www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:55   #1
duckhunter854

Fuel Economy: 50/43/38
Default Winnebago LeSharo conversion

I am looking at purchasing an older 1984-1990 Lesharo RV. This supposedly on a Eurovan frame and currently uses an underpowered 75hp renault diesel. Was thinking about converting to tdi technology. Any ideas on the best engine/tranny to use?
Old May 7th, 2006, 19:04   #2
bhtooefr
ToofTek Inventor

It's on a Renault Transit frame...

As I understand, the drivetrain is also used in the Jeep Cherokee diesel.

I'd be looking at what they use in Jeeps. I think that's things like Cummins 4BTs with Chevy trannies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 14:11   #3
McBrew
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/50/44 (usually running B100)

After the LaSharo, they made a similar model called t he Rialta. It is built on a VW chassis with a V6 gas engine. I have imagined how nice it would be to have a TDI (chipped) in one of those!
McBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 22:34   #4
karlaudi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: (2002) 41 mpg @ 85 mph +/- 10 mph @ 3,100 rpm with A/C on @ 90 degrees F, fully loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckhunter854
I am looking at purchasing an older 1984-1990 Lesharo RV. This supposedly on a Eurovan frame and currently uses an underpowered 75hp renault diesel. Was thinking about converting to tdi technology. Any ideas on the best engine/tranny to use?
My Father-in-Law owns nothing but Renaults and has, or did have, a Renault Dealer as a client.

It is a long shot, but give me details about this vehicle, especially the motor and transmission and I will see what maybe available. It will take some time.

Check with Renault sources on line and check out eBay in France, Britain, and Germany for parts or upgrades for your motor.

I once compared my Father-in-law’s R21 diesel to a German spec R21 turbo diesel my Brother-in-law had. The turbo was nearly a direct bolt on.

Cheers!

2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDi (new 04/2012)
karlaudi is offline   Reply With Quote