www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 24th, 2009, 15:14   #16
ChiTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '02 Jetta
Default $ saved

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Crayon_Smell
I found this link off this forum somewhere when i was researching the antenna issue...
http://antennamastsrus.com/VW/VW%20J...01999-2005.htm

Scroll down and you will see the gasket. Just search for your model year first.
Good post. Worked great. Thx
ChiTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:25   #17
auto

TDI(s): jetta

Just picked up a 03 tdi golf for my daughter.The antenna base is shot and I need a new one.Question-Is there a good after market antenna and can you cut and reattach the antenna cable to the new base?
auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:42   #18
That_Crayon_Smell

TDI(s): 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto
Just picked up a 03 tdi golf for my daughter.The antenna base is shot and I need a new one.Question-Is there a good after market antenna and can you cut and reattach the antenna cable to the new base?
The cable that runs along the ceiling of your car to your radio shouldn't need to be cut. It can be disconnected where the antenna base pig-tail cable sits. That link posted above should have all you need for your golf. As you can see in some pics in this thread above, there is a tiny circuit board built into our base, so Im not sure if aftermarket antenna bases will work?

Personally, to avoid installation headaches and possible future failures, I suggest just sticking with OEM. Luckily for me I found a local guy here in Toronto that only deals with VW parts so i found a used antenna base for $20. (i made sure it was clean!). Or order from AntennaMastsRUS which appear to be oem also.

Before i installed my antenna base, i siliconed inside the gasket to the base to ensure a good waterproof seal.

Hope this helps.
That_Crayon_Smell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:35   #19
auto

After droping the rear of the head liner I can see the antenna cable.It runs under a sheet metal guard.I can't see it perfectly clear,but I can see enough that I can't locate a pig tail connection.The cable it self looks to be a smaller diameter than whats pictured in the link.Any golf owners with a monsoon radio replaced their base ??
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:49   #20
auto

I oredered a new base.The sales man says there is a connection about 6 inches up.I have to drop the sheet metal guard,with the screws buried out of veiw.FUN,FUN,FUN
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:22   #21
That_Crayon_Smell

TDI(s): 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto
I oredered a new base.The sales man says there is a connection about 6 inches up.I have to drop the sheet metal guard,with the screws buried out of veiw.FUN,FUN,FUN
Let us know how it goes.
As far as i've read, the mk4 jetta is the 'most' PITA diy for replacing the antenna base. So hopefully your golf will be easier for you. The hardest part for me was putting the headliner back in place after installation. I just fashioned a little hook tool to pull the liner back into place.
I dont recall a sheetmetal guard, but everything was easily removed with my ratchet. Just give yourself as much room as possible so that your not looking like some contortionist while doing this straight forward diy.
That_Crayon_Smell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:19   #22
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Crayon_Smell
Let us know how it goes.
As far as i've read, the mk4 jetta is the 'most' PITA diy for replacing the antenna base. So hopefully your golf will be easier for you. The hardest part for me was putting the headliner back in place after installation. I just fashioned a little hook tool to pull the liner back into place.
I dont recall a sheetmetal guard, but everything was easily removed with my ratchet. Just give yourself as much room as possible so that your not looking like some contortionist while doing this straight forward diy.
__. Yeah, the Golf and Jetta wagon are easier with clearance with the tail gate open. Once you get past the idea that you have to do it again and again with VW's poor component quality, it's not a bad job.
Old May 13th, 2010, 13:09   #23
Yreka
Veteran Member

Hmm, No AM and $hitty FM reception.. Sounds like I have a bad base too.. Any need to replace the mast at the same time ?

(assuming it isnt physically damaged)
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:28   #24
auto

Put my new base in.Great reception,am&fm For right now I left out the sheet metal form.I guss it's purpose is to support the head liner if your bang an object against it.Oh those Germans.
Old May 16th, 2010, 07:02   #25
Mass. Wine Guy
Veteran Member

Is there anyone in northeastern Massachusetts or southern New Hampshire who can help me fix this on my Jetta wagon?
Mass. Wine Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 14:33   #26
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass. Wine Guy
Is there anyone in northeastern Massachusetts or southern New Hampshire who can help me fix this on my Jetta wagon?
__. WG, I put up a photo "howto" on this maybe 3 years ago. On the wagon, it really is very easy. If you don't think you're ready to tackle it, it should be easy to find someone who can. Good luck with it.
Old May 16th, 2010, 16:16   #27
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

Not sure if you are done with this or not but if I were going through the trouble to do this I would replace it with the Audi antenna that also has XM built into it. ;-)
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 19:48   #28
balocco211

Fuel Economy: 49 ; 41
Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Crayon_Smell View Post
I found this link off this forum somewhere when i was researching the antenna issue...
http://antennamastsrus.com/VW/VW%20J...01999-2005.htm

Scroll down and you will see the gasket. Just search for your model year first.
Genus research! I just ordered a replacement gasket. AM\FM reception are working fine - I just needed OEM gasket.

Thanks!
balocco211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 16:49   #29
balocco211

Fuel Economy: 49 ; 41
Default Antenna base gasket replacement - easy

Just received gasket from www.antennamastsrus.com; polished wagon roof surface near antenna base, waxed around where gasket is to be installed, heated gasket in 185 degree oven for 10 minutes, installed thin side over base lip at rear of antenna base and stretched front of gasket into place, used small screw driver blade to seat gasket lip around antenna base.

This was a #*)( of a lot easier than removing headliner for an antenna base that is still in great working order.

Great recommendation on antennamastsrus. Prompt service, mail tracking, and of a good product. Product on par with OEM quality.
balocco211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 21:02   #30
aespTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '05 GLS

Finally got around to changing the base out this evening in my 2005 Jetta. For some reason the head liner was already popped off the lip at the rear. I thought maybe its already been replaced before?

I was able to carefully slip in a block of wood and work in the limited space. It was a pain but I was able to unscrew the nut using a crescent wrench, stick my hand in there to pull on the wring and unplug the base, then remove it from topside. I had my wife hold the new base up on top while I fumbled with the nut for some time until it caught the threads. Then I tightened down with wrench.

Hopefully that will cure my AM troubles.