www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:16   #1
STRANGETDI
Veteran Member

Default How to fix a sagging door?

I think this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

I have a 1999 2-door golf and my doors seem to be starting to sag a little. Is there any way to fix this?

Also it seems that it takes two pulls to open my door now. Is there an adjustment that needs to be made to make it work right again?
STRANGETDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:44   #2
oldpoopie

Fuel Economy: whats that?

I looked at my doors to fix sagging. Seems the hinges bolt to the body with bolts from both directions... That means that in order to re-align the hinge, the dash needs to be removed in order to get to the upper inside bolts......
That is my speculation only though. Anyone actually ever do this?

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 16:23   #3
doc_m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

well I don;t know about the sagging door but the double pulling can be fixed, I know you have to remove the lock cylinder and there is a little cable that sits in the end of the handle.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107

steps 17 to 23 here

Do work on cars like intake cleanings, nozzle swaps, brakes etc.... Hex usb + can now

2009 Jetta TDI Comfortline with ESP and beige leather interior. Evolution Imports Osiris Skidplate.

So far just over 10,200 kms on it

doc_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:34   #4
LessIsMore
Veteran Member

Fix sagging: Open door and lift up on door to adjust. I kid you not.
LessIsMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:45   #5
ToolNut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/45/38

We went to the local VW dealership (Patrick Motors in Auburn, MA) to have them correct the same problem on our 2001 2-door Golf. When we got the car back, there were all sorts of vice-grip markings on the hinges, but no real change in the door alignment. So much for precision workmanship.

We then went to a reputable auto body shop, and they said the best way is just to open the door and use a small bottle jack and a block of wood (to protect the paint finish) to gently lift the open door at the end furthest from the hinges. Lower the jack, try the door and lift again as needed. It's all about leverage. You're just reversing the process that caused the sagging in the first place. Also make sure the oval plastic sleeve isn't missing from its slot in the door sill/rocker panel.

Paul
ToolNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 19:23   #6
Audi5000TDI
Banned

Fuel Economy: 44,51, 59.08 mpg

Never lean on the top of your door when it's open. This is a car door, not a truck tailgate or a shovel handle.

Audi5000TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 15:26   #7
professor
Veteran Member

I do it slightly differently. First check that the door fits with equal gap when closed. Next, if it drops when opening, put a block of wood under the open end of the door, and an longer 2x4 sitting on the sill, and lift against the block. This is how the factories do it, they never unbolt.
professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:54   #8
STRANGETDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor
I do it slightly differently. First check that the door fits with equal gap when closed. Next, if it drops when opening, put a block of wood under the open end of the door, and an longer 2x4 sitting on the sill, and lift against the block. This is how the factories do it, they never unbolt.
I got around to it and this took care of it. 2X4 works! Just don't do it too much or else your door wont shut.
STRANGETDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:54   #9
jeffgraham

Fuel Economy: 52/47/40

Looks like this answers my problem on how to fix my door, but unfortunately I let it go too long so now I have a 3"x3" piece of paint chipped off my door. Went to dealership to get paint, but they only have touch-up pens.

Where can I get a small spray can of 2001 galactic blue (besides mixing myself).
jeffgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 09:56   #10
NB_TDi

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Best 56MPG

My mk3 does this. I kinda just live with it. But I did look into it. The hinges are mounted from the inside out so I'm not sure.....

1994 Jetta 1.8 2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jetta 2.0, 2010 Tiguan 2.0 TFSI 4Motion, 2014 Jetta 2.0
Everytime you post a picture with PhotoBucket, a TDI gets below 30MPG.
NB_TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:14   #11
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgraham
Looks like this answers my problem on how to fix my door, but unfortunately I let it go too long so now I have a 3"x3" piece of paint chipped off my door. Went to dealership to get paint, but they only have touch-up pens.
Where can I get a small spray can of 2001 galactic blue (besides mixing myself).
is your color a more purple blue or a more black blue?

the more purple blue is called Indigo Blue and is the color I have.

the more black blue is called Galactic Blue

and there is a 3rd color in the 2001 Jettas thats a little bit different than both and is called Atlantic Blue.

if you have your paint color code, you can get a spray can mixed up from www.paintscratch.com
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:25   #12
unL33T
Veteran Member

Well I just tried the jack method to fix this and just horribly bent the metal on the bottom of the door and a big chunk of paint (about 3" long by 1.5" high) is about to fall off.

Not sure what I did wrong but I definitely should've been more observant and stopped before I messed it up so bad. Maybe I didn't use a large enough piece of wood to distribute the load... *shrug*

Time to call a body shop I suppose.
Old November 10th, 2011, 13:29   #13
HaveBulldogWillTravel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
Time to call a body shop I suppose.
I'd say. OUCH!

HaveBulldogWillTravel is offline   Reply With Quote