1986 Syncro Westfalia with ALH - update

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Finished the intercooler on the 1986 Syncro Westfalia today. I don't think I have cut and welded so many pieces of aluminium before!

This intercooler is a water cooled intercooler and I think this is about as short as one can get with the intake system! :cool: Turbo lag, should be almost nil from pipe loss! :D

It will be interesting to see how much more efficient the water cooled intercooler is over the traditional air cooled. Normally I am seeing temperatures in the 60C to 70C to highway cruising with the AHU intercooler i my TriStar - hopefully this will be better!

Here is a close up of the intake manifold with the MAP sensor and the K thermocouple so I can keep an eye on efficiency.

Next is the exhaust system and then the test drive to see how well it all works.

Hasenwerk

TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Beta said:
nice oil filler cap!
Do ya like that! :rolleyes: The cap is one of the highest items on the engine and because it is a Syncro, I want to retain all possible ground clearance so the oil filler cap is now gone. You can easily add oil via the oil filter. Now the highest thing is the injector pump and the dip stick. Now I have more ground clearance than a Subaru conversion and ever so slightly less than a regular 15 degree conversion.

Hasenwerk

TDI