www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 6th, 2006, 23:09   #1
JerryPT
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/43/47
Question 2003 Jetta wagon roof rack question

Did any 2003 wagons come without the factory roof rack?

Has anyone removed a factory roof rack and covered or plugged the holes?

Does the Jetta wagon have the roof rack anchor points behind the rubber door seals like the Golf?

I want a roof rack that is easy and quick to install/remove. My existing Yakima rack, with mounts that grab the factory roof rails, take forever.

Jerry
JerryPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 01:32   #2
NFSTDI

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 39-44.75 MPG, cumulative average 39 MPG

I just purchased a Thule and I like it. I have not removed it yet but it did not take long to install.
2004 Ford E350 6 leaker
http://www.keysforcarsberkeley.com
NFSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 15:59   #3
Joe Fisher
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See fuelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryPT

I want a roof rack that is easy and quick to install/remove. My existing Yakima rack, with mounts that grab the factory roof rails, take forever.

Jerry
Sorry Jerry, I used to have a Yakima that mounts like yours. (Called a Lowrider ). It took like, 5 or 10 minutes to take off. If that's forever in your world...oh well.

It might take a while the very first time, but it's so quick after you do it that it seems almost instant. At least compared to the kind that went in the raingutters or on the roof that hooked to the door.

I now have a Thule, I got it cause I like the bicycle wheelholders better and no matter what it says on the box, they *do not* work well with round bars so I just sold my Yakima and went with a Thule setup. It's just as easy as the Yakima to take off and put on.
Old April 11th, 2006, 14:41   #4
JerryPT
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/43/47

Thanks Joe. Yes, that is forever to me. I'd like under two minutes. Do you have the rivet rack mounts behind the upper rubber door seals on your Jetta wagon? Those are the fastest I've seen. I'm also thinking of the Yakima permanent mounts that have slick covers for the bases when the rack is off. These would be quick also. I know if it takes long I will just leave the racks on, and I don't want the air drag.

Jerry
JerryPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 21:50   #5
Joe Fisher
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See fuelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryPT
Thanks Joe. Yes, that is forever to me. I'd like under two minutes. Do you have the rivet rack mounts behind the upper rubber door seals on your Jetta wagon? Those are the fastest I've seen. I'm also thinking of the Yakima permanent mounts that have slick covers for the bases when the rack is off. These would be quick also. I know if it takes long I will just leave the racks on, and I don't want the air drag.

Jerry
I actually could probably do it in 3 minutes. To me, it's way faster and slicker than the "rivet behind the door seal" method my rack attached on my Jetta sedan. I find the wagon far superior, the way the rack never touches the roof.

Jerry.. I'm sure if you practice you could break the two minute barrier.

Joe
Old April 12th, 2006, 05:39   #6
Radman
Veteran Member

To answer the question of 'is there rivets behind the door seal on the Wagon?' the answer is NO. At least on mine there are none.
2004 Passat Wagon TDI (sold)
2006 Liberty CRD (sold)
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote