www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 25th, 2010, 07:40   #3451
Derrel H Green
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly
Question Question

Simply put, how do we as individuals determine how much fuel is sold at any given
station and whether they have sufficient turnover so their fuel is not in fact 'old' diesel.

We cannot park outside the property and observe to see how many
vehicles stop and fill up to ascertain how much fuel is being sold.
Even though I'm retired, I do not have that much time to waste.

It would seem to me that the stations with the lower prices might be moving more fuel
because money talks and therefore the fuel there would be 'fresher' don't you think?
Also, how many trucks stop and fuel up? Some large over-the-road rigs can take on as
much as 300 gallons at one time which would be the same as perhaps 15 to 20 cars.

Also, just because the station appears to be clean above ground does
not mean the same is true below ground in their storage tanks.

Somethings to consider don't you think?

Dynoed 12-01-12 211 HP, 386 ft/lb torque at the wheels.
View my MBZ E-320 CDI Fuelly: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/E320
Compare our previous VW TDI JSW DSG Fuelly : http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/Jetta
Derrel H Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:38   #3452
Honeydew
Veteran Member

Diesel drivers and possibly many g@sser drivers would be pleased if the fuel station signs looked more like this:

I cut throttle and snapped the pic of a local fuel dock sign yesterday on our way back in from the island.

Paid $3.06 this A.M. to fill the TDI. I believe it's this organization lobbying for more equitable and fair fuel tax for diesel fuel.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 10:06   #3453
TDI2Fan
Veteran Member

Default Relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrel H Green

Simply put, how do we as individuals determine how much fuel is sold at any given
station and whether they have sufficient turnover so their fuel is not in fact 'old' diesel.

We cannot park outside the property and observe to see how many
vehicles stop and fill up to ascertain how much fuel is being sold.
Even though I'm retired, I do not have that much time to waste.

It would seem to me that the stations with the lower prices might be moving more fuel
because money talks and therefore the fuel there would be 'fresher' don't you think?
Also, how many trucks stop and fuel up? Some large over-the-road rigs can take on as
much as 300 gallons at one time which would be the same as perhaps 15 to 20 cars.

Also, just because the station appears to be clean above ground does
not mean the same is true below ground in their storage tanks.

Somethings to consider don't you think?

This goes to developing a relationship with the place that you purchase fuel. I know the supplier of my local fuel stop (Southern States). Also, I confirmed with the distributor that they deliver as much as the station told me they do. My station has its tanks filled three (3) times a week! It also happens to be the most thrifty of the stations in my area.

As a COOP, Southern States is about relationships. In almost ten years and many Diesel machines, I have not gotten a bad tank of fuel and I have not gotten more than a couple droplets of water out of the fuel filter when drained.

I have not purchased fuel from a "gas station" in a very long time.

I do not believe that I am in the minority on this.
TDI2Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 10:08   #3454
TDI2Fan
Veteran Member

Default Non-Ehtanol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew
Diesel drivers and possibly many g@sser drivers would be pleased if the fuel station signs looked more like this:

I cut throttle and snapped the pic of a local fuel dock sign yesterday on our way back in from the island.

Paid $3.06 this A.M. to fill the TDI. I believe it's this organization lobbying for more equitable and fair fuel tax for diesel fuel.
As I understand it, "Marathon" is the retailer that sells non-ethanol fuel as standard.
Old April 25th, 2010, 12:42   #3455
lghf
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '03 Jetta GL
Fuel Economy: 42mpg

$3.059 at Quick Chek in Saugerties
lghf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 14:38   #3456
TDI2Fan
Veteran Member

ULSD - $2.899 @Southern States by Shannon Airport; B5 - $3.099 @Quarles Shell, at I-95 & Route 3.

Last edited by TDI2Fan; April 26th, 2010 at 03:49.
Old April 25th, 2010, 14:46   #3457
boutmuet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34-40 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed
Wholesale prices in the US are in line with wholesale prices elsewhere in the world.
Yes but the reason for the higher prices recently is because China and India have been buying more oil. Taking up more of the oil supply.

boutmuet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 14:55   #3458
anahata
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 60/44/37

I hear that speculation on demand (not exactly the same as demand) is causing much of the spike and that current supplies are abundant.
'01 Golf TDI GLS 5sp, 4d, reflex silver, Monsoon, CD, tape, 110,000 mi. Old Navy CCV, 2016 Bilstein TC's, VR6 springs, TT bushings, HD upper strut mounts, 10mm front lift spacers, Panzer plate, Ventectomy, coolant migration mod. MN mag oil plug, 5 brake light mod. B5 or less only, Delvac ESP - (the basics)
anahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 15:00   #3459
boutmuet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34-40 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by anahata
I hear that speculation on demand (not exactly the same as demand) is causing much of the spike and that current supplies are abundant.
That's happening as well. Notice whenever you see reports the economy is improving in some respect oil prices rise on speculation the economy will improve as a whole.

boutmuet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 16:15   #3460
Derrel H Green
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly
Thumbs down What a Surprise

Went out for a late Brunch and passed by a local Chevron in Wildomar at about 11:30 AM.

After eating, did a little driving to note how far off my odometer is by using the
mileposts on I-15, and returned home going by that same Chevron station.

During the two hours or so, the price of D2 had gone from $3.199 to $3.299. Ten cents in two hours?
And on a Sunday? Give me a break. Is this what we are in store for?

Dynoed 12-01-12 211 HP, 386 ft/lb torque at the wheels.
View my MBZ E-320 CDI Fuelly: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/E320
Compare our previous VW TDI JSW DSG Fuelly : http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/Jetta
Derrel H Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 19:10   #3461
jimnms
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrel H Green

Simply put, how do we as individuals determine how much fuel is sold at any given station and whether they have sufficient turnover so their fuel is not in fact 'old' diesel.
When I worked at an airport, we had to keep tabs on how much we sold and try to estimate how much we'd need to keep.

I'm sure "gas" stations do the same. The station should only store enough fuel that they estimate they're going to sell. If they fill their tanks every time they buy fuel, and the price goes down and they've only sold 1/4 of that tank, they'll lose money if they lower their pump prices.
jimnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 12:35   #3462
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
That was very enlightening. I remember reading about Flying J selling off all of some business pipelines? And shortly thereafter the price shot up. That must've been the management team.
__. Also, there's been a big change in the trucking business over the years. Back in the day, (grey hair talking here), a lot of truckers were "owner-operators"; a big company would hire them "$.40 a mile to haul this load to Dallas". If the trucker could refuel in Dallas at a place that had fuel priced a few cents lower, he put that money in his pocket. Now, all the big companies have run the independent drivers/trucks out of the market to limit competition. Now the driver doesn't care -- if the truck stop has a nicer restaurant, or hotter hookers, or more luxurious showers, etc., that's the place to stop. When you fuel up, you just turn in the receipt to the company anyway. (Plus, the big trucking companies have discounts with the truck stops so they get the reduced price, it's just that we don't.)

__. There are many little things going on out there. But REAL competition would be good for us ... but it's' not going to happen.
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:04   #3463
goldgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnms
When I worked at an airport, we had to keep tabs on how much we sold and try to estimate how much we'd need to keep.

I'm sure "gas" stations do the same. The station should only store enough fuel that they estimate they're going to sell. If they fill their tanks every time they buy fuel, and the price goes down and they've only sold 1/4 of that tank, they'll lose money if they lower their pump prices.
I asked a local station how prices are set, this was Shell. She said prices are faxed to her daily on what to charge. So the owner doesn't own the fuel in the ground, Shell still does, till the point of it being put in your car. So Shell can change prices at anytime, not just on delivery. This practice may not be true with spot market/private gas owners.

Gary
goldgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:56   #3464
ott88

TDI(s): none

$3.079 at BP today.
ott88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:41   #3465
Diesel Fuel

$2.899 at a Hess station in Virginia Beach 4/27.
Diesel Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote