www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) > Non TDI Upgrades

Non TDI Upgrades A collection of non TDI engine upgrades, but upgrades for TDI vehicles

Old April 12th, 2006, 17:35   #16
NewJettaGuy
Veteran Member

Very cool...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongsli
Just bought a new Epson printer, check it out!

Last edited by tongsli; May 26th, 2006 at 16:36.
NewJettaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 08:27   #17
tongsli
Veteran Member

Looks like vwnavi.com is offline!
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF,Standheizung,Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 10:37   #18
pheller
Veteran Member

Quote:
Looks like vwnavi.com is offline!
They're still around.... looks like their domain registrar is having some issues.

vwnavi.com resolves to 216.119.81.247, however that server is not using different addresses per domain. Thus, you need to put an entry for vwnavi.com in your hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) to resolve locally.

--phil
pheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 11:33   #19
tongsli
Veteran Member

Thanks Phil!
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF,Standheizung,Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge
Old April 17th, 2006, 16:48   #20
pheller
Veteran Member

Default My Navi Version Information

Mine is originally version D. Toasted during my attempt to update to G. Re-flashed by Christian in Munich to G via Infineon C167 Bootstrap Loader method.

MCM SW: 1831R / 9128C / 3410R
SH SW: 1831 / 0102
NAV SW: 385.28 / 967.07 / NO ROM
NDB SW: 385.07 / 384.27 / ------
Kontrast: 30
NAV HW: 1002 / 06113

Project: VW2_DYN 00KW14
STAMP: Aug 31 2001 / 15:27:40
USER: FEO2HI / DEP : N
Ver. Name:
MCM: 00 KoPro: 00 SH: 00 Kombi: 00 00
ACT TEMP: 48 / FAN : OFF /S /N
pheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:34   #21
Funkaholik

Question about double din to Nav G conversion: I read the newbieNAV page and I'm unclear about the TMC. For a car with no FIS and no steering wheel controls, is a TMC still required for the NAV to communicate with the car's CAN BUS, or can I run without it?

Thanks!
runnin' on WVO thanks to fattywagons.com
Funkaholik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:47   #22
tongsli
Veteran Member

If you don't have FIS or steering wheel controls, you can install a MFD-D unit.

The G unit/TMC combo is only necessary if you have FIS or Multifunction Steering wheel.

I'm pretty sure Pencilneck's page says that.

Quote:
If your car came with a double DIN, then it would be best to get a Navi G. If your car has steering wheel controls and/or FIS, then you will have to get a Navi G and the TMC. No steering wheel control, no FIS, then you can use a Navi D version, but if you were to upgrade to a FIS cluster, the Navi/Radio info would not be displayed, only the Navi G will be able to do that, thus Navi G is best because you can upgrade in the future (you never know).
Old May 14th, 2006, 14:32   #23
classen
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43.98/34

OK I've finally taken the plunge. My Navi version G is on it's way from Europe. I have steering wheel controls and would like to upgrade to the FIS display when I find one and have the necessary cash. So for now I am looking for the proper TMC box and gathering the cables/antenna/map CDs/radio removal tools etc.
I'm pretty excited.
Old May 14th, 2006, 15:26   #24
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

you can add me to the list as well... my G system is sitting on my dining room table awaiting my next bit of vacation time to install it
VNT-17/22 | PD150 injectors & intake | R32 snorkel | Eurojet FMIC | GHL DP | Hi-flow cat w/ 2.5" exhaust | RC4 | DG Sigma SS & Panzer plate | Rieger shift knob | OEM dash kit | RSSR tails w/rear fog & euroswitch | W8 overhead | OEM leather Recaros | OEM HID's w/rheostat | FIS cluster | DVD player w/navi | R32 steering wheel & pedals | DRW 6-speed | SPEC 2+ clutch (DMF) | Shine RSB | Koni FSD's | Climatronic(!) | 35% tint
BlueCTTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 13:16   #25
MarkWaddle
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 MPG

Me too . I bought my car with a multifunction steering wheel and double-DIN Monsoon. I've since installed a Phatbox.

I have a chrome-ring FIS cluster that I received ages ago before I even knew about OEM Navi. Bought it from gti-de on German eBay. ~$350, can't remember. It came with zeroed mileage and the SKC stickered to it. Bought the wiring and stalk from WorldImpex.

I got my MFD version G from navi555 on German eBay. $721. I paid too much. I didn't do enough research. I'm seeing it go for $800-900 for the unit, CDs and accessories now on Vortex classifieds, but oh well. It came with European CDs that I am going to sell.

I got the accessories for the Navi unit from SteveZ1 here on TDIClub.
- Double DIN adapter - $80
- AM/FM antenna adapter - $25
- GPS antenna - $30
- Double DIN CD changer adapter - $10
- Radio removal tools - $15

I've paid for the TMC box from this auction, http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=4636998952, but haven't received it yet. $238.54

I have a VAGCOM. Now I need the SKC for my car so I can install the cluster and the rest all at once. I have a way to get it, but I can't tell. It will take me a month before I can get it and probably another month before I get to installing it.

Once its all said and done I will have a Navi with FIS, multifunction steering wheel and Phatbox. I'm stoked

Recommendations for others: Buy the Navi together with the CDs and accessories if you can. If you can't, I highly recommend all of the vendors I have worked with.
Navi G with FIS cluster / Phatbox
... and a handful of cosmetic improvements

Last edited by tongsli; May 16th, 2006 at 19:53.
MarkWaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:48   #26
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

Default Any how-to's needed?

Hey all - made a final decision and decided exactly what I'm installing in the car (04 Golf)...

To be installed:
MFD version G
TMC box
JL audio 75x4 amp
Boston acoustics 6.5 pro's; new wiring
Sirius satellite radio
(phatbox will remain)

To be removed:
Monsoon head unit
Monsoon amp
all stock speakers

My question is this: would it be helpful for me to attempt to document any of this install for a how-to thread, or do you guys think everything is covered elsewhere?

Now would be a perfect time for me to start taking pics while I'm accumulating a pile of parts on my dining room table (if it is needed). From what I can tell most everything has already been documented, but I can definitely give it a shot if you guys think it would be helpful, or if you think any part of it could stand to be beefed up a bit in the various threads...

LMK-
mike
VNT-17/22 | PD150 injectors & intake | R32 snorkel | Eurojet FMIC | GHL DP | Hi-flow cat w/ 2.5" exhaust | RC4 | DG Sigma SS & Panzer plate | Rieger shift knob | OEM dash kit | RSSR tails w/rear fog & euroswitch | W8 overhead | OEM leather Recaros | OEM HID's w/rheostat | FIS cluster | DVD player w/navi | R32 steering wheel & pedals | DRW 6-speed | SPEC 2+ clutch (DMF) | Shine RSB | Koni FSD's | Climatronic(!) | 35% tint
Old May 26th, 2006, 20:43   #27
tongsli
Veteran Member

Default What I'd like to see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCTTDi
Hey all - made a final decision and decided exactly what I'm installing in the car (04 Golf)...

To be installed:
MFD version G
TMC box
JL audio 75x4 amp
Boston acoustics 6.5 pro's; new wiring
Sirius satellite radio
(phatbox will remain)

To be removed:
Monsoon head unit
Monsoon amp
all stock speakers

My question is this: would it be helpful for me to attempt to document any of this install for a how-to thread, or do you guys think everything is covered elsewhere?

Now would be a perfect time for me to start taking pics while I'm accumulating a pile of parts on my dining room table (if it is needed). From what I can tell most everything has already been documented, but I can definitely give it a shot if you guys think it would be helpful, or if you think any part of it could stand to be beefed up a bit in the various threads...

LMK-
mike
How you will mount the aftermarket speakers.

With regard to the Monsoon Amp/speaker wiring. If you don't ever intend to re-install any of it (return to stock) then you should use the wires in the existing harness for the speakers since the + & - to each speaker is back at the amp.

Use one of the extra wires as your remote turn-on wire. It goes to the yellow connector of the T-20 (green/blue/yellow) It's pin 6.

The DSP wiring uses the same type of wires(twisted) to run the pre-amp outputs to the back. Or, you can get that adapter harness from Blaupunkt and run RCA's to the back. Both work. I've had DSP and have the Alpine now.
Pin 4 RF
Pin 1 RR
Pin 5 LF
Pin 2 LR

Pin 3 is ground/common
Old May 26th, 2006, 21:23   #28
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Or, you can get that adapter harness from Blaupunkt and run RCA's to the back.
Done. it's sitting on my table.

Thanks for the link a while back btw.. also picked up a dietz 1213 so I can wire my Sirius through the aux port.

Good call on the turn-on lead.. that'll save me having to run an extra wire. I still have a set of monster rca's to run the preouts to the rear of the car, so I'm just using those.

This plan might be a bit ambitious, but I was planning to replace the wiring from the amp to the speakers as well - how good is the stock monsoon wiring? I have all the monster cable from my old installation.. i'd rather go with whatever wire is better, considering i have to take most of the interior trim out anyhow, it wouldn't be *that* bad to replace wiring if need be
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:30   #29
tongsli
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCTTDi
Done. it's sitting on my table.

Thanks for the link a while back btw.. also picked up a dietz 1213 so I can wire my Sirius through the aux port.

Good call on the turn-on lead.. that'll save me having to run an extra wire. I still have a set of monster rca's to run the preouts to the rear of the car, so I'm just using those.

This plan might be a bit ambitious, but I was planning to replace the wiring from the amp to the speakers as well - how good is the stock monsoon wiring? I have all the monster cable from my old installation.. i'd rather go with whatever wire is better, considering i have to take most of the interior trim out anyhow, it wouldn't be *that* bad to replace wiring if need be
I've got an Alpine amp with the Votex speakers. Works great. It's your time. Lower A pillar, lower B pillar, sill trim pieces. Connection stations inside then through the door grommet.
Old June 11th, 2006, 18:15   #30
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

Angry so the first official snag has come up...

and a pretty big one at that.

Took the first door panel off today to gauge what I'd be dealing with. tweeters should be simple to replace, just a couple of plastic "welds" (for lack of a better term) hold them in - those should pop right out.

the woofers, however, are going to present me a problem. I bought a set of scosche adapter plates from crutchfield, which at first glance look like they would perfectly fit - they do seem to be fairly decent. However, the Boston 6.5 woofers have a fairly large frame enclosure, in fact big enough that the adapter will not fit around the top end of the speaker. (I'll try to get a couple pics up later to show what I'm talking about.) I'm either going to have to badly hack up the adapters (not probable), or come up with an alternate solution (probable).

The new speakers are about 1/4" deeper than the stock monsoons, so I still need to maintain at least the stock spacing or I risk having the rear window glass hit the top of the speaker when it is dropped. Not good, as I'm sure you guys who have upgraded are well aware.

Worst case scenario, I may have to have custom brackets made if I want to use these speakers. Anyone run into an issue like this, and if so, what did you do?