original MB Leatherette, called "MB TEX" will last for decades with out deterioration.
Leather will dry out and crack. It smells nice but its durability is not like MB TEX

Strack

Veteran Member
i think benz used to call their imitation leather, nauhgahide (spelling type for sure), it does last forever though... the old 240 D series used this material and they held up incredibly well.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Strack said:
a benz rep told me they call it nauhgahide?? was that slang or lingo for something else, or was he just plain incorrect?
I do not know how long the rep has been working for MB.
I have been a MB enthusiast for 35 years and also very familiar with most post war MB and I or anyone else in my age group has never heard that.. (Naugahyde)

We used to call (vinyl) that we used on hot rods in the 50's, Naugahyde. Some famous CA. Hot Rods had "Rolled & Pleated Naugahyde" done at shops in Mexico.

That was before leatherette or vinyl was invented..:eek:

Last edited:

btp226

TDI
2006 Jetta Spice Red
I believe the use of "Naugahyde" was discontinued sometime in the late 70's. The tiny hides, which came from domesticated Naugas, while durable were very difficult to work with due to their diminuative size. It generally took about 75 - 80 Naugas to upholster one typical car seat. PETA eventually came on the scene and there were numerous investigations into the cruel practices used in harvesting the Naugas. Wild Naugas are all but extinct in their native CT, but a few small herds can still be found in remote locations of northern New England

:D Whatdya mean you don't believe this??

Last edited:

TAK1973

TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg 1
I have the leatherette (AKA vinyl) in my 06 Jetta. I have been looking for someone willing to trade their cloth covers for mine. I posted in the selling forum, but no takers. Any interest here?

HFSH

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
The most well-known brand name of pleather is Naugahyde, which used to be made in Naugatuck, Connecticut. It is now made in Stoughton, WI.

No kidding? Where in Stoughton?

Naugas are nocturnal, hairless, aquatic mammals of many colors that live in the Naugatuck River, and can be made to come to the surface at night by shining a flashlight into the water. The Naugas are then captured and sorted by color to be made into the various colors of Naugahyde.

whitelite777

Veteran Member
DRbillZ said:
NO matter what the leatherette continues to be poor at disipating heat. The longer you sit on it the hotter it gets.....thus the reason for the holes.
Agreed! The same issues come with leather, cold in winter and hot in summer. I'm about to pull the "trigger" on some Sheep Skins. Not the ones with nylon sides and back. They're too cheap.

Full Sheep Skins are comfortable and actually are better that cloth for climate changes, plus they protect the seating cover whatever it is. Cost installed is about $230 for both fronts. I have them on my Dodge 2500 with leather seats, I put them on a couple summers ago. Don't slid and very comfortable.

prfbarto

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE with SR & NAV
btp226 said:
I believe the use of "Naugahyde" was discontinued sometime in the late 70's. The tiny hides, which came from domesticated Naugas, while durable were very difficult to work with due to their diminuative size. It generally took about 75 - 80 Naugas to upholster one typical car seat. PETA eventually came on the scene and there were numerous investigations into the cruel practices used in harvesting the Naugas. Wild Naugas are all but extinct in their native CT, but a few small herds can still be found in remote locations of northern New England

:D Whatdya mean you don't believe this??
Yeah, but their meat was good in chili! :D :D

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
greasekid said:
In a very well ventilated area try a little non chlorinated brake cleaner, it will bring your leatherette back to that new oil free clean....
I used this on a pair of Timberland Boots and it restored the entire surface to a new condition. It removed grease, oil and stains while when using soap prior it had left stains and water spots. You have to be careful applying it. I've heard and seen people use this technique too on their interior seats/door panels. Again it's all about technique and I'd image what brand of cleaner they are using.

Brian

HFSH

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
whitelite777 said:
Full Sheep Skins are comfortable and actually are better that cloth for climate changes, plus they protect the seating cover whatever it is. Cost installed is about $230 for both fronts. I have them on my Dodge 2500 with leather seats, I put them on a couple summers ago. Don't slid and very comfortable.
I just added my sheepskin on the driver side, it took a little getting used to but I LOVE it. :D