www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 19th, 2015, 10:45   #9451
JTRI

After staying at $2.79 for weeks, diesel jumped to $2.89. Meanwhile, RUG has gone up $0.25/gallon over the same time period
JTRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 17:26   #9452
Sinner
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.2/43.7/37.9

RUG prices are creeping up. DD are staying the same or going down a little.

Now,
RUG: $2.15 (from low of $1.99)
DD: $ 2.57 (it was $2.89 when RUG was at $1.99)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:19   #9453
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
The longer term issue there is that the regulators will slow down rail shipments by limiting the number of oil tank cars per run. Most of the cars in that crash were the new "safer" design.
This crude is far more dangerous than the other types of crude that has for decades been transported by rail. The industry is fighting tooth and nail not to be required to use the thicker metal construction transporters that the regulators asked for.

For the record, these cars were not up to the engineering standard that the regulators asked for.. But they were made from a thicker material than was used in older constructed tanker cars. A thicker material which is better than what had been used before, but still not up to a thicker standard that might have actually prevented this fireball from happening upon crashing.....

Sadly, I believe for the engineers to be listened to we are going to have to have a larger size town leveled with many more people dieing from the blast when these things crash and jump tracks before the industry is forced to build them to the safer heavier standard the regulators asked for...
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:23   #9454
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Reports being presented in the media here were that these were the newer safer train cars, then again I don't put a lot of stock in the news anymore, it's pretty much just toeing the line.

Diesel here has now risen along with gasoline. Not sure how this equates to the rest of the country since conventions are different state to state but in Iowa the Plus unleaded is always the cheapest fuel, RUG is next above that and then of course there's what they sell as premium. I put this out there because I know from travel that in some states the Plus is considered a better grade than RUG since the octane is supposedly higher, but here in Iowa the Plus is the cheapest fuel.

D2 had been at $2.55 for over a week. Plus and RUG had risen some without any impact on D2 until this week when it also went up along with a second bump in price to gasoline products.

As for keystone there are people here opposed to it in a significant way. Personally I think it's premature to be considering a pipeline when in fact oil prices could remain low for some time and could go much lower too. By the time Keystone is finished there might not be any product in the Bakkan to be pumped given the break-even and depletion rates on existing wells. It could end up being a huge misallocation of resources. That doesn't even address whether a private entity ought to be able to access eminent domain for a profitable venture, which is a very sticky subject here in Iowa and something I'm opposed to.

Plus $2.16
D2 $2.66

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 17:18   #9455
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

For Iowa the plus is with 10% ethanol. Most other states where I travel, the regular is the alcohol contains fuel. In NC, you have to go to mid grade to get something without alcohol.
Old February 20th, 2015, 17:45   #9456
Sinner
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.2/43.7/37.9

I thought all grades had ethanol

Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 19:29   #9457
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Only regular in NC and SC. Oh and e85 of course
Old February 21st, 2015, 07:26   #9458
azthegame
Veteran Member

Here, RUG is about 2.19 and diesel can be found at 2.46. Less than a 30 cent difference finally!
azthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 07:40   #9459
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
I thought all grades had ethanol

They do where I live in Alabama. Every pump has a sticker saying all grades contain (or may contain) up to 10% ethanol.

My area is close to the ocean so we have a ton of personal watercraft being towed around, so many gas stations also sell midgrade e-free for jet skis, boats and cars. But it's very expensive. For example, the BP nearest me sells midgrade for $2.259 but their e-free midgrade is $2.899. I think the cheapest e-free is $2.699, but that's still a bit higher than regular at $2.129.

Diesel is $2.499 to $2.999 here.
Old February 21st, 2015, 07:59   #9460
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Diesel is still settling a few pennies with some stations at $2.59 but most at $2.79. RUG has started rising from a low around $1.79 to an average of $2.09. Still the best spread I have seen in a long time.

Jason
SilverGhost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 09:36   #9461
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

According to AAA, the spread between RUG and ULSD was 87 cents on January 14th.

It was still 77 cents on January 29th.

Yesterday, February 20th, it was 58 cents.

Parity by May 10th is still my target, at least in some states, but it could be late April.
'03 Golf with 703k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+, TDT/Delvac1
TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking TDI Search Engine https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...44:_idbzjdyxdm
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 10:02   #9462
moszzer

About a month ago I saw diesel for $2.00 and I though I was pumping gasoline into my car and freaked out but then a look closer and there it was, a sign, that read "Diesel $2.00 a gallon". Currently diesel has gone up and now it is around $2.40 - $2.75. I forgot to mention that this is in northwest Ohio.
moszzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 11:00   #9463
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

RUG jumped another dime at a few stations, and I expect other stations to start following suit. Diesel is still steady, but that may start changing at any point.

Jason
SilverGhost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 12:52   #9464
ATR
Veteran Member

Filled up today at $2.99.

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 20:08   #9465
gulfcoastguy
Veteran Member

It's creeping back up. It was $2.45 at the cheap place today and going up about 10 cents a week.
gulfcoastguy is offline   Reply With Quote