Rear axle bearing re & re 'how to'

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I thought I remember seeing one of these already done by a member. But when I went to search for it, I couldn't find it. I'm sure its still out there somewhere, but I thought I would go ahead and do my own writeup anyway since I had to do this job.

The process is really quite simple. It just requires a few tools that the average Joe may not have in their tool box, but can easily borrow from their local loan a tool autoparts place (Can Tire, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.)

First thing to do is jack up the car, secure it with jack stands for safety & remove the rear wheel. While you still have the e-brake on, remove the small set screw with a large phillips head socket bit or screwdriver. If it is stuck, a good tap on the end of the bit with a hammer might shock it loose. Then, release the e-brake and remove the caliper. You need a 13mm socket (I found a 1/2 worked better though?) and a thin walled 15mm wrench (to fit in the tight space):

Then, pry the caliper back and hang it up out of the way with a bungee cord or wire. Then, you can remove the dust cap. Just use a hammer & a chisel to tap it off. Tap it a little on one side, then rotate and tap some more. Keep going around in a circular motion till it pops off:

Once the dust cap is off, use a breaker bar or impact gun & remove the axle nut with a 30mm 12 point socket:

With the axle nut removed, you can pull the hub off. It doesn't take a whole lot of force to remove it, so you don't need a really big puller. A 2 or 3 jaw puller will be fine. I used a 3 jaw for the hub and a 2 jaw for the inner race:

Once the hub is off, there will still be the inner race stuck on the axle shaft:

The inner race is a little harder to remove. There is not much of a lip to grab onto with the puller. In this case, a smaller puller works well. I used my dremel tool to grind 2 small spots on either side of the inner race so I had more area to grab with the 2 jaw puller:

That made grabbing it a whole lot easier:

Now that the old one is off, you can instal the new one. To get it started, place in on the axle & tap it with a rubber mallet. The axle is not long enough to allow the axle nut to grab any threads, so you have to drive it on with the mallet about an inch before you can press it the rest of the way with the axle nut:

Once you have a few threads sticking past the outer race, you can thread on the old axle nut and tighten it down. As you tighten it, it presses the bearing onto the shaft. Once it bottoms out, remove the old axle nut & reinstal a new one (as per Bently), and torque it down to 129 ft/lbs:

Then tap the dust cover back on, reinstal the caliper and then the wheels.

Congratulations, you just changed your rear axle bearing. With the right tools, it should not take more than an hour to do each side.

The tools I used were:

13mm socket
15mm wrench
30mm 12 point socket
Phillips head socket bit
hammers (rubber & ball peen)
chisel
3 jaw puller
2 jaw puller
breaker bar
Dremel tool

I hope this helps anyone who wishes to tackle the job themselves. But I must include my usual disclaimer: This writeup is for informational purposes only. I do not recommend anyone do this on their own. If you do, you do so at your own risk.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for looking.

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
you do it the hard way, the whole rear bearing come as an asembled unit, just remove brake caliper and brake rotor remove four bolts that hold assy .to axle and remove backing plate, install new rear bearing unit and new bolts (supplyed in kit) reinstall backing plate and caliper, takes me less than 15 min per side, they were designed to be non servicable, kit may cost you a little more but it pays for it self in repair time. boy you sure have a heavy rust problem on that car.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
vwrobert51 said:
you do it the hard way, the whole rear bearing come as an asembled unit, just remove brake caliper and brake rotor remove four bolts that hold assy .to axle and remove backing plate, install new rear bearing unit and new bolts (supplyed in kit) reinstall backing plate and caliper, takes me less than 15 min per side, they were designed to be non servicable, kit may cost you a little more but it pays for it self in repair time.
Wasn't hard at all. Much easier than the front bearings. But thanks for the tip. Next time you do it, can you snap some pics & supply part numbers...Thanks.

boy you sure have a heavy rust problem on that car.
Good old Canadian winters. Lots of road salt to keep the roads from icing causes plenty of corrosion. You think this car is bad after 5 winters, you should see the cars in Quebec. they use twice as much salt as Ontario :eek:

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
As an alternative to grinding out the back of the hub to get the inner race off, you could try this:

Any clamp could work (this one is easy to get to stay in place), and some pullers come with this function . I dremmeled out my first side, and it took so long (OK, just a few minutes, but I bet my wife I could do them both in an hour, I was looking to shave time) I tried this for the heck of it first. Got it off in seconds.

I've been meaning to show you this for a couple months now. Thanks for this thread, it was a big help.

natebg

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI LUX
Wingnut said:
...Once you have a few threads sticking past the outer race, you can thread on the old axle nut and tighten it down. As you tighten it, it presses the bearing onto the shaft. Once it bottoms out, remove the old axle nut & reinstal a new one (as per Bently), and torque it down to 129 ft/lbs: ...
Does anybody have the part number for the new nut that has to be replaced?
Thanks,

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
To install, wait till winter time. Don't turn the heat on in the garage. Keep bearing inside to stay warm. When ready, take bearing and place on axle stub ! Well that's how I did mine ! Sometimes cold helps .. BTW a couple of wacks with a chisel between the inner race and that rusty part will move it enough to get a puller on the meaty part of the race.

GolfTDIer

TDI
2000 GOLF sold, 2004 Jetta Sport
The rear axle of my car seems to be making abit of noise. It sounds like a wheel bearing. I pulled the tires,calipers,and dust cap off. Doesn't seem to be a lot of movement normally associated with bad wheel bearing. This may seem like a dumb question but r the bearings suppose to have grease in them? Mine look dry as a bone. R these bearings toast? They make a lot of noise when I spin the rotors.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
They are a sealed bearing, so will look dry from the outside. But if you hear a noise, then there is a good chance its the bearing. Mine sounded normal when I spinned it. But it made a horrible noise when I had someone drive the car while I walked slowly next to it. With wieght on, it makes a difference. After taking mine off, I noticed no signs of damage to the bearings or the races, but it sure quietened down the noise after the change.

GolfTDIer

TDI
2000 GOLF sold, 2004 Jetta Sport
Well they def make alot of noise. So I guess it's new bearing for me. Good thing there are some handy "how to's" on this site. haha. Thanks for the help.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Tx for the lesson! I did mine last Fri. all better

erickuhn

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Black
vwrobert51 said:
you do it the hard way, the whole rear bearing come as an asembled unit, just remove brake caliper and brake rotor remove four bolts that hold assy .to axle and remove backing plate, install new rear bearing unit and new bolts (supplyed in kit) reinstall backing plate and caliper, takes me less than 15 min per side, they were designed to be non servicable, kit may cost you a little more but it pays for it self in repair time. boy you sure have a heavy rust problem on that car.
Where did you get a full kit?

Thanks!

MCR

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Eric---If you don't get an answer, send him a PM. His public profile says he was on yesterday, so he might not have seen this yet.

sle91h

TDI
Jetta 2001, Silver
erickuhn said:
Where did you get a full kit?

Thanks!
Hey Eric,

I just priced out the rear bearings vs. the full kit...OMG! I can get both rear bearings for around $100 but at the dealer (which is where the kit is..) each side was $250!!! So doing it myself will save $400 in parts alone...

Darcy

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
I wouldn't bother with the full kit. Its not really hard at all to remove. Its literally as easy as Wingnut makes it look.

lespedeza

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, silver
DieselOx's recommendation with the clamps to help the gear puller grab the inner race did the trick. I second weasel, the full kit is not necessary, the hardest part of the job was getting the inner race off and if you use DieselOx's trick, you wont' have any problems. I actually used a plain old c-clamp, just needed an extra pair of hands to get it on.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
the hardest part of the job was getting the inner race off
I have a better, faster method to remove this race.
I own the offical VW tool to remove this race from the axle stub but I no longer use it. It takes me more time to set-up and use the tool than the method that I currently use.

Remove the bearing. Then I use my Dremmel tool to cut a grove into the race. Then a firm hit with a cold chissel / hammer and the race will crack at this time the race will slip off with just the use of finger tip effort.
To remove the race takes me less than 5 minutes.

barrfishe

TDI
2000 Golf and 2002 Beetle
Thanks for the "'write-up", Wingnut and others. Is the "dust cap" available as a seperate part number? Our 2002 Beetle TDI that we bought new came from the factory without dust caps on the rear hubs.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
dust cap

barrfishe said:
Is the "dust cap" available as a seperate part number? Our 2002 Beetle TDI that we bought new came from the factory without dust caps on the rear hubs.
Dust cap: 1J0-501-249-C

Eddlips

TDI
golf
To vwrobert: It is impossible to remove the four bolts that hold the spindle without removing the wheel bearing! If you have ever done this job you would know that the wheel bearing prevents you from removing the screws let alone finding a wrench that will fit behind it. Oh by the way it probably take you 15 minutes to remove the tire let alone the axle bearing.

iamstuffed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Blue Anthracite
iowacar said:
I am also wondering if anyone has tried this part? Looks like I need a new bearing as well. Thanks
I bought one and will report back whenever I install it. I'm going to try rotating and balancing the tires first though, since that's an easy test!

FredGard

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2004, Blue
Thanks Wingnut for a great write up and pictures. I used a long cold chisel to start the race and then a two arm puller. It really was a simple procedure.

iowacar

TDI
2000 Jetta
iowacar said:
I am also wondering if anyone has tried this part? Looks like I need a new bearing as well. Thanks
Just an update, I installed one on the right rear wheel a month ago and it works great. Today just finished installing another one on the left rear wheel.

friech

TDI
2002 Jetta Manual (formerly and Auto) transmission
iowacar said:
Just an update, I installed one on the right rear wheel a month ago and it works great. Today just finished installing another one on the left rear wheel.
I second this. I also replaced one side. The fit was perfect

brent_strong

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Just ordered the parts from tdiparts.com...

Quick question though. How are all of you keeping the hub from turning when loosening/tightening the nut?

MCR

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
brent_strong said:
Quick question though. How are all of you keeping the hub from turning when loosening/tightening the nut?
Are you talking about the big nut for the half-shaft? You've basically got two choices, but I only recommend one.

The stupid way to do it is use an air impact wrench with the car up in the air. It works, but it transmits all the torque through the CV joints and into the transmission. That's bad.

The right way is to loosen it before you take off the wheel and before you jack up the car. This way, the torque is reacted through the wheel and tire and into the road. You can use an air impact wrench, or a big breaker bar. (I usually end up with a 5-foot long cheater bar if can't borrow an air impact wrench.)

I usually torque it by hand---as the last step with the car back on the ground and the wheel in place.