FMIC in Golf4 with stock bumper without mods ?

gregtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI AHF 110
Hi,

I hope that this thread isn't a repetition of old'threads. I didn't see and found of thread speaking about my question.

So, i seek a FMIC for my Golf AHF110.I plans to mount a other turbo (tdi150) ans i want to say if it is possible to mount a FMIC with a oem bumper and if you have any markbrand of FMIC for golf 4. I have found on ebay much FMIC (JSA, X02 Racing , VW Perf outlet.... ) with cool prices.

Thanks.

skid9uk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 110
try here i have the 001 its good for 300bhp and only £110 www.thsparts.co.uk all though mines fitted to a passat yours should fit get the measurements from there website then make said i/c out of cardboard then take your bumper off and try it if the cardboard i/c fits then buy one:)

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Or you could also use the one Kerma sells on his web site or the pd 150hp unit if you have no air conditioning i think!!

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
mojogoes said:
Or you could also use the one Kerma sells on his web site or the pd 150hp unit if you have no air conditioning i think!!
900 bucks for a 400 intercooler -- thats 500 bucks for pipes. Thats probably the issue that the poster is looking at. I know thats whats stopping me. Seeing that there should be a cheaper option.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
I didn't know it was that much to be honest , then do something like Skid9uk has done , and you can buy some s/s pipe work off of ebay i would think for around the $200 mark , all up shouldn't be much more than $500.

Golf_GTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Even with the VNT17 turbo you may not need the big IC. It will help if you drive the balls off your car but aside from that you may get better performance much of the time with the smaller stock IC.

VortexNL

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV, 2002, Silver
Get a custom made intercooler....

Hi there,

Why don't you get a intercooler made just to fit your requirements....??
This is my custom intercooler..

Laterz...

Mark

gregtdi said:
Hi,

I hope that this thread isn't a repetition of old'threads. I didn't see and found of thread speaking about my question.

So, i seek a FMIC for my Golf AHF110.I plans to mount a other turbo (tdi150) ans i want to say if it is possible to mount a FMIC with a oem bumper and if you have any markbrand of FMIC for golf 4. I have found on ebay much FMIC (JSA, X02 Racing , VW Perf outlet.... ) with cool prices.

Thanks.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
interesting email I got in reply about intercoolers for our TDIs from a tech at Bell Intercoolers...and this was in regards to me modding to about 175 WHP when all is said and done. The Euro bumper/rebar allow for bigger FMICs than the NA. If you do the math below, the core Cubic Inches are all UNDER 200Cu.In. except for the last 2.

"the 175 WHP translate to about 400 CFM of Air for your Diesel-Application.
Principally, you have the Option of a horizontally Charge-Air Flow-Pattern,
or a Horizontal. As far as I know the Air-Inlet and Air-Outlet for the TDI
Application should both be on the Passenger-Side; hence, for that Reason,
the Charge-Air Flow-Pattern through the Core should be vertically.
The (vertical Flow) Core Options are:
- A= 1.25", B= 24.0", C= 6.0"; Core-Price: $ 353.00
- A= 1.25", B= 27.5", C= 8.5"; Core-Price: $ 453.00
- A= 2.25", B= 13.8", C= 6.0"; Core-Price: $ 249.00
- A= 3.00", B= 10.5", C= 6.0"; -CorePrice: $ 217.00
- A= 3.00", B= 11.8", C= 8.0"; Core-Price: $ 263.00
- A= 3.00", B= 12.5", C= 10.0"; Core-Price: $ 334.00
The longer the Dim. C, the better the Cooling, but the higher the
Pressure-Loss; therefore, regarding Performance only, the Core has to be
selected by considering both and select the best Compromise; usually, and in
Addition, one has to consider also the Installation-Size, the Ambient
Air-Flow through the Core and to the Radiator, AND the Price.
The End-Tanks are about 2.5" tall."

Last edited:

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
In giving you this info or saying/telling you what he did in respect of how big the ic should be in respect to how much air it should flow , was this tech talking only about one particular core type or did he pick the core he did because it was 1 a tdi and 2 a combination of 1 and the fact you were only wanting to achieve 170hp with a a certain turbo at a certain boost pressure.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
That at about the 175 HP...need a flow of 400 CFM Some of the cores he listed are actually fairly below the 400 CFM mark. So I think he was constricting his suggestions due to the SMIC location vs the FMIC I intend to use. I don't really intend on going more than 175 WHP... So with loss...that's about 185 at the crank? Maybe that's the number I need to give him to get the corrrect flow rate.

In any case...from what I've looked at and been told (hopefully correctly) we don't need monster FMICs and not many are going above the 175 WHP mark. Told the tech what turbo I'll be using and boost. Bell Intercoolers use bar/plate. There is a 2.25" x 17.7" x 6" core that flows 427CFM The one step up from that (18.4" long) flows 442CFM With either I can retain the stock bumper cover.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
My ic is supposed to flow 8061 cm2 is that around the said 400cfm's can someone convert this or is it twice as much.....but then again i'm aiming for considerably higher hp output.