Boost valve to DG racepipe

donvieira

TDI
2002 jetta
Instead of tapping into the intercooler plastic tube can you use the DG racepipe nipple to run the line to or is it too far away from the intercooler? Thanks, Don

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
thats where i would put the guage. it would tell you what is going into your engine . i would put the boostvalve as close to the turbo as pos. the quicker it gets the pressure to lower the spike the better

donvieira

TDI
2002 jetta
So should I tap right where the out pipe at the turbo is. Some pics on the page showed tapping after the intercooler, but if right out the turbo is ok I will go there. I did receive my ECM from TDI Racing today along with boost valve. My CEL still comes on, the performance is what I wanted (I spoke with Jo in detail of what my expectations were). I will be taking the car to the VW dealer in Stockton (they have a great computer/electrical whiz) to have Bobby Boucher (no not "waterboy", but VW Boy) fine tune the ecm/CEL light and to install the boost gauge from 42nd designs. Then I will report in 1,000 miles to the tdi page with any problems/leaks/mpg changes, etc. Last will be omi intake (not arrived yet) and clutch change but I think the clutch will last awhile since the chip tune was not outrageous. Thanks for all the help/vendors. I really enjoy the TDI. Don Vieira

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
bencarr23 said:
thats where i would put the guage. it would tell you what is going into your engine . i would put the boostvalve as close to the turbo as pos. the quicker it gets the pressure to lower the spike the better
Pressure is created by the restriction of flow. The turbo is providing the flow, the combustion chamber/intake valves are providing the biggest restriction. Therefore to catch the spike first, you want to pick it up as close to the restriction as possible - the intake manifold. The pressure wave then travels back through the intercooler tubing, then the intercooler, then finally at the outlet of the turbo. All the time this pressure wave is traveling from the cylinder back to the turbo (milliseconds), the turbo is putting out more flow than it was before you stomped on the throttle (at ~the same pressure), however it is going in to compressing the air in the intake, plumbing, intercooler and raising it's pressure. If you put pressure sensors at various places in the intake tract between the turbo outlet and the combustion chamber and had a fast data acq system or an oscilliscope you would see what I described above (along with the rebounding waves of decreasing amplitude back and forth between the turbo and combustion chamber after the first wave).

Clear as mud?

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
Fix_Until_Broke said:
Pressure is created by the restriction of flow. The turbo is providing the flow, the combustion chamber/intake valves are providing the biggest restriction. Therefore to catch the spike first, you want to pick it up as close to the restriction as possible - the intake manifold. The pressure wave then travels back through the intercooler tubing, then the intercooler, then finally at the outlet of the turbo. All the time this pressure wave is traveling from the cylinder back to the turbo (milliseconds), the turbo is putting out more flow than it was before you stomped on the throttle (at ~the same pressure), however it is going in to compressing the air in the intake, plumbing, intercooler and raising it's pressure. If you put pressure sensors at various places in the intake tract between the turbo outlet and the combustion chamber and had a fast data acq system or an oscilliscope you would see what I described above (along with the rebounding waves of decreasing amplitude back and forth between the turbo and combustion chamber after the first wave).

Clear as mud?
That makes sense. Would that then confirm car_54's assertion above?

Mike

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Yes - only place beter is on the intake manifold itself in the common place where all 4 runners meet. My boost gauge (and boost valve when the time comes) is connected to the far left (drivers) side vertical part of the intake. Difference is minimal, but I had someone available to pressurise the intake with an air compressor while I drilled/tapped the 1/8" NPT hole, so that's what I did.

donvieira

TDI
2002 jetta
Just installed the 42 draft design boost gauge. All hooked in at DG racepipe with TDI Racing boost controller. Nice setup by 42 draft. It's really cool with the led light upgrade, just like the dash. Last is the OMI pipe when it arrives and then the clutch/trans service. Love that TDI. Don