Ominous Results of a VAG-COM Scan

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
So I thought I'd play around with my new VAG-COM this morning, and I ran a scan for fault codes. To my dismay, the engine module came back with a fault code:

013112 - Control Circuit for Glow Plug Controller 1: Electrical Malfunction
P3338-000 - - - - Intermittent

Is this something to be concerned about? In general, do VW dealers get upset if you tell them you did a scan on VAG-COM and found a fault?

(I also got an "implausible signal" code from my window regulator switch on the rear passenger and driver's side. I'm not particularly worried about this).

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Thanks very much.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>In general, do VW dealers get upset if you tell them you did a scan on VAG-COM and found a fault?<<

Yes!

Was there a Check Engine light ??? If yes, did you clear it ?? Hopefully not, so that next time the car's in for something you can have them "fix" it under warranty !!! (Without charging you a diagnostic fee !!!!!) How many miles on the car ?? Please be aware that your car requires oil conforming to VW spec 505.01 - hopefully your dealer's aware of this...

All the best,

Yuri.

PS: this is really nothing to worry about if your car's still under warranty...

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
Thanks for your response. There was no check engine light, and the car runs fine -- at least it appears that way to me (this is my first diesel). I'm all up-to-speed on the oil requirements, etc. My question is just whether this is the kind of problem that can cause harm to the engine over the long term, even if the car runs fine. Or whether I should just forget about it, and only worry if I have problems starting, etc.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Frankly, you could rip all that glowplug crap out of the motor and it wouldn't know the difference.

GPs turn on below about 40F to help with starting. They stay on after startup to aid in combustion emissions for the first 2 minutes or so. After that they are dead weight.

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
TDIs are famous for throwing this CEL. My 2000 Beetle lives to do this. Basically you have one of 2 things going on:
1) A bad/intermittent electrical connection problem with the wiring harness to the glow plug (s).
2) A glow plug that has gone bad.

The car can run forever with either problem going on. It's not a big deal.

What we have done with the non-PD 1.9 TDI is to take the plug connections(like a spark plu g cap) off the glow plugs, clean the connectors and add dielectric grease in the cap and reconnect.

Do a search as to how to check to see if it is a glow plug gone bad. Easy to check with an ohmeter.

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
Thanks for the information. I'll do a search for checking the glowplugs. Much appreciated.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
TDI 4 RD said:
Thanks for the information. I'll do a search for checking the glowplugs. Much appreciated.
Reset the codes, drive the car, then do a Re-Scan...
Codes came back? Go to the the Dealer.
Codes did not return? Fugettabout it!

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
Tim Birney said:
Reset the codes, drive the car, then do a Re-Scan...
Codes came back? Go to the the Dealer.
Codes did not return? Fugettabout it!
I'll try this first, thanks. I've saved the log of the scan, in case that's needed later on.

TDI73

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Same here:
1 Fault Found:
P3338 - 000 - - - Intermittent
it's 2006 Jetta with 14000 km ....... cleared the code..... did not come back will keep an eye on it :)

jklmv

TDI
Jetta 2005.5, Golf 2001
I have had the same problem. Have reset the code several times and then took it to the dealer. The dealers response is that this is normal. What do you think?

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
I guess I joined the club :-(

1 Fault Found:
P3338 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 36387 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 07:11:20

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1050 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 11.55 V
Bin. Bits: 00001100
Temperature: 15.3°C
Bin. Bits: 10110000

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
jklmv said:
I have had the same problem. Have reset the code several times and then took it to the dealer. The dealers response is that this is normal. What do you think?
Hahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!

Dealers,..............hahaahaahaaaaaaaaaa!!!

It's normal for your car to throw codes,............haahaahaaaaaa!!!

DrewD

Veteran Member
If code shows up again without a CEL, pull a wire to a glowplug so you can get a MIL and then take it to the dealer. The lazy arse dealers usually won't fix anything unless you have an lit idiot light on the dash.

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
Maloosheck - Sorry about the code! All I can add is that I cleared the error and the code has never come back.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
TDI 4 RD said:
Maloosheck - Sorry about the code! All I can add is that I cleared the error and the code has never come back.
I am not very concerned with the code right now. The engine seems to be perfectly fine. As opposed to clutch/tranny...