www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old November 16th, 2006, 19:29   #16
burpod
teh stallionz!!1

Default fm100 installed on the golf now

i just installed the same setup in my golf at 21500 miles. it went a lot smoother second time around.

the mann pre-filter doesn't have any nubs on it, and the smallest spring clamp i've found doesn't clamp hard enough i think. it leaked on my jetta. the smallest screw clamps i found got all ovally when tightened to that small diameter and also caused leaks. so for the golf install i wrapped the end of the hoses going into the pre-filter with electrical tape to add diameter and used the screw clamps there - works perfect and no leaks.

i also got the teflon tape done better for the NPT bards and side-load heater going into the fm100 head. first time i did it, i wrapped the tape the wrong way so as i screwed them in the tape starting bunching up, and would be a little leaky.

as for wiring up the heater, i think now i will mount a little switch under the steering wheel column with a relay to the battery. previously i thought of wiring it with a relay to the battery to the city lights in the eruoswitch or the window defroster or the FUNK switch (as the golf, being an auto tranny, has no ESP button).

here's a few pics of the install in the golf; the larger images can be viewed in my photo section. been almost about a week now and no signs of any leakage.

edit: i used 1/4" bolts, and the reason for the one large washer and then the thick smaller washer is because the holes for the head mount are too large for 1/4" bolts, so you need the larger washers to get a firm fit and not bend the washers at the same time. and there isn't really enough metal in that mounting spot to use any bolts larger than 1/4" IMO.

filing and holes for the fm100 head mount:

the combination of bolts, washers, nuts i used (stainless steel except the 2 thick washers are zinc plated):

the whole setup:

close-up of the pre-filter:

and another pic of the head:

88 scirocco
AHU 2056vl build... delayed...05 jetta tdi & 06 golf tdi

Last edited by burpod; November 16th, 2006 at 19:36.
burpod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 17:37   #17
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature
Wink

VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 17:38   #18
jwlionking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45/42/38 50000 miles

VERY nice setup! How often will you change your filter?

TDI Trusted Mechanics
Drivbiwire's Break-in Rules
jwlionking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:33   #19
weasel
Veteran Member

Are you not worried about the filter plugging in the winter ?? I only ask because there does not seem to be any provision for warmed fuel to be returned to the filter ( like the thermostatic tee did on the OEM filter ). On my setup, I managed to plumb in a tee into the suction side of the filter so some fuel would return to the filter, but most would go back to the tank.
91 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:43   #20
burpod
teh stallionz!!1

if the fuel has already gelled, the T-valve isn't going to help. the fm100 has a side-load heater option to heat the fuel in the filter when it's cold out. as far as i know, the Mk5's did away with the T-valve altogether...
88 scirocco
Old December 13th, 2006, 19:50   #21
weasel
Veteran Member

I wasn't worried about gelling, I was worried about clogging due to fuel clouding. Maybe I am just worried for nothing, but at the temps either of us could experience, I thought it prudent to circulate some warmed fuel back through the filter.
91 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
Old December 13th, 2006, 19:55   #22
weasel
Veteran Member

I just realised that you are using a 5u filter, I am using a 2u. Might be an issue for me and not you. Electric heater might be nice though. Would remove all doubt if you ever thought there was a gelling issue. Just turn it on and wait. Might avoid a trip to a heated garage ! Hmmmm, wonder if I can get a heater in mine ...
91 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
Old December 13th, 2006, 20:25   #23
burpod
teh stallionz!!1

the 5u filter i think is the better, less restrictive option. the 5u filter filters out 92-93% of 2u particles according to stanadynes papers... what size filter are you using? i'm using the larger 6". SUNRG did some tests as well as HermTDI and they felt the 2u filter was too restrictive... i personally have no data...
88 scirocco
Old December 14th, 2006, 04:38   #24
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 28mpg@74mph: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpod
the 5u filter i think is the better, less restrictive option. the 5u filter filters out 92-93% of 2u particles according to stanadynes papers... what size filter are you using? i'm using the larger 6". SUNRG did some tests as well as HermTDI and they felt the 2u filter was too restrictive... i personally have no data...
2u is more restrictive, but probably not too restrictive. the 6" 2u is probably less restrictive than the 4.3" 5u, but i concur, IMHO the 6" 5u is probably the best FM100 option for TDIs.

cheers!
Old December 14th, 2006, 19:25   #25
weasel
Veteran Member

Mine is a 2u Perma-Cool filter setup. I can't remember the size, but has to be near 6". The outer case of the filter seems to be near identical in size to the oil filter I use on my Mustang ( FL-1A, PH-8A etc ... )
91 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:58   #26
saepak77

Thanks for the info. I'll probably be doing me a FM-100 and a Mann Pre-Filter with in the next month or so. I'm not going to need to go with the heater since i'm down here in Houston, Tx. About how much room does the FM100 need? I'll be doing this in a 05.5 Jetta, so will try to take pics and post what i come up with for those that are thinking about it for the new design.
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:36   #27
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saepak77
Thanks for the info. I'll probably be doing me a FM-100 and a Mann Pre-Filter with in the next month or so. I'm not going to need to go with the heater since i'm down here in Houston, Tx. About how much room does the FM100 need? I'll be doing this in a 05.5 Jetta, so will try to take pics and post what i come up with for those that are thinking about it for the new design.
i do NOT recommend doing this on an A5. this is a replacement upgrade to an A4 filter which only filters to 58% @ 3-5 microns. the A5 features a new very upgraded filtration media that is over 95% efficient at 3-5 microns - and IMHO this excellent filter should not be replaced.

in your other thread you talked about adding a pre-filter / water-seperator before the OEM A5 filter and that seems reasonable in concept.

again, if it were my A5 i would NOT remove and replace the OEM fuel filter.
Old May 25th, 2007, 17:10   #28
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

SUNRG

Is it possible to put a MK V filter on a MK IV? I already on an FM100 on my PD (MK IV) but would that be an easy upgrade for others?

I was thinking about trying to wire my heater up to my rear defrost switch.
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 07:52   #29
SUNRG
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighassassin
SUNRG

Is it possible to put a MK V filter on a MK IV? I already on an FM100 on my PD (MK IV) but would that be an easy upgrade for others?

I was thinking about trying to wire my heater up to my rear defrost switch.
it's possible, but IMHO the FM100 is an easier upgrade, less expensive and probably even a little better filter. but since the A5 OEM and the FM100 are so close in filtration efficiency, IMHO it doesn't make sense to go from A5 to FM100 or from FM100 to A5.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 18:38   #30
MrErlo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: lifetime 45.52, best 61.18
Exclamation 3/8" flared or MPT??

quick question about the hose barb and the port plug.

i was just down at the hardware store, and no surprise... they didn't have the 3/8" - 5/16" hose barb i was looking for. so i guess my small local Ace Hardware didn't come thru for me, i'll have to do to Home Depot or Lowes. the question is, while i was there i tried both a 3/8" flared piece, and a 3/8th" MPT (which i assume meant male pipe type) piece. the flared piece seemed to loose, even if i were to apply some tape. the MPT seemed too tight, after about 3 complete turns it became much more difficult to turn and when removed appeared to have scratched a couple flecks of paint away from the inside of the FM-100 thread.

which of these fittings do you recommend? will the 3/8" MPT fit with just an appropriate amount more force?

hopefully Lowes will have that 3/8" -> 5/16" barb piece, and the 3/8" plugs...
MrErlo is offline   Reply With Quote