Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 - Emission System Protection

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

check this out. Mobil is releasing a 5W40 version of the oil released a year ago in Europe that is a 5W-30 viscosity.

5W-30 product:

I don't see any ratings apart from the newest MBz spec 229.51 (for DPF cars).

Oh, I see a typo below....it says 5W-30 and 5W-40 :confused:

Advanced Performance Synthetic Engine Oil

Product Description

Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 is an advanced performance synthetic engine oil designed to provide exceptional cleaning power, wear protection and overall performance. Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 is engineered to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of Car Emission Reduction Systems in both diesel and gasoline powered automobiles that require an oil that is approved against Daimler Chrysler's MB 229.51 specification.

Features and Benefits

Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 is made with a proprietary blend of high performance components formulated to be fully compatible with the latest Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF's) and Gasoline Catalytic Converters (CAT's). Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 has been designed to deliver outstanding performance and protection in conjunction with improved fuel economy. Key features and benefits include:

Features

Advantages and Potential Benefits
Low Ash Content Helps to reduce particulate build up in Diesel Particulate Filters
Low Sulphur and Phosphorous content Helps to reduce poisoning of Gasoline Catalytic Converters
Active cleaning agents Reduces deposits and sludge build-up to enable long and clean engine life
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Reduces oil ageing allowing extended drain interval protection
Low oil consumption Less hydrocarbon pollution
Enhanced frictional properties Greater fuel economy
Excellent low temperature capabilities Quick cold weather starting and ultra fast protection
Extended engine and electrical system life

Applications

Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 is approved against Daimler Chrysler MB 229.51.

It is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:

Daimler Chrysler MB 229.51

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40

SAE Grade 5W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 81.1
cSt @ 100ºC 13.35
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 167
Sulphated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 0.63
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, ASTM D4683 3,8
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -39
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 236
Density @ 15ºC, kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.85

Health and Safety

Based on available information, this product is not expected to produce adverse effects on health when used for the applications referred to above and the recommendations provided in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) are followed. MSDS's are available upon request through your sales contact office, or via the Internet. This product should not be used for purposes other than the applications referred to above. If disposing of used product, take care to protect the environment.

The Mobil logotype, the Pegasus design and "Mobil 1" are trademarks of Exxon Mobil Corporation, or one of its subsidiaries.

4-2006

Exxon Mobil Corporation
3225 Gallows Road
Fairfax, VA 22037
1-800-Mobil25 (662-4525)

Due to continual product research and development, the information contained herein is subject to change without notification.

Typical Properties may vary slightly. This product data sheet is based on global product data sheets for use with products purchased in the U.S.

© 2001 Exxon Mobil Corporation. All rights reserved.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IMO, the arrival of the oil is a very positive sign - - it means Mobil believes diesel autos will continue to be available into the future!

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Look at the specs for the 5w30, at 100C its actually closer to a 5w40. High HT/HS 3.58, Low ash...GREAT to see!

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
It's better!

Higher HT/HS (3.8 verses D1's 2.9), Lower Ash (.63 vs 1.5), AND long drain certification.

Currently the 5w40 has the MB 229.51 spec which exceeds those set for the NON-PD motors. The 5w30 has the VW 506.01/504 spec so we will see.

DB

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 (to become available in the USA on 5/15/06)

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 Emission System Protection (Europe, from 12/05)*
(isn't the 5W30 product available in the USA now? it does meet Volkswagen VW 504 00/507 00)

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wny_pat said:
Don't think so. They don't list it on the Mobil 1 site as one of their products.
Sorry, Pat, did not mean thru official channels. I think it was being imported thru private channels like the other 504/507 products.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Sleet said:
How would this compare with the new Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5w-40?
Better/Worse/Same?

-J
AFAIK, "new" Mobil1 turbo diesel 5w-40 = Delvac 1, so what DB said in post #5 should apply.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
Drivbiwire said:
It's better!

Higher HT/HS (3.8 verses D1's 2.9) ... The 5w30 has the VW 506.01/504 spec so we will see.

DB
FWIW...

This is a relatively light 40 weight (13.35 V@100c) - not a 30 weight oil.

The 507/504 acceptable HTHS range of 3.50 to 3.59. This oil's HTHS of 3.8 would be expected of a light synthetic 40 weight.

There is NO WAY the HTHS of D1 = 2.9. I don't know what it is but my guess would be in the 4.0 range. Probably over 4. I've never seen a synthetic 40 weight with an HTHS below 3.5.

506.01 oils have an upper HTHS limit of 3.4 (acceptable range = 2.9 to 3.4).

Cheers!

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Windward Petroleum in Manchester, NH has this oil listed in its database, but it's not in stock yet. Seems inevitable, though.

Sleet

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 98, black
Okay I finally decided today I wasn’t going to wait any longer it’s been 20k since the change and still no TDT at walmart.

I broke down today and stopped by two local oil distributors to get some Mobil TDT. I asked about this 5w-40 ESP and they both carry it in drums. One was supplying it to MB dealers and the other was sending it to the local vw dealer. I asked what the worst case scenario would be before they had it in single quart forms. Both said it would be within a couple of months.

So I might be switching over to it next oil change.

Since it’s been 20k since my last change I'm thinking about getting a UOA. Not to sure the best way to get it out of the engine since it's an A3 and I'll be draining it out of the bottom. Anyone done this before?

-J

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Sleet said:
Since it’s been 20k since my last change I'm thinking about getting a UOA. Not to sure the best way to get it out of the engine since it's an A3 and I'll be draining it out of the bottom. Anyone done this before?
It should be easy. Run the engine for a few minutes, at least, to get the oil warm and well-mixed. Start draining and catch some in a clean container. Pour that out and catch some more. Then transfer that to a UOA test-kit container.

Report your UOA results -- I for one would be interested in learning more about how well the Mobil 5w40 has held up during a 20k-mile oil change interval. I never went past 12k miles.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Windward Petroleum in Manchester, NH

They have a Florida branch toll free I think I will call them on Monday.

a 507 thats 5W40 sounds like it would be great for TDI PD

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sleet said:
I broke down today and stopped by two local oil distributors to get some Mobil TDT. I asked about this 5w-40 ESP and they both carry it in drums.
This is NOT the same oil as the 5W30 version and will NOT carry the needed VAG specs covering the newer cars. It may be fine for non PD earlier cars.

This oil is tailored to MBz cars using the newest pollution control technology. Re.: page 229.51

I do NOT believe the M1 5W30 ESP 504/507 oil is available anywhere in NAmerica. I think the Solaris is the only one (so far).

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just bought some ESP 5W-40 oil for my 2001 Golf. I called MobilExxon and they said it is just as good as the Diesel Truck oil for my car. The ESP is not API certified, at least it doesn't have any seal listing the engine approvals. I can still trade the ESP for the Diesel Truck oil. Opinions?

OilGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Mass. Wine Guy said:
I just bought some ESP 5W-40 oil for my 2001 Golf. I called MobilExxon and they said it is just as good as the Diesel Truck oil for my car. The ESP is not API certified, at least it doesn't have any seal listing the engine approvals. I can still trade the ESP for the Diesel Truck oil. Opinions?
"Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40 Formula M" is an oil that ExxonMobil developed specifically for Mercedes Benz (thus the Formula M) - 1 oil to cover all MB gassers and diesels. Despite no other registered specs, 229.51 is no slouch oil.

According to Mobil, Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 (CJ-4) (and with it a new Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 rebrand formulation) will be out shortly in July or so as stock turns over.

You can't go wrong with the current M1 TDT until the new CJ-4 Delvac 1 formulation comes out this summer.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Mass. Wine Guy said:
Wine Guy: It is Formula M, right?
1) post photos of the bottle, front and back, showing all specification met.
2) send a virgin oil sample in for analysis, to one of the better labs, and post the results
3) How much did you pay, and where can others get this oil? At a Mercedes dealership?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
OilGuy said:
"Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40 Formula M" is an oil that ExxonMobil developed specifically for Mercedes Benz (thus the Formula M) - 1 oil to cover all MB gassers and diesels. Despite no other registered specs, 229.51 is no slouch oil.

According to Mobil, Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 (CJ-4) (and with it a new Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 rebrand formulation) will be out shortly in July or so as stock turns over.

You can't go wrong with the current M1 TDT until the new CJ-4 Delvac 1 formulation comes out this summer.
When the CJ-4 Delvac 1 comes out I might switch to it from the CJ-4 Amsoil DEO I put in this last OC.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bob_Fout said:
When the CJ-4 Delvac 1 comes out I might switch to it from the CJ-4 Amsoil DEO I put in this last OC.
Delvac 1 changing to CJ-4 will be like Macintosh moving to OS X, I hope -- and not like Coca-Cola switching to New Coke.

Mobil's roll-out of Turbo Diesel Truck was a cluster-f***, so I hope they at least get the product right.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, the oil I bought is labeled as Formula M. I swear, it lists absolutely no certifications whatsoever, other than text saying it meets Daimler Chrysler's MB 229.51 specification. It cost me around $33 for six quarts at Altman Distributing in Ipswich, MA. The Turbo Diesel Truck oil was the same price.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you think the ESP M Formula oil I got is ok for my 2001 Golf TDI or should I trade it fr the TDT oil?

OilGuy said:

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mass. Wine Guy said:
Do you think the ESP M Formula oil I got is ok for my 2001 Golf TDI or should I trade it fr the TDT oil?
Either one should do a great job for you. But it would be educational if you gave the ESP Formula M a try for a couple oil-change intervals, with virgin oil and used oil testing.

Over at BITOG there has been some discussion of this oil, comparing it to Amsoil DEO 5w40. But no one has posted a virgin-oil analysis yet. You might contribute to the knowledge base by having the ESP tested.