Bleed brakes procedure A3

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
I've looked and looked and have not been able to find a "how to". Can someone give me the low down, I have tools and a 14 yr old son, (slave), and 2 pints of fluid for the job. Someone once told me to put a block under the brake pedal so when pumping, it doesn't go all the way to the floor??? Also, can the old stuff go in with the waste oil? Thanks

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
RR, LR, /RF, LF, Clutch is the order. Just make sure the slave does not lift his foot while the bleeder is open.

I routinely put it with my waste oil. Most autoparts places that let you dump will let you dump your own container.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
I take it once I get in there the bleed nipple will be obvious to see? Can I leave the cover off of the brake fluid resirvoir when doing this? Thanks again and again and again......

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
paramedick said:
You'll see a bleeder valve on the back side of the tranny. May have a little rubber cap on it.
Having an extra long length of tubing helps avoid making a mess with the clutch bleeder valve, too. The stock 6" length of tubing that came with my Motiv bleeder wasn't quite long enough to reach down the back of the transmission case to the draining receptacle.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
bmike said:
I take it once I get in there the bleed nipple will be obvious to see? Can I leave the cover off of the brake fluid resirvoir when doing this? Thanks again and again and again......
Not unless you want to see a fountain of brake fluid when you press the pedal!!!:eek: . Cap must be on, and reservoir filled to the full line. Your clutch pedal will stay on the floor. You must pull it up by hand. Close the bleeder first.

My brake fluid drain device is a large glass pickle jar with a 3 foot piece of tubing siliconed to a hole in the lid. Works great.

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
09 B-graphite sedan 6-sp (Bridgewater- NJ)
I use a miti-vac,
but if you use the pump and hold-it. Put a 2x4 under the pedal so you don't go to the floor. What this prevents is putting the master cylinder in a area where it has not been for a very long time. There may be some corrosion and if you let the pedal go to the bottom you may rip the rubber inside with the piston.

Also the rear wheels should not hang as the proportioning valve will limit flow to the rear wheel pistons.