www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 16:28   #3436
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutmuet
(snip) The question is why would you buy a membership to Sam's Club to spend more on the same fuel product. Even ARCO has cheaper or comparable prices for gasoline.
__. Not "Sams" but corporate. A new "super" Waw-Mott opened up in my little town just before Christmas; it has a "Murphy" station attached. They came out with low prices and diesel was $.20 less than the going rate (a Hess just across the road/exit from the Interstate and a local "No-Name" station). Prices at New Year were about $2.48. The other places around town matched the Murphy price. Now the Murphy price is drifting up; it's now $2.94 (the Hess and local station are $2.97); a Wilco-Hess in Kinston NC (about 50 miles away) is at $2.91.

__. It's all a "how much can we screw them for" issue; also, there's little competition. Everybody down here buys their fuel (diesel and gas) from the same couple of distributors.

__. From '02 (my first diesel year) until about '08, Flying J was consistently the lowest price I ever saw fuel. It was usually enough cents lower than anything around to make it worth looking at (even if the performance I usually got was crap). But stations near to it would often come near to matching their prices with good quality fuel. Then we hit the perfect storm a couple of years ago - US ULSD could be shipped to Europe and sold there for the first time, China and other Asian countries started buying up diesel, and refiners were feeling the squeeze from N American regs, making the competion less. About that time, "Jay" who founded "Flying J" and made the business on low fuel prices but high profit on other truckers' services killed himself in a plane crash and a "management team" came in to run things; within a few months, Flying J was in bankruptcy and the first thing that they did was jack up prices to higher-than-local -- and, since there was no competition from Flying J anymore, all the local prices eased way up from where they'd been and Flying J prices floated on up even more with them. That's what happened to Flying J.

__. In January, it looked like we'd be flushing our toilets with D2 by spring - a sudden cold snap actually burned up a bit of the suprlus as heating fuel on the East Coast - but there is still a glut. If there were any effective competition, prices would be falling like Tiger Woods's girlfriends' panties. It's the old story, the gummint is helping us where we don't need help and not helping where we do and in the process, we're all getting screwed.

__. The speculation thing is hurting too. Ever noticed that if oil goes up $4 a barrel, the retail price of D2 goes up $.20 overnight, then another $.05 over the next week; but when crude falls $4 a barrel, the price ambles down $.04 over the next two weeks? So, "Big Oil" is using the prices driven by speculators to justify stuffing it to us again.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 18:23   #3437
boutmuet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34-40 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrGutWrench
__. The speculation thing is hurting too. Ever noticed that if oil goes up $4 a barrel, the retail price of D2 goes up $.20 overnight, then another $.05 over the next week; but when crude falls $4 a barrel, the price ambles down $.04 over the next two weeks? So, "Big Oil" is using the prices driven by speculators to justify stuffing it to us again.
I just got my first diesel in May 2009 and the lowest price I paid for diesel here in California was $2.399 the first fill up of that car but I remember the price of D2 shooting up quickly after that. I believe it went up to around 2.69 shortly after that at that same station a week or two later.

As for oil speculation I know countries like China and India are building supplies of oil reserves and many speculators blame that for the high costs of oil. But it does appear that at least here in the US oil costs don't seem to be in line with market fundamentals.

boutmuet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 19:32   #3438
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~39 mpg :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrGutWrench
That's what happened to Flying J.
That was very enlightening. I remember reading about Flying J selling off all of some business — pipelines? And shortly thereafter the price shot up. That must've been the management team.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 23:27   #3439
jimnms
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
“Now tell me why all the truck stops that years ago were the bargain bins for D2 are so darn expensive. Used to be I could routinely trust the Flying J to be the cheapest on my travels. Now, they're often the most expensive. Same with Pilot and Love's. There's a Love's in Canton, Miss that wants $3.149 for D2, while just about 10 miles down the road in Jackson the Kroger was selling it for just $2.759. Even across the highway from that aforementioned Love's, D2 is 10-15˘ lower usually. So what gives?
I think I passed that Kroger today, it's the onejust South of the VW dealership, and it's still at $2.75.

I had to go to Jackson today, like I do every Tuesday and Thursday, but I went early to take care of some other business rather than making an extra trip on another day. I had enough fuel to get me to Jackson, but not enough to get home. I used to fill up at the Petro on Gallatan St. just off I-55. It was the cheapest price around, the pumps are clean and they have free air if you need it. It used to be 20-40 cents cheaper for me to fill up in Jackson, then Sprawl-Mart opened up a Murphy here and thee situation reversed, it was now 20-40 cents cheaper here than Jackson.

Then several months ago it started flip flopping. Some times it would be cheaper here, sometimes cheaper in Jackson.

Before I left home I checked gaspricewatch.com to see the diesel prices in Jackson since all of the truck stops update their prices regularly, and they were all showing $3.04. I drove by the local Kroger so I could see if I should fill up here or Jackson. It was $2.85 at my local Kroger ($2.75 with my 10 cent discount), so I filled up here.

Then I passed by that Kroger I was a bit ticked off when I saw that they had $2.75 diesel. I might just start filling up there from now on even though it's a few miles out of my way. If only I could see their price before leaving town to know which one is cheaper. I might try getting their phone number and calling them when I need to fill up again.
jimnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:30   #3440
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutmuet
As for oil speculation I know countries like China and India are building supplies of oil reserves and many speculators blame that for the high costs of oil. But it does appear that at least here in the US oil costs don't seem to be in line with market fundamentals.
Wholesale prices in the US are in line with wholesale prices elsewhere in the world.

On another note, often when a nation builds up huge stockpiles of strategic commodities, it is in preparation for waging war.
'03 Golf with 726k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+, TDT/Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 05:15   #3441
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnms
Then I passed by that Kroger I was a bit ticked off when I saw that they had $2.75 diesel. I might just start filling up there from now on even though it's a few miles out of my way. If only I could see their price before leaving town to know which one is cheaper. I might try getting their phone number and calling them when I need to fill up again.
Oh yeah, I've played that game quite a few times. Good luck calling, a lot of places won't divulge prices over the phone.

Another low-price hotspot to check in the area is the Kroger in Clinton on US-80 off the Springridge Rd exit. The Kroger used to be right by the interstate, but it moved to the old K-Mart location a few blocks away, so there's two Kroger gas stations. One next to the exit and one in front of the new store. The one by the store has diesel, although the last time I was there it was stickered for LSD and not ULSD. I don't mind running LSD in my '05 so that isn't a problem. Either the Clinton or the I-55 locations will have the lowest prices in the metro area that I've found.

Also along US-80 is an Orbit and another Murphy USA that are also pretty competitive.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:39   #3442
Derrel H Green
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly
Question Have You Tried

Quote:
I had to go to Jackson today, like I do every Tuesday and Thursday, but I went early to take care of some other business rather than making an extra trip on another day.

this site for fuel pricing?

http://www.mississippigasprices.com/

Depending on how active members are in the area posting prices, it might be of some help?

Don't know the names of the smaller towns in your area,
but do a search and see what you come up with.

Good luck calling stations and getting any info by phone.

HTHs

Dynoed 12-01-12 211 HP, 386 ft/lb torque at the wheels.
View my MBZ E-320 CDI Fuelly: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/E320
Compare our previous VW TDI JSW DSG Fuelly : http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/Jetta
Derrel H Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:49   #3443
Parva

Here's a few websites for checking fuel prices:
They all work... today anyway

http://www.gasbuddy.com/GB_Map_Gas_Prices.aspx

http://www.automotive.com/gas-prices/index.html

http://gasprices.mapquest.com

http://www.motortrend.com/gas_prices/index.html

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com
Parva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:49   #3444
nj1266
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf

If members had a choice between a station with a low price but low turnover of its diesel fuel and a station with a higher price and high turnover of its fuel, then which one will you choose?

I will choose the latter everytime, but that is only me.
nj1266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:43   #3445
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrel H Green

Depending on how active members are in the area posting prices, it might be of some help?
Don't know the names of the smaller towns in your area,
but do a search and see what you come up with.
Good luck calling stations and getting any info by phone.
HTHs
I'm active on this site. There's also http://www.jacksongasprices.com/ for just the Jackson area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1266
If members had a choice between a station with a low price but low turnover of its diesel fuel and a station with a higher price and high turnover of its fuel, then which one will you choose?

I will choose the latter everytime, but that is only me.
I'd pick the one that balances price and turnover.

Edit to add: if it was just one or the other, I'd choose high turnover, too. In my old 00 Golf I had a knack for finding bad diesel everywhere I went, but in this 05 I seem to do better despite stopping at some iffy places in the past.

Last edited by Tom Servo; April 23rd, 2010 at 11:47.
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:16   #3446
jimnms
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Another low-price hotspot to check in the area is the Kroger in Clinton on US-80 off the Springridge Rd exit. The Kroger used to be right by the interstate, but it moved to the old K-Mart location a few blocks away, so there's two Kroger gas stations. One next to the exit and one in front of the new store. The one by the store has diesel, although the last time I was there it was stickered for LSD and not ULSD. I don't mind running LSD in my '05 so that isn't a problem. Either the Clinton or the I-55 locations will have the lowest prices in the metro area that I've found.

Also along US-80 is an Orbit and another Murphy USA that are also pretty competitive.
When I got my car I did scout the old Clinton Kroger and discovered they don't have diesel. I know where the new Kroger is, I've driven past it, but I haven't stopped there. On Tuesdays I usually leave Jackson at 4:30, which gets me out of Jackson before the traffic, but puts me in Clinton just in time for their rush hour. On Thursday I leave between 8:00pm and 8:30pm, and I think the Kroger fuel stations close at 9:00pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrel H Green
I used to check that one too, but the updates weren't recent and most people only bother to post the gas prices. The station with the cheapest gas price should also have the cheapest diesel price, but that's not always the case.
jimnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:37   #3447
Tom Servo
Veteran Member

Quote:
When I got my car I did scout the old Clinton Kroger and discovered they don't have diesel. I know where the new Kroger is, I've driven past it, but I haven't stopped there. On Tuesdays I usually leave Jackson at 4:30, which gets me out of Jackson before the traffic, but puts me in Clinton just in time for their rush hour. On Thursday I leave between 8:00pm and 8:30pm, and I think the Kroger fuel stations close at 9:00pm.
I used to check that one too, but the updates weren't recent and most people only bother to post the gas prices. The station with the cheapest gas price should also have the cheapest diesel price, but that's not always the case.
The ones around here close at 11pm.
Old April 24th, 2010, 20:16   #3448
Spdmini
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 JSW
Fuel Economy: 38 and climbing.

D2 is 2.99 in Fort Smith, AR.
Spdmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 21:36   #3449
Mac The Diesel Junky

Fuel Economy: 47

Yep its on its summer rise i paid $3.20 a gallon the other day and each week it goes up 5 to 10 cents!
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:21   #3450
TDI2Fan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1266

I will choose the latter every time, but that is only me.
I too would choose the latter. Precludes many other problems that could result from "old" diesel.
TDI2Fan is offline   Reply With Quote