www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old April 18th, 2006, 03:11   #1
hkeycoach

Fuel Economy: 38 MPG highway doing 80, best milage was going 40 MPH up and down mountains in a snow storm, got 46 MPG
Cool TDI WVO Damage survey

Hi all. Yes I,m a newbie. Great forum.
I am trying to decide if I should run WVO in my 2005 VW Jetta TDI wagon 24k (A4 engine I think). I have read about people hearing about other folks having problems but not many 1st hand accounts. My question is who has seriuosly damaged their TDI using WVO? This would include engine, fuel pump, and injector damage. Did I miss any large parts that could be damaged running WVO?
Not too interested in the run of the mill problems like, car overheating, clogged filter, user error, bad WVO and the like. Just interested in the real costly damage.
Thanks in advance Hkeycoach
hkeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 04:31   #2
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

Let me make this VERY clear...HELL NO!

Use ONLY #2 Diesel fuel OR Properly processed Biodiesel preferably made from Rapeseed to comply with Bosch and VW specifications. IF you use Biodiesel made from Soy or other oils make sure you purchase it from a reputable dealer that warrants it's quality.

You cannot afford the damage to your engine that the WVO will cause! Your injection units operate at 30,000 psi and REQUIRE low viscosity fuels, simply heating oil will not meet the requirements. Also the issues with comnustion by-products by virtue of not going through the transesterfication process (Biodiesel) will cause high wear rates and damage to your compression rings and injector needles.

WVO was a neat idea for older IDI diesels but has NO place in modern Direct Injection diesels.

DB
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 04:54   #3
hagar
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 & 38

You will be wise to heed the warning posted by Drivbiwire, he knows his stuff. Find a cheap older diesel VW to experiment on.
2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Limited(10-19mpg)
1997 Kawasaki ZX11(42-52mpg)
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 05:20   #4
naturist
Veteran Member

what they said!

The PD and common rail diesels simply can't handle high viscosity fuel. Pure soy biodiesel is arguably at or beyond the limit, and WVO is flat out over the line. Don't do it!
naturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 05:53   #5
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

Its your car. If you have the readily accessable funds to spend on repairs go for it. Bio in a blend might be OK but as everyone here suggests STAY away from WVO. The WVO is a complex issue and you just can not pump it into the tank without a complete process.

"A4 engine I think.." That nails it do not even give it another thought.
PeterV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:47   #6
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

To change the tone a bit...

WELCOME to the TDI-Club !!!!

With regard to running WVO, please heed the expert advice already given !!

Since you just joined us, please do a bit (?) of reading - especially with regard to the lubrication needs of your Pumpe-Düse engine (special oil required - VW spec. 505.01 or better...)

Enjoy your stay here!

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:55   #7
Nitrowolf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 MPG

He's looking for first hand accounts ... something I'd like to see as well. I'm sure he understands from the other threads that the general consensus is that "it's bad, mmmmk."

I know there are a few people running WVO on the TDI's, but I've not really seen any first hand accounts, other than user error, so ... I'd like to hear some first hand horror stories as well!
Nitrowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:57   #8
hkeycoach

Fuel Economy: 38 MPG highway doing 80, best milage was going 40 MPH up and down mountains in a snow storm, got 46 MPG

Thanks for your replys. What I am driving at is as you can see above quite a lot of no's but I have not read anywhere a first person account of anyone damaging a TDI running WVO. I have talked to few few folks that are running WVO in a newer TDI with no issue and a few companies that will install the second tank for me.
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:16   #9
vwrobert51
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49- 51 mpg #2 diesel

I CAN TELL YOU THIS!! FIRST THING TO GO WILL BE YOUR IN TANK FUEL PUMP, IT WILL BURN ITSELF OUT FROM TRYING TO PUSH SVO THROUGH WINDINGS, THEN YOUR INJ WILL SHEIR FROM TRYING TO PUSH SVO THROUGH MICRO FUELPORTS ON INJ CAUSING PINTLES TO SIEZE(COST PER INJ $900.00) YES SOME FOOLS ARE TRYING TO USE IT, AND AT THIS TIME THEIR CAR MAY BE RUNNING, BUT FAILURE IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!! WILL THEY ADMIT IT! i THINK NOT, AND WILL YOU GET WARANTY!!!! ABSOLUTY NOT! SO PLEASE TAKE OUR ADVISE. YOU CAN DO A BETTER JOB AT SAVING THE PLANET AND HAVE A LESS STRESSFUL LIFE IF YOU JUST STICK TO B-5 BIODIESEL! HOW DO I KNOW??? I HAVE A CAR IN MY SHOP NOW WAITING FOR CUST TO COUGH UP $$$$$$ FOR REPAIRS.
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:17   #10
McBrew
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/50/44 (usually running B100)

When you say...
Quote:
I have talked to few few folks that are running WVO in a newer TDI with no issue
Are you sure they are running it in a 2004+ (Pumpe Duse injection) TDI? Those injection systems are very high pressure and have very small nozzle orifices. No, I don't have first-hand experience with WVO in a PD TDI, but I would recommend not getting into that.

You might want to consider using -- even making your own -- biodiesel.
Still have 3 TDIs in the family fleet.
McBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:17   #11
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

Perhaps you will have some difficulty in finding those TDiers that will step up to the plate and say look at me the dummy and look at what I did to me car by using wvo. I do think taking a relatively new car and converting it to wvo so early in its life is a perilous route.

Processing of the WVO is too important. Too many variables.

Exposing a $19,000.00 car is not for me due to the costs associated vs the savings.

Now if you can get an older A3 or perhaps an early A4 have at it.

Could you supply the "newer" tdiers names perhaps they know something we do not.
PeterV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:26   #12
hkeycoach

Good info thanks. No I can not supply names just folks I have met who have installed the second tank in a few TDI. If I have a older 2005 am I driving an A3? It was built at the start of 2005

Thanks
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:34   #13
vwrobert51
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49- 51 mpg #2 diesel

no a-3 went out in 1999, you have a A-4 with a p/d eng.
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:36   #14
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

I'm afraid you have a bit of a learning curve issue...

A3, A4, A5, B4, etc. refer to body style. You can have a gasoline engine in those as well as a Diesel...

Engines are referenced using the engine code AHU, ALH, BEW, etc... you'll find yours most likely on a sticker on the timing belt cover...

Main thing is that the _type_ of engine in your car uses individual Fuel Injector Pumps - 4 of them - as well as a Lift Pump inside the fuel tank as well as an itermediate pump at the end of the camshaft... In North America these became available with the 2004 model year... the Unit Injectors are very expensive !!!!!!!

All the best,

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:04   #15
hkeycoach

Thanks Yuri

I have an engine code of BEW. My learning curve can only go up.

Hkeycoach